Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 944--long-distance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 06:34 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Buying a 944--long-distance?

Hey all-
I have convinced the new wife that me buying a used 1986-89 944(s)N/A is the right thing to do (yay!)--getting a former $35,000 sporty machine for less than the cost of a used Honda can't be argued with (shhh...never mind practicality). The question is, I live in NYC--moving to NJ, and most of the tasty 944 offerings are out of state. How do YOU guys wind up traveling to look at/buy a Porsche--aranging an inspection by a Porsche mechanic, etc, without making a few trips or wasting your time altogether? Flying back and forth to see a used car loses it's value pretty fast I would think! I would love to find a low-milage, minty '88 w/records and the major repairs already done--right in my town. But odds are against me. Advice??
Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Andy
Old 01-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just for kicks I did an Autotrader search for 86-91 944's within 75 miles of NY. 22 hits. You can weed out the dogs, make some calls, check some carfaxs, narrow down your choice. Visit the car, then have someone do a PPI. Done.

Welcome to Jersey! Sell the new wife on the back seats, kids love'em . . .
Old 01-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can only speak of my experience when I purchased my 951 a year-n-half ago.

Nice guy sounded honest on phone, answered every question without hesitatioin, United Airline pilot and original owner.

1. had all records from day one
2. PCA member
3. We agreed to take it to a dealer inspection, my cost, his time. ($225)
4. pictures, pictures, pictures
5. offered earnest money, 10% to hold the car until I could get there. Loose it past 45 days if no communication.
6. carfax passed with flying colors, followed him from Florida to Vegas(military pilot)
7. Go for it if it feels right. The slightest misgiving, forget about it.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:04 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take your time, it took me three months of looking thru ads in the papers and on the net.
When you find a maybe give the owner a call and ask questions and if it sounds good depending on how far away, take a drive to see it or make a deal with the owner to have a dealer inspection.
Mine was 4 hours away and it had good paperwork,so I drove down for a test drive and liked what I saw, but left with out buying. I called back 3 days later and made a lower counter offer and bingo I am a 944 Turbo owner.

Again Take your Time and Good luck
Old 01-01-2002, 07:32 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice!
My belief is finding a car from an owner would be better than getting it from a dealer who knows nothing about the history, etc. This goes against my instincts that have always said a dealer has the benefit of a warranty and offers some recourse in case of a reject/lemmon. But with a 944, I figure records and history is more important in the long run. Make sense?
Also, let's say I want to check out a car an hour away from me. How do I arrange to bring it to a Porsche mechanic? Do I see the car, like it, and then have it checked out on the next trip out? Same day somehow? I am kinda clueless, living in NYC and all!
Old 01-01-2002, 07:32 PM
Dave
Race Car

There are enough NAs in the area that you shouldn't have to fly anywhere. I thought I was going long distance when I got mine in Danbury CT. Online (as per Damian) is a good place to start, the Rennlist classified comes to mind. Par seems to have a large selection, I've never checked them out myself, but it's worth looking into. Good luck.

PS Yes, you really can fit a child seat back there.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:28 PM
eurospeed951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My fathers a capton for USAirways, so I fly for free. I flew to 4 different states befor I found the right car. I flew to Kentucky and drove it back to Va.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:56 PM
Tom
Pro

You can join PCA on a provisional basis now without owning a Porsche. I believe the Metro NY region is PCA's largest so I expect there would be a lot of cars available. That may provide contacts (in NY, NJ, CT, MA) for people to check out a car.

I live 90 miles from where I bought my first 944. I bought it from a (non-Porsche) dealer after looking at, deciding the price was reasonable, and being unable to find a good reasno not to get it. No service record/PPI. I later discovered the car had every option I would have ordered if I bought it new. I had no regrets on this but I think I was lucky. Also this was getting an 84 in early 90 so the car wasn't that old.

I live 200 miles from where I got my 944S. I found it on the net. Again no PPI, but I did know of the car from it's second owner and I knew it hasn't been driven much by owners 3 & 4. I wouldn't really recommend this approach however records and PPI are important but don't be afraid to give your instincts an informed trust. You might want to read a book like "Original Porsche 944" by Peter Morgan so you will know what you are looking at. Some of the links on this site are also useful in what to look for. Look for Excellence magazine too.

Finally the 944 is a very practical car. Very reliable when properly maintained, gets 25-30 MPG except on the track. The hatch holds a surprising volume. It's also old enough that it's not a major theft target.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:14 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arrow

Hey Damian-
Any advice on the best car insurance in New Jersey?? How much should I expect to pay on a 944??
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:37 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Andy, I pay $1464/year for my 94 968 coupe. $500 deductible. My wife's 2001 A4 Audi is $1112, same deductible. We're in a nice suburban town, both cars garaged. I've had one claim and one ticket in the last decade or so. If you're moving to Hoboken or Jersey City, and park on the street, good luck! Dave in Springfield might give you a better idea for 944 insurance, he's got a 86, right? CNA is my carrier. You can do better if you bundle all your insurance through the same agent, we have our house and some rental property done through the same firm.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arrow

Moving to a town called Madison, near Chatham. I assume it's a nice, safe insurance risk!?

With zero tickets or accidents on my record, I should be an insurance agent's dream...I hope!

CNA? Is that short for anything?
Old 01-01-2002, 09:56 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

You're fine in Madison. I don't know what the initials stand for, but my agent is MPA Insurance Agency of Parsippany, NJ. If your wife discovers the Short Hills Mall before you get the car--you might not get the car . . .
Old 01-01-2002, 10:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

Mall? My wife doesnt want to go there...I heard the Short Hills mall is a crack den! Yeah, that's the ticket! Dangerous! She has to stay home--and clean my 944!
Old 01-02-2002, 07:15 PM
Dave
Race Car

I had the insurance info all dug out last night, spent 20 minutes typing it up, cable modem went out and I couldn't post it.

Oh well, now that I think about it, State Farm is leaving NJ, and is not taking any new business, so it would have been of little help anyway. Long story short, $1200 for coverage up the wazoo, or about 50 bucks a year less than a 2001 Chrysler minivan.
If you need an agent in NJ, E-mail me, he's in Chatham, and he's too young to retire so he must have a line other than State Farm (service is good, or I wouldn't mention him).
I'd forgotten about the new PCA deal, another great source. IIRC Northern New Jersey(NNJ) is the largest region, monthly meeting are in Morristown if you are into meetings. Both NNJ and Metro NY are full of good people so you can't go wrong. We'll have you at the various events in no time, and they are fairly family oriented (I drag my wife and kid to autox, and they don't mind).
Old 01-02-2002, 07:39 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ski, when I bought my 951, after narrowing it down to 2 cars on the phone, I bought the black one instead of the red one.
they were both airline pilots, is there a pettern here?

Quick Reply: Buying a 944--long-distance?