Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuk the wastegate sh*t.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brazing is not welding in that you're not melting the two parts permanently together. It's more like high-temperature soldering. Dentists typically use silver or gold-based solders at 600 degrees-F to do metal-work or make custom tools. Brazing is a little higher at 800-1100 degree-F and uses a brass filler (kinda like a metal glue). This is about 1/3rd the temperature of welding and leaves the parts less traumatized. You can also re-heat the joint later, melt the brass and separate the parts later (like replacing a stripped nut).

Now that I'm taking my exhaust apart for a second time, I'm really glad I took this extra step because I'm saving hours upon hours of frustration.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote] i'll probably have only one star tomorrow

<hr></blockquote>
5 (for honesty)
Old 02-03-2002, 12:30 PM
*Rothmans*
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey Craig.
It's been my experience that a little planning goes a long way, plus having the right tools. We have all skinned a few knuckles and snapped a few bolt heads (usually exhaust related or close by).
Nothing beats having your car securely raised, and taking the time the night before to SOAK all the bolts you want to loosen in a good penetrating fluid. HOSE IT DOWN several times.
Porsche uses high quality bolts that stand up to the test of heat and time, they just need a little help to loosen.
Another good item to add to your socket set is a
slip on bar that fits over your ratchet handle (about 2 feet or 60 cm long) Since torque = force X radius, you will loosen bolts with less force by increasing the radius.
Another good thing to have is a second set of hands. Invite your best friend over and say "dude I need your help". It's good to have a second opinion there also.
Even a propane torch to heat the offending nut or bolt surround may help with loosening the item.
Reading a tech article ahead of time or a 944 manual (learn from others headaches) is a must.
We all share our frustrations on the list from time to time, even better, our mechanical victories.
Instead of sounding like Tim the Tool Man, I would rather sound like a ratchet wielding superhero as I conquer my hotrod once again.

Good luck, take care, and happy planning for your next mechanical modification!
Old 02-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Renntag
Pro

drink a beer, take a deep breathe, save the profanity for church, (jk)...
Just think about what you are trying to take apart. Be smarter than the car. I have never heard anyone complain about the way a Porsche was put together.

Take you car to a Porsche tech and sign up for anger management classes
Old 02-03-2002, 07:53 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote] I have never heard anyone complain about the way a Porsche was put together <hr></blockquote>
Colin, Thermostat, 'nuff said
Old 02-03-2002, 08:19 PM
2coupes
Advanced

See post of WHY do I feel bad for Craig.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:27 AM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

We had to use an impact wrench after letting them soak for 5 hours, a STRONG impact wrench. Then we cut the others we couldn't get.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:53 AM
GENX951
Cruisin'

Colin- Yes, I have to admit that I've heard many complaints about the way Porsche's were put together, especially 951's. Many people contend that 911's are easier to work on- the 951 engine is just shoe-horned into the bay. I've got a few complaints about some specific areas of the cars that I feel are not "put together" well either. I realize that every car has it's difficult areas and that no car is perfect, but the 951 definately has it's share of problems. It's fairly well built overall though, but it can be a serious PITA sometimes!

Quick Reply: Fuk the wastegate sh*t.