Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early vs. late 944 parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Early vs. late 944 parts

I'm currently in the market for a N/A 944 and I am still weighing which year may be the best for me. Obviously, I like the later interior a lot better as well as the options for the phone dials etc etc.

On the other (and maybe bigger) hand, I've heard that pre-85.5 cars are cheaper to run. For example, someone mentioned that early cars have more VW parts (namely suspension, correct me if I'm wrong) so parts are cheaper. The lack of power steering means that there's less that can go awry.

I know later cars are more desirable, but as a young(ish) man, I could deal with the old interior if it means significant savings on maintenance. Can anyone shed light on which types of 944s are cheapest to maintain, generally speaking? Thanks for being such an awesome community!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its pretty close between the early and late cars, certain things, like the brake rotors are about $20 more each. The a-arms are a big gotcha on the late cars, but you do get a wider track and better mounting points for the arm and the sway bar is mounted better. The interior is vastly better on the late cars, the HVAC works better and has more control over airflow vs the early system.

The motor will cost you the same either way, expect to put some money into the car right away ($1000+) and enjoy it! are you doing your own maintance on the car? is it going to be your DD?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
Its pretty close between the early and late cars, certain things, like the brake rotors are about $20 more each. The a-arms are a big gotcha on the late cars, but you do get a wider track and better mounting points for the arm and the sway bar is mounted better. The interior is vastly better on the late cars, the HVAC works better and has more control over airflow vs the early system.

The motor will cost you the same either way, expect to put some money into the car right away ($1000+) and enjoy it! are you doing your own maintance on the car? is it going to be your DD?
I'll be doing everything DIY to the best of my ability. I'm in an apartment, but I have friends in houses for bigger things. I take the bus for 80% of my transport, so it won't be a DD, but it isn't quite a weekend car either.

I guess when I'm looking at later cars, I'll pay close attention to the a-arms. Also, does anyone have any info on the power steering system on later models? I've heard it's prone to (expensive failure), but I don't hear that enough to really pin it down as a trouble part the way DME relays are in the 944.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note, only 83 had a manual rack. 84 and 85.1 had power. As to them failing it happens. You can get a replacement rack for $300-$500 depending on where you get it.

83-86 you can mount any wheels (with spacers for some), 87+ can only use late offset.

Get what you want. All of the years are going to be equally expensive as "there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche". Really just depends on which interior you prefer. The rest you can work around or change.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It won't make that much of a difference, but the early cars are cheaper to run. It depends on what kind of owner you're going to be. If you want it for a few months and don't plan to fix it up, then get a late car. If you want to keep it for a while, and/or get knee deep in repairs and projects, then the early car will cost you less at every turn, and it will add up.

If you're worried about suspension costs, you can get an 85.5 or an 86, and retrofit the early (83-85.1) suspension. The 85.5-86 cars had the late style aluminum parts, but still had early offset, so you can fit the older, cheaper parts, direct bolt-on. BTW, I believe the only real problem with the late suspension's cost is the ball joints. When you look at late 944s, just inspect the ball joints, if they're good, you can stop worrying about (the majority of) suspension costs.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

if you are at all a taller person you would be better suited in an early car. i always find late cars to be cramped for headroom and the steering wheel is in a poor place. early cars have boatloads more room to move about and breathe. AC is better on the late cars but its pretty good on early as well. for most maintenance the cars are identical.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
if you are at all a taller person you would be better suited in an early car. i always find late cars to be cramped for headroom and the steering wheel is in a poor place. early cars have boatloads more room to move about and breathe. AC is better on the late cars but its pretty good on early as well. for most maintenance the cars are identical.
Hmm... I'm 6'2" so I need to keep that in mind! I tested an 83 and it was great. Haven't been in a late model yet.

It looks like from a maintenance perspective, I should be looking 83 models because of manual steering, and 86 models because of the suspension compatibility. Thanks for all the help!

Random question:I would eventually like to upgrade the bodywork on the car to the 951 bumpers. I've never seen this done to a 944.1, but I've seen it on plenty of late models. Is there anything that would ruin it on an early 944? I know the offset is shorter- I don't know how that would factor in to the bumpers, but I'm just curious.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

It will all bolt on to the early car, but the badge panel is welded on so you'll have to drill it off
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The only car to get is the 85.5 or 86 non-sunroof. Early suspension offset, late interior, enough headroom.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I am also 6'2" and find there to be plenty of room in my '88. I would say go for the late car / the best example you can afford. The better the example (with mor available records) the less the upkeep will cost.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

There is a difference in headroom whether you have power seats versus manual, by the way.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Just get the best car you can afford. Plenty here compromise and buy cheap then spend $$$'s trying to make it the car they should have bought. If you want the turbo front on a 944 just buy an S2 model, it's the best of all the 944na's anyway. Get a ppi done by someone who knows these cars and you will not be disappointed.

As for maintenance they are all much the same except for a few small things mentioned. I would advise on not getting the 83 just because you like manual steering. I should imagine most of the manual racks are well worn after 29 years use plus they are Nla new so that's a future problem. Plenty of rebuilt power racks available for $200-300 and well maintained should last 10+ years.

Someone mentioned "wider track" on the later cars. Not true, track is the same just the wheel offset changed. Later 87+ cars allow you to use any of the latest Porsche wheels without using spacers in most cases.

AC volume is the same in early to late but the later cars had better airflow through the car, so it does a better job of cooling (and heating).

If you are tall there isn't really an issue with headroom, I'm 6'1" and never had a problem in a 944 with a sunroof. The sunroof is a nice feature to have and the sunroof cars are stronger and stiffer. Fit a smaller diameter steering wheel or an offset adapter if you feel you don't have enough legroom.

As for the early v. Late suspension, early are steel, late are aluminum. Both are easy to rebuild these days and the later aluminum ones are stronger and lighter.

GL in you quest.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Just get the best car you can afford. Plenty here compromise and buy cheap then spend $$$'s trying to make it the car they should have bought. If you want the turbo front on a 944 just buy an S2 model, it's the best of all the 944na's anyway. Get a ppi done by someone who knows these cars and you will not be disappointed.

As for maintenance they are all much the same except for a few small things mentioned. I would advise on not getting the 83 just because you like manual steering. I should imagine most of the manual racks are well worn after 29 years use plus they are Nla new so that's a future problem. Plenty of rebuilt power racks available for $200-300 and well maintained should last 10+ years.

Someone mentioned "wider track" on the later cars. Not true, track is the same just the wheel offset changed. Later 87+ cars allow you to use any of the latest Porsche wheels without using spacers in most cases.

AC volume is the same in early to late but the later cars had better airflow through the car, so it does a better job of cooling (and heating).

If you are tall there isn't really an issue with headroom, I'm 6'1" and never had a problem in a 944 with a sunroof. The sunroof is a nice feature to have and the sunroof cars are stronger and stiffer. Fit a smaller diameter steering wheel or an offset adapter if you feel you don't have enough legroom.

As for the early v. Late suspension, early are steel, late are aluminum. Both are easy to rebuild these days and the later aluminum ones are stronger and lighter.

GL in you quest.
Thanks for the informative reply. I really want an S2, but I'm not prepared to spend that much money up front. I'm hoping to find a maintained and documented NA model for less than $5000, and upgrade it over time (mostly things like bodywork, paint, and rims).
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Get the newest one you can afford.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yep 86- late interior- early suspension- you can put the early steel a-arms on with cheap balljoints- same good rear suspension as the later cars without the early crap steel rear arms/bearings

better afm/dme and for manual steering, pull the stuff and plug the rack- works better than an actual manual rack IMHO.

Quick Reply: Early vs. late 944 parts