Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuk the wastegate sh*t.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 04:00 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post *** the wastegate sh*t.

The wastegate removal would have, I SWEAR TO GOD taken me 35 minutes (give or take a minute) if not for the utter gayness of the setup and unbreakable bolts. I timed it from the time I pulled the car into the garage.

Oh my f.ing god that is FUKing ridiculous.
1) You can't get a flat connection from the socket to the 13MM bolts that connect the gate to the pipe.
2) You can't get a flat connection from the socket to the 10mm bolts that connect to either, if porsche takes an extra 1 minute and looks at this **** they see, oh yeah. WHAT THE HELL.
3) I put an ungodly amount of torque on the 13MM bolts with a wrench and it rounded one of the bolt heads just a smidge and bent my wrench head, and NO these are NOT cheap wrenches.
You can say all you want but I don't give a fck, if you put THAT MUCH torque on one of them and have the correct size wrench, and it doesn't come off, IT'S FCKING STUPID.. YES I was going the right way.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:13 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Dude, BREATHE, calm down, relax. I had a hell of a time with the wastegate too, but this is the case when dealing with Exhuast bolts (which you are).

There is an EXCELLETE procedure on Lindsey's Web site, USE IT. I busted EVERY SINGLE BOLT that holds the wastegate to the exhuast pipes (it started out with one, then two, and I realized AHH HELL, and just busted them all off). Once off, I drilled and retapped them all (broke my tap 4 times, was tapping with a nub by the end of it) and when out and bought all new studs.

It's do-able. It sucks, but it is doable
Old 02-01-2002, 04:19 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Dude.. chill, and as always, think before you go after something.

I put penetrating oil on the bolts the night before, and I had the whole thing out in 10 minutes. No broken wrenches, bloody knuckles, or rounded off nuts.

A hint.. there are a lot of things on the 951 that do not seem that they were installed the best way possible. Wait until you pull the turbo! round off one of the allen head bolts and you will be pulling the whole motor. Best thing is to think things over, do some plannng, and you wil see that most of it makes perfect sense.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:31 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Craig944[951], tell us how you really feel

Relax, inhale, exhale... think happy toughts

I agree with Perry, penetrating oil a couple of hour before (or the day before) and before tackling the job is a wise thing to do...

When I did the clutch job I did precisely that. Took everything out without problems (took the wastegate out to replace the gasket, as a preventive measure). By no means do I want to say that there were moments I cursed the hell out of the car and all that existed, but planning helps.

There are worst areas or parts to get to... I will soon start working on replacing the turbo (as I write this the parts are in the hands of UPS in Jacksonville on its way to Orlando) and from the readings on this site, I know it will not be as easy as dealing with the wastegate...

Anyhow... as one famous philosopher once said “patience my little grasshopper...” and put some anti-seized when putting everything back.

Hang in there!!! There is nothing you can't solved with time, patience, and the help from the team here!
Old 02-01-2002, 04:37 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, our cars aint BMWs or Japanese even. On those cars, the back-side nuts would be welded to the flanges so you won't need to do the double-wrench macarena. Each and every single time I take one of those messy things off, I always braze a nut to the back side to make for easy re-install and removal the next time.

Why Porsche chose to weld only a single nut on the turbo crossover pipe, I have no idea.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Danno:
<strong>Why Porsche chose to weld only a single nut on the turbo crossover pipe, I have no idea.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LMAO!!!That is the only that has to be done I guess.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

I bet it has something to do with exhaust ALIGNMENT!
Old 02-01-2002, 05:34 PM
tt9714
Racer

Dear Craig944[951],
Please refrain from using profanity on this discussion board. It offends me, and I am sure that I am not alone.
-tt9714
Old 02-02-2002, 01:18 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The wastegates pre the two piece bypass are a pain. That "hanger" could also go off the flange; and to go up so high. But as everybody says,,stay cool. Think of the money you saved by doing it yourself!!

You did forget the "GERMAN BEER" step....
Old 02-02-2002, 01:44 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the german beer step is more difficult for us minors than the removal step seemed to go for me.

My turbo exhaust bolts came off easy too! I didn't need to use heat any where. Don't give up Craig. Welcome to the turbo world
Old 02-02-2002, 01:47 AM
instigator
Racer

hey TT please refrain from refraining (shut up shuten up)

p.s. i'm not offended i say **** all the time

i'll probably have only one star tomorrow
Old 02-02-2002, 02:30 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

I don't have a turbo or wastegate to deal with (yet), but why are things so tight? Exhaust temps getting high and bonding things together? Oxidization? Just curious as to some of the physics. Why, Why, Why... Yes, I was probably an annoying child
Old 02-02-2002, 06:38 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yah, heat and oxidation causes these bolts & nuts to literally corrode onto the flanges (which corrode also). When I replaced my turbo 3 years ago with a bigger aftermarket one, I used some coated Audi nuts and stainless bolts. Last weekend when I went to remove everything to replace the rod-bearings, it all came apart with no penetrating-oil needed. No excessive force needed or even a "squeek" from the bolts.

I had previously also brazed the nuts onto the backside of the flanges, and let me tell you, this cuts down the removal & re-install time by 50% easily!
Old 02-02-2002, 06:51 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno,

What do you mean by "braze"? I assume you're talking about some form of welding or something(?) to keep one end from moving(?). I've never been into either the turbo OR wastegate, so I may not be picturing it correctly...
Old 02-02-2002, 08:57 AM
DennisR
Advanced

Lightbulb

Righty tighty...leftie loosey.

Quick Reply: Fuk the wastegate sh*t.