Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought a ChumpCar!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 03:20 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Default I bought a ChumpCar!

...now what do I do with it? Haha.

(Well, besides run the snot out of it...of course!)

It just ran a short 6 hour enduro, so it's had a lot of work done recently. The timing belt was done within the last year. It seems to run pretty well, but then again, I've never had a 944 before and don't really know what to expect.

Any advice for a 944 n00b? Are there common failure items I need to look into fixing before I enter it into anything? What do I need to watch out for with this car (and make sure I have spares of)?

A quick search shows that a lot of y'all also run without the back window. The last team pulled it off for cooling purposes, but would there be any situations where we'd want to have it to stick back on there?

I just found out that my usual track/DD/everything car has a strut that's borked, so I may start playing around with the 944 more. Well, that's my excuse, anyway. Hehe.
Old 04-02-2013 | 04:30 AM
Alpineace
Pro

are you driving with those shoes???
Old 04-02-2013 | 08:22 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

unless it's a lexan rear window, you will not be allowed to run with Chumpcar with the rear hatch.

Looks to be an early car, I'd be getting an 86 drivers side spindle, the early cars had a weak left front spindle due to how they did the speedo pickup.

I'd be doing rod bearing frequently. Not a hard job but when they go, they go quickly. While doing that I'd also make sure the oil pickup tube is reinforced. A cheap fix, but if it cracks you're about 0.5 seconds from no oil pressure.
Old 04-02-2013 | 09:28 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

F1's advice is good. If the oiling and cooling systems are up-to-snuff, it should run pretty well.

Obviously, keep an eye on suspension bushings and wheel bearings for wear. Keep an eye open for torn CV boots - especially on the side with the exhaust.

Probably a good idea to keep clutch master and slave cylinders in your spare parts bin... along with a spare set of speed and reference sensors.

ChumpCar does not allow a car to run with any glass other than the windshield - headlights, side glass and the hatch have to be removed or replaced with lexan. Personally, I'd put a lexan hatch on if you're going to run ChumpCar to keep the flames out (in the event of an under-the-car-oil-fire). If you're just going to run with PCA, put a glass hatch on - they're practically free.
Old 04-02-2013 | 09:43 AM
carlege
Drifting

Did it come with the woman?
Old 04-02-2013 | 11:25 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

The woman's me, heh. And yep, I drive with those shoes. (Not in a race, obviously, but they're comfy for everything else.)

It's an 83.

I know it had some suspension parts replaced recently--I'll have to see the full list of what's been done and check a few of these things. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013 | 02:51 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

The picture doesn't work.
Old 04-02-2013 | 04:04 PM
BikePilot
Racer

Picture works fine for me.
Old 04-03-2013 | 10:54 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
The woman's me, heh. And yep, I drive with those shoes. (Not in a race, obviously, but they're comfy for everything else.)

It's an 83.

I know it had some suspension parts replaced recently--I'll have to see the full list of what's been done and check a few of these things. Thanks!
I was going to ask did it come with the girl also then I figured out you WERE the girl, very cool purchase.

One of these days I have to get some buddies together and try to do a lemons race with a 924 or something.

And I love my five fingers shoes during the summer, once you get use to them they are like walking barefoot except sharp gravel no longer hurts your feet.

michael
Old 04-03-2013 | 11:20 AM
carlege
Drifting

im not sure but if you investigate a little i remember hearing the crank on the 83 was cross drilled and the rods were forged from the factory. Maybe someone can chime in with whether they have heard the same.

-people tend to run 20w-50 oil in their cars.
-Might want to look into getting a bigger oil cooler

Rod bearings: Spec racers in my area change out their rod bearings every race year. So if you dont have any knowledge of them being changed and when, i would suggest that be on of the first things you would want to do.
Old 04-03-2013 | 11:25 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlege
im not sure but if you investigate a little i remember hearing the crank on the 83 was cross drilled and the rods were forged from the factory. Maybe someone can chime in with whether they have heard the same or not.

-people tend to run 20w-50 oil in their cars.
-Might want to look into getting a bigger oil cooler

Rod bearings: Spec racers in my area change out their rod bearings every race year. So if you dont have any knowledge of them being changed and when i would suggest that be on of the first things you would want to do.
Don't about the crank but it has been suggested that I use the rods from my '83 parts car when I rebuild my engine because they are forged.

michael
Old 04-03-2013 | 11:56 AM
teamking
Pro

DME Relay would be another spare to keep on hand.

Enjoy!
Old 04-03-2013 | 12:28 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

sweet, keeping pferd in the family. We were not able to make the 6 hour enduro, but we will hit the next one. That car is a blast to race against.
Old 04-03-2013 | 05:50 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F40LM
Don't about the crank but it has been suggested that I use the rods from my '83 parts car when I rebuild my engine because they are forged.

michael
Yes the early 83's and some 84's have the cross drilled crank. While forged rods are better, an NA motor sees such low stress compared to the Turbo's, you should sell the forged rods and buy other go fast stuff.
Old 04-04-2013 | 01:43 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Sweet! I got the right one for a change?

dizzyj - the H2R enduro mandates hilaaaaaariously high treadwear tires. They're still on the car, so my test drive kinda felt like a dorifto session at times, heh. I know I was slow but I was laughing so. much! At least the slides are pretty easy to catch.

Quick Reply: I bought a ChumpCar!