Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Reseal - Might have it down - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds interesting as I bought the 3M sealer and just 1 of the 3M primers a few months ago but have not attempted this project yet. I'm going to wait for more testimonials before I pull the trigger.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:36 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, Kwilt - if you are going to do it, spend the $15 for which ever primer you didn't get, and use them exactly as directed, in the proper sequence. I cleaned the glass with acetone first, I imagine that it helped, but I have no way to know.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

william,
would you be willing to do another hatch if i dropped it off?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 PM
StickShift
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
for what it's worth, I resealed a hatch using the 3-M product at least 8 years ago, it's holding up perfectly. the package identifies two specific primer products to be used in sequence, I found that using both exactly as per instructions was mandatory or it would not grab and hold. Most shops will tell you not to bother with the two primers, but they are wrong, use both.

I have been through this, I had success in the past with the two stage primer from 3M, but it is no longer available, they only have the single stage primer, which doesn't work. Well, it works for about a week... After four failed attempts with the 3M product I gave up.

I bought my Sitka products from a local windshield installer.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Is there anything that could be done to a hatch that isn't separated yet but sounds like it might be starting to come undone?

I just put a new hatch onto my car that the glass is still fully in the frame but over the last few days it has made "that popping sound" like it is starting to come undone.

Could I run a thin bead of window-weld in the crack between frame/glass to hold it together...or what?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Is there anything that could be done to a hatch that isn't separated yet but sounds like it might be starting to come undone?

I just put a new hatch onto my car that the glass is still fully in the frame but over the last few days it has made "that popping sound" like it is starting to come undone.

Could I run a thin bead of window-weld in the crack between frame/glass to hold it together...or what?

Disconnecting the gas struts could keep the hatch in the current state.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

The struts are 7+ years old so I don't think they're pushing very hard anymore.
That said the noise I hear is only while driving over uneven pavement (like steep driveways/gutters at an angle) so the car is flexing...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Dandy_don
Advanced

Whatever you do, do not use the 3M urethane and their one part primer. The primer, when exposed to the sun's UV rays delaminates from the glass causing adhesion failure. I did mine with 3M and it lasted about a year. Have just redone it using Dow BetaSeal urethane and single part primer. Had difficulty getting the Sika urethane and 2 part primer otherwise would have used that. Separate the glass from the frame using a torch, get everything clean and then glue the glass to the frame with the frame mounted on the car. I also had a local welder weld an aluminum tab 4" long x1.5" wide to the frame centered on each hinge location. If I had it to do again I would have him weld a continuous tab from hinge to hinge extending 2-3" beyond each hinge. That would probably double or triple the effective bonding contact area right where it counts. To cover the tabs I just broaden the area where I paint the primer on the back side of the glass. It looks stock.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The tab sounds like an excellent solution, any chance you could post a pic?

Thanks for all the information guys, I have my extra hatch about half out of the frame, hoping to finish once the weather cooperates.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Bump, ideas for preventative maintenance for a frame just starting to separate?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Dandy_don
Advanced

Can't imagine that there is any thing you can do to stop the rest of it delaminating or leaking. As others have said do NOT use silicone to try and seal it up. Silicone residue is very difficult if not impossible to remove. When your hatch does finally separate enough to cause you to fix it then having silicon residue on either the glass or the frame or both will likely prevent a long term bond and all of your work will be wasted. If it leaks use black gorillla tape on the outside to seal it.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Anybody ever thought to use rearview mirror adhesive for this repair?
That s**t will never come off and is 100% in sunlight.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:18 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Dandy Don's comment about 3M urethane is misleading - the tubes I used recommended two specific primers in a specific order. With those two primers, the hatch I repaired has been perfect for over 5 years. If you use the wrong primers, all bets are off
Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

many people are of the opinion that separation is exacerbated by the hatch shocks basically pushing the glass backwards (not sure i buy that 100% since they are attached to the frame, not directly the glass)...but what if one were to try flipping the shocks around, so that rather than having the shocks pushing towards the rear of the car, they push forward (encouraging the top of the hatch to stay engaged to the frame)?

How is a third-gen Camaro's hatch glass held in place? Can we learn anything there?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Dandy_don
Advanced

I do not believe that 3M any longer has a two part primer available. When my hatch delaminated after using the one part primer that is available, I called 3M and they confirmed that there is only a one part primer available ( I did not know there ever was a 2 part when I talked to them) They told me that I did not clean the glass well enough and that is the reason it failed. After thinking about how it failed- began in one area at top right corner of hatch and then uniformly (over 2-3 days) separated all across the top of the hatch, and reading accounts of other 3M failures I decided that I was never going to use 3M again. The Dow Beta Seal has been on the hatch for about 4 months now, no sign of delamination but that is not a long term test in my view. If it lasts longer than a year then I would recommend the use of the Dow product. If you can find a two part 3M primer then you might want to try it. If all you can find is the one part then don't bother. If mine fails again I will use the Sika flex products.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Reseal - Might have it down - DIY