Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open letter to PCNA...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001 | 06:55 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs down Open letter to PCNA...

Yeah, that's right, I'm talking to y'all.... got your fancy advertising packet for the Cayenne in the mailbox today... ain't interested.

First, I neither need nor want a fancy over-priced SUV to impress the neighbors with; couldn't afford this'un if I did.

Second, I have serious doubts about y'all making an SUV; it's not your area of specialty, and you may have missed the peak of the frenzy.

Third, the way you've treated the owners of your older water pumpers is a shame. Judging from your current advertising, our cars never existed, ever tho' the 944 saved your corporate financial butt in the mid 80's. All this hot smokin' BS in the ad packet about "heritage".... but not one mention or pic of the 924/44/68, or the 928... just the 356 & 911's.... why do I smell a similar fate for the Cayenne in a decade or less?

Finally, your tendency to deny any and all responsibility for 968 pinion bearing & Variocam failures tells me you don't care about your past customers. If I did buy a Cayenne, I'd figure you could kill the product line and wash your hands of me totally, on zero notice. "Heritage repeats itself." Yeah, baby, and that hype line cuts _both_ ways!

So stay outta my mail box with your silly SUV, OK?
Jim, "Heritage is what you make it.... _all_ of it."
Old 12-03-2001 | 07:02 PM
Tabor
Drifting

In PCNA's defense, the watercoolers are in the History section of their website here.
Old 12-03-2001 | 08:18 PM
aka 951
Pro

How about reps from PCNA going out to local racetracks and voiding warranties of new 996s that use slicks because the new engines are junk and can't handle high g-forces...that one pisses me off...
Old 12-03-2001 | 08:32 PM
C DeVito
Racer

Funny when Porsche introduced 996 a friend of mine got the invite to see it but I didn't. He has been a Cadillac owner for the 20 years I've known him. I thought a current owner would be a natural repeat customer. But no Porsche didn't think so.
Now we all got the Cayenne ad.
Are they saying they need us now or their not really sure who their target market is?
Old 12-03-2001 | 08:38 PM
Dave
Race Car

The latter. If they had a grasp of reality they wouldn't need a target market for an SUV.
Old 12-03-2001 | 09:46 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

i think it's important to differentiate the marketing dept. and the engineering vs. c-level.

i think that they want people to remember that the eighties have passed now and want to stick the marketing concepts to those within the "evergreen", type 911 crowd. regardless if the types 924 and 944 saved the company from bankruptcy. bummer.

jim, we feel your pain. i just would like to see another front-engined, water pumpin 2+2 coupe come out again - that would be great.
Old 12-03-2001 | 10:58 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Excellent, Thaddeus.... y'all have to remember that I'm living in what's been called the "New Age capitol" of the US (wasn't like that when I moved here in the '60's)... lottsa _strange_ people... the local joke a while back was about the New Age chick who couldn't get her Subaru to start, and asked if maybe the crystal on the dash needed recharging....

Then there's the tattoo'd man in a thong wandering downtown...and the unwashed migratory street people... I better hush...

Jim.... redneck to the bone!
Old 12-03-2001 | 11:08 PM
booster
Racer

How many people who buys one are going to know about their "heritage" anyway their going to buy one because it's says Porsche on it and cost bookoo bucks and will impress their friends who drive their Land Rovers and BMW suv's to the country club or kid's to soccer. I just can't wait to see one with a big friggin soccer ball sticker stuck to the rear.
Old 12-03-2001 | 11:12 PM
booster
Racer

Jim wanna go hang around uptown? Maybe now that Lenni ****nik is out things may change back to normal (NOT)!
Old 12-03-2001 | 11:12 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Excellent insight into the current marketing campaign Jim. What really peeved me about the whole "heritage" cayenne introduction site was the constant and annoying ties to the 959 just because of the awd. I saw no mention of water coolers when they introduced the low-tolerance liqui-cooled 996 motor. BUT, keep in mind that plans are on the way for a new *928*. And who knows, since the boxster has moved up so high in the eschelon of the Porsche model line, they might need another affordable car (dare I say 944?) to save them from the sales overall disaster of the cayyene pepper SUV. I mean, with the hype all gone, who would want to spend boxster or even 911 money on a friggin Porsche SUV?????
Old 12-03-2001 | 11:35 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Hell, Booster... I don't hardly go downtown in the daytime anymore, even. Too dang many oughta-be mental patient types, & too many with too few surviving brain cells...

I draw the line at Hot Dog King on Biltmore Ave., and around City Auto Parts on Merrimon, and from the Tunnel over to Jan Davis's... No man's land in between... (yep, I know _all_ about the cultural / economic / residential revival; I also know what I've seen...)

BTW, you're no doubt right about the 'S' in the other thread.. After thinking about it, my bud buys & sells Volvos.. probably hasn't a clue about the existance of a 16v car with a na nose. Sounds like somebody got a helluva deal at $5K, unless it was a junker.

Jim, "Go, Leni, go! Go home! Stay there!"
Old 12-04-2001 | 10:22 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

There is just one hope in the impending Cayenne stupidity - maybe the money they make selling the thing to status concious fools will fund a new factory racing program. Getting beaten by BMW is embarassing.
Old 12-04-2001 | 05:21 PM
andrewg
2nd Gear

Jim;

It is more than a little dissappointing that Porsche appears to have no interest or ability to capitalize on the enthusiasm and goodwill the 944/968 series cars have generated. They are obviously content catering to the rich and foolish. ( Who was it that said " Youll never go broke gouging the rich" ? ) We collectively are know as "stranded assets". Porsche has lost the ability or interest to cater to our market segment. Too bad.
Old 12-04-2001 | 07:01 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Adages like "It's all about money" and "Follow the money" provide all the answers. Porsche is a full blown capitalistic company that has lost the flavor that the original ownership brought to the table. As usual, when the founder steps down, his passion and vision becomes lost.

Pure and simple, their passion is to be as profitable as possible. They're pushing the envelope of what they feel is acceptable to themselves (board of directors) and their existing customer base. And I supposed they're looking over at fellow German competitors BMW and M-B (Oops Daimler-Crysler) and thinking SUV's. $$$$$$

That said, I hope they fall flat on their keyster. It's sad to see a marque with so much racing heritage and fabulous sports car history losing it's identity and personality.

Mike

P.S. Personally, I'm going to wait for a Ferrari pick-up.
Old 12-04-2001 | 09:17 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Mike, why wait, you could convert one of Ferrari's tractors (I saw one, or was it a Lamborghini) to accept a flat bed. You could become the creme de la creme of hillbilly society!!

Quick Reply: Open letter to PCNA...