Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people put so much effort into stereos in these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 03:48 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thaddeus,

Don't despare, we can be parteners in Unemployment and Pioneer CD-Players.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:55 PM
bron964
Racer

"...fire up the willing engine responding with a roar...tires spitting gravel i commit my weekly crime."
--Geddy Lee

it just wouldn't be the same pumping out of only a pair of 4x6's

to each his own
Old 12-07-2001, 07:11 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ben commented
c'mon, argue with my semantics (and bad spelling) if you want, but do you REALLY think that replacing hose clamps with functionally identical red ones is analogous to replacing a 14 year old tape deck & 2 watt per channel amp with a cd changer, external amplifier, subwoofers and component speakers.....?
Actually Ben I was't ragging on your spelling, I didn't even catch it until I re-read the message before submitting. But yes I REALLY do think it is the same, though not at the level of hose clamps. A lot of the people on this list go nuts about how "ricey" such things as carbon dash inserts and white gauge faces are, but in reality they add as much to the (visual) experience of driving for some folks and enhance their driving pleasure. As goofy as this sounds would you enjoy driving in your car more if it didn't have a cracked dash (I am just guessing it does since most do)? Would you enjoy driving as much if you dash lights didn't work or your seats were torn? That was what I was getting at.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:53 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The designers pull out their hair to keep weight down, and to optimize weight distribution.
Ianm, How much did their hair weigh?

Barchetta is Italian for little boat, IIRC, and word has been used by both Fiat and Ferarri as a model name. A song about a red Italian car doesn't work for me in a red Porsche, besides I drive faster than that try YYZ or Cignus X1.

I used to upgrade the sound in every car I owned, now it doesn't matter 'cause my hearing is shot...still have a system in the living room that rivals any thing you can think of though.

This has given me an idea for a thread.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:03 PM
bron964
Racer

YYZ was my second choice...and i don't think geddy lee was referring to either a Ferrari nor a Fiat
Old 12-07-2001, 08:24 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always wondered weather the quote should be credited to Lee (for singing it) or Peart (for writing it). Actually Red Barchetta is in my top few too, but that detail bothers me when I'm in the car. I hear the Fiats were popular in Canada.

Dave, Have Hemispheres on now!
Old 12-07-2001, 09:26 PM
TimC
Instructor

Originally posted by bron951:
<STRONG>YYZ was my second choice...and i don't think geddy lee was referring to either a Ferrari nor a Fiat </STRONG>
Peart was in fact aware of the Barchetta (pronounced with a hard k, like "chianti," not as Ged sings it) being a Ferrari - the first F road car, I believe. At any rate, the make of the car hardly matters concerning the spirit and context of the song (freedom through motoring, specifically the car in the context of male sexual freedom in the teen years). I believe this is covered in interviews on the Exit...Stage Left video.

T
Old 12-08-2001, 12:33 PM
Rog
Advanced

Hi,

Interesting thread guys. As an older guy, I'm not as into the stereos as I once was, but am slowly fitting the old 944na with a decent system. I've had (15-20 years ago) a system with 4 6.5" polk drivers, 4 100wrms amps, a pair of 12" subs with 200w each, and Sony's top of the line, followed by Yamahas top of the line head units. That was a killer system then, and easily worth double what the car was. Anyway, a lot of today's systems seem like overkill to me, but I did the equivalent when I was 20, so who am I to criticize. Besides, quality equip lasts. A pair of the old proton amps (bought in '82 and one of the first amps with a true 50w/ch and bridgeable) still run the system in my old truck.

On another angle, I'd say a porsche is luxury transportation by some standards. I'm an avid motorcyclist with &gt;5 motorcycles at the moment. Compared to them, the Porsche is a heavy, slow, comfortable luxo boat, so I say, why not stuff it full of stereo. Even a 968 is slow compared to all but my oldest (1965) motorcycle, so I'm not really looking at the 944 as a performance vehicle. Just something adequate in power, that handles reasonably well and isn't found on every street corner.

Look, we all do a lot of crap to our cars that makes them more personal, and is so far up the diminishing-returns curve that even many other p-car owners would call questionable. Stereos, like MAFs (especially on an NA) are one more way to do that)

Different strokes (I can certainly see why guys who live for track days and autocross would feel otherwise)

take care all
regards
roger
austin, tx

p.s. since I've already dated myself, I'm comfortable saying that I too am an old fan of Rush and Red Barchetta (and to further date myself, I consider Moving Pictures one of the later Rush Albums - It was my very first CD back in late '84 or early '85 bought in a PX in Germany while I was in the Army)
reg
rog

Quick Reply: Why do people put so much effort into stereos in these cars?