Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought a ChumpCar!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing worth noting on the cars: Warn any co-drives and yourself not to be too agressive in throwing the shift leaver around. Some people have reported that the gear selector can go beyond where it's meant to and get stuck.

Yes, that's as technical as I'm ever planning on getting with regards to gearboxes. Especially transaxles.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
Sweet! I got the right one for a change?

dizzyj - the H2R enduro mandates hilaaaaaariously high treadwear tires. They're still on the car, so my test drive kinda felt like a dorifto session at times, heh. I know I was slow but I was laughing so. much! At least the slides are pretty easy to catch.
I thought we could run direzzas?. I'd guess that the suspension is not setup correctly. i know steve was saying that pferd was way slick, but our 944 chumpcar is completely hooked up. We were doing 2:07's at tws, where I think spec944 record is in the 2:04's. not bad for rookies in a ****box
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

2:01's for SP1 but still a good time for Chump
Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 944 Chumpcar team ran a 14hr enduro at Road Atlanta on Dunlop Direzzas, which all the drivers were pretty happy with grip performance, and after the race it looked like they were hardly even worn at all!

Congrats on the new track car!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizzyj
I thought we could run direzzas?. I'd guess that the suspension is not setup correctly. i know steve was saying that pferd was way slick, but our 944 chumpcar is completely hooked up. We were doing 2:07's at tws, where I think spec944 record is in the 2:04's. not bad for rookies in a ****box
H2R's rules asked for 380? TW tires. I don't know if they'll keep or tweak that rule, though. They let us keep Z1s on the Fiat we ran last time because we were mostly in it for the lulz. We won exception class (...because we were the only thing in it)!

I'll probably pick up a set of Z2s for Chump/LeMons, though. I looooove the Z1s I've had, so I guess it's time to try the Z2s.

Is it weird to be super duper extra mega ultra über excited about having 15" tires? The 18s on my daily driver/track/autocross/only/"it's paid for, so I'm going to hoon it" car suck suck suck suck SUCK to buy.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Bumping the Chump's thread because I have a bit of a predicament: my teammates really, really want to close off the rear end. Aaaarrrggghhh.

Two reasons:
1. The car's rump end is a little light and they'd like to plant it down with some kind of spoiler.
2. They're afraid that the El Porschemino pickup bed back there is creating drag. I don't think this is a major issue since the previous owners didn't notice any change in lap times from taking it off, but whatever.

So, here's the chumptacular fix that the previous owners came up with to plant the rump down a bit more:

Even I'd kind of like to take that out--we're thinking that adding an extra crossmember in the cage behind the driver/above the pickup bed-trunk might help.

The other idea was to add a wing of some kind--maybe like the little lip spoiler that's on the hatch (did that actually do anything or was that just for looks?), or even a giant because racecar wing. We'd have to play with it, I guess.

Right now, the idea (since we don't have the hatch anymore) is more of a pickup bed lid (flat across instead of sloped) instead of making a new hatch out of lexan. The issue I'm worried about there is that we're aiming for a summer ChumpCar race, and that hatch blows some nice, cool air back at the driver.

Would covering up the El Porschemino bed instantly result in schwetty driver *****? Also, does anyone else run with a hatch on and still manage to get some kind of airflow in the cabin area?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Somewhere there is a bodybuilder in a Gold's Gym looking unsuccessfully for another 45lb weight.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

I realize that the point is to win, which means speed. But if I understand Chumpcar/Lemons racing, the most basic difficulty is to finish, which means endurance. If closing up the rear will increase driver fatigue due to heat without an exceptional trade-up in speed, then I'd leave it open.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

What about a roof scoop? Cool shirt?

We ran ours in CC w/o a hatch for 3 years and I can't recall a race where heat was an issue. That was midwest though and I realize it is hotter down there in Texas. Maybe just me, but I hate the idea of closing anything off. Soon as it's done, you'll have to get in there for some reason.

As other's have said, reliability is key. Maybe you already have done all this, but if not, I would focus on getting the car in the best shape possible and collecting some spares first...

944 can be a great CC platform, but it all comes down to good prep.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Alpineace
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the battery back there.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Luckily, it looks like the last owners made it pretty reliable to start off with, which is good. Now my teammates are just nitpicking.

Originally Posted by Alpineace
put the battery back there.
I like this idea. though.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else think that a woman who owns a Porsche is the sexiest thing ever?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

If you're worried about heat, put the cool shirt system back there. Personally I'd be getting every pound out of the car possible.....

Buy a lexan hatch, put a NACA duct in the side window (I use a marine blower) and the cool shirt. You're wearing a freaking oven mitt so airflow means jack all at 95 degrees ambient....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
We ran ours in CC w/o a hatch for 3 years and I can't recall a race where heat was an issue. That was midwest though and I realize it is hotter down there in Texas.
If only you could have experienced VIR the year you missed, oh. my. god...brutal. I seriously wanted the car to blow up so we could go home.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

if only you could have experienced VIR the year you missed, oh. my. god...brutal. I seriously wanted the car to blow up so we could go home.
Thought you might have something to say about that!

Quick Reply: I bought a ChumpCar!