Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optibelt Belt Tensioning Tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 12:03 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Optibelt Belt Tensioning Tool

Several have inquired about the belt-tensioning tool available from Markus Blaszak for around $50.00
Reference thread: 944S Belts, Rollers, and Pump

Here are some close up pictures of the tool:

An interesting tid bit: The cardboard box on which I sat the tool for these pictures is "tensioned" at 70 lbs.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:51 PM
keith
Drifting

Isn't that the "Krickett"?
Old 10-24-2001, 01:11 PM
Mccray
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

Thanks, I was really curious about it. Guess I'll wait for Markus to respond to my email so that I can get one to use.

Marshall
Old 10-24-2001, 03:28 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Optibelt gives those away, I have at least 10 of them myself. Optibelt use to give them away when you purchaed belts.

If some clown it selling them, save your momey and get one from Opti direct, or call conti, they give them away as well.

If people are paying 50 bucks for a give away knick knack, I will be happy to sell mine for 10 bucks less that he charges.
Old 10-24-2001, 05:38 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Perhaps someone could convert the measurement on the Porsche tool to something that can be used with that tool. Either mathematically or by simply adjusting the belt with the Porsche tool and then measuring with this tool.
Would save a lot of Porsche people a lot of money
Old 10-24-2001, 06:16 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Great idea Adrial!!! Actually know someone with the "tool" and I have the Kriket. I will try to get this thing calibrated or at least verify the values from Markus.

Cheers
Old 10-24-2001, 06:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
That sure looks like the Kriket I bought. My mechanic took it to his job and tested it on the diesel trucks he works on regularly. He basicly told me that it confirmed the measurments he gets with his old tools - his hands!

But I think I spent less than $30 from Kriket.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:44 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Once again, I learn the hard way.

At least now some of you can skip this lesson. Glad I could be of service.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:56 PM
IceWater
Instructor

Fletch, can you give details on how to get one of those for free?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-24-2001, 07:11 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

The Guys that make the Kricket (cant remember their name) told me that they sell them at NAPA for like 14 bones. Some NAPA places have them... some have no clue what your talking about. The Kricket maker dudes will sell you one directly and bill you later but they say that they don't usually sell to non-business in small quantities. Therefore they can't handle credit cards, etc etc. Well it turns out a lot of people order the things, recieve them through the mail and then don't pay the bill. Shady people. The thing is simple and has some serious cheese factor to it but it does work . If you want one send them the friggin money.

Ok wait I got it its HMC International, sorry still cant find a link.

Old 10-24-2001, 07:34 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Tom,
When Optibelt began to sell the Marathon belt line in the USA they were giving the large distributors these tools as a promo item, when I purchased belts, I got tools

I would suggest checking the optibelt web site. A search on google resulted in numerous references and one I saw someone buying one for 9.00, others said they get them from gates.

I have even seen these at the SEMA show, they are not hard to find, and for sure not worth anything close to 49.95.

My experience with this tool is that they are junk. So you learn a belt is at "x" tension, what do you do if it makes noise? you tighten it, so who really cares what the belt tension tool says.

IMHO using this for a timing belt for your Porsche is not a safe alternative to the factory tool, which by the way is another story.
Old 10-25-2001, 08:16 AM
IceWater
Instructor

I wouldn't use one for a timing belt either, but since I have a 968, I don't need to. I wouldn't go through the trouble of getting one for the accesory belts, either. If they're too loose, they squeal and you tightnen them. If they're a little too tight, no big deal. Its really only for the balance shaft belt that I would want one. Just to make sure that the tension is in the right ball park so I'm not overloading the bearings.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-05-2001, 10:39 PM
Rog
Advanced

Hi Gang,

Didn't find much in an archive search so here's my question/problem, in case anyone has an idea how to help:

Well, I've hit an empasse on my first timing belt change on my '86 944NA. (I've done several on Audi/VWs and many many on Ducatis)

I'm using a friend's optibelt gauge and have got myself to the point where I can make very consistent measurements, but, It's not clear just where on the upper belt run I should be placing the red indicator arm and where the pressure point (immediately below where the finger rests when using the gauge) If I choose the obvious and intuitive middle of
the belt run (which puts my finger/pressure points a couple inches lower than middle) the belt will bottom out on the support stud for the cambelt idler. This of course gives an artificial reading. (I've correctly removed said idler and the metal guide from my late version water pump)

Any pointers on anyone who's already done this or can think of something wrong I'm doing? I can't be the first person who has ran into this problem -- famous last words

TIA for any assistance.
Regards
Roger Albert
Austin TX 86 944 NA
Old 12-06-2001, 01:00 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

944S Belts, Rollers, and Pump- there is a description of how a fellow lister uses his tool.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Optibelt Belt Tensioning Tool