Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: No-name single din 7" touchscreen/GPS/dvd stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FS: No-name single din 7" touchscreen/GPS/dvd stereo

Bought this "Piranha" stereo off the internet - seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piranha-7-In...item2a1075bffd

It is a single DIN unit so it fits the 944 without modification.

It has some quirks - ie. it says it is ipod compatible, but the cable will only charge my phone - won't actually play music through the cable - you have to connect the iphone via bluetooth to play the music. Also, has a TV function - but won't hook up to any US channels as it doesn't support the US digital format without some special device.

It does have a GPS antenna - and I have the software for it, which will be included - the NAV seems pretty reliable.

Anyways - I'm thinking I want to put some gauges in the center panel so I need to move back to a stereo that doesn't block the lower hole. If anyone wants this, let me know. Thinking $150 - includes everything you need - the harness, remote, stylus (I always just used my finger), the GPS antenna, and an SD card with the software.
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm pretty sure that this is a "double DIN" unit. The single is 2" tall and the double is basically "double", i.e., 4". I looked it up since I saw a similar post here about an installation that was too cool.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Nope - that's what makes it awesome - it's the SIZE of a double din unit, but it fits into the single din slot; the faceplate attaches onto the single din unit and then hangs down. No modification necessary for the install

That's why you can see a glimpse of the storage compartment underneath the bottom of the faceplate.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've never seen a screen that flips downward, that's pretty cool.

How much extra stuff hangs off of the back of this thing, compared to a simple stereo head unit?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

As Artie Johnson (Laugh-in) would say, "Verrry Interesting".
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I've never seen a screen that flips downward, that's pretty cool.

How much extra stuff hangs off of the back of this thing, compared to a simple stereo head unit?
When you say "hangs off the back", are you talking off the back of the faceplate? Almost nothing - I'll take some more pictures with the faceplate off. The unit itself is about "normal" sized for a single din car radio - ie. it barely makes it into the center console, but does make it with JUST enough clearance.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I meant the back of the unit. I helped a friend install a JVC Kameleon into his 968, and all the extra wires, filters, etc that dangle off the back of the unit wouldn't fit in the console. Some of it had to spill out the side of the console and is hidden behind the dash.

You don't need to take a pic just for me, I'm not in the market for a dvd unit, I was simply curious.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Bump!

Nothing visibly spills out the back - although like your friend's unit, yeah there are a TON of connections coming off the back.

Quick Reply: FS: No-name single din 7" touchscreen/GPS/dvd stereo