Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blocked on FB by aftermarket fan manufacturer for asking questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashio
The first Pic is a top view. Not sure if you can really see the space saved :/
Second pic is me sticking my phone down under the distributor. The rest of the pics are from under the car. For Wiring the fans came with a blue + and Black - for both fans. On one I hooked the Red wire with black stripe to the blue, while connected the other 2 wires to the black. The other fan I hooked the green wire with a yellow stripe to the blue and the other to the black. The other wires you will figure out what color they are when you have to cut them off the original plugs. The fans came with a quick disconnect so if in the future I have to remove them I do not have to undo my wiring.

(Off topic) As for the electric water pump upgrade I did a write up on here if you would like to read it. I did the write up about a month and a half after I did the install. I wanted to make sure I got it all up and running perfectly so I could answer questions
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ater-pump.html

Thanks for being so helpful. I really think fans should be a bigger topic on these cars but it takes money to experiment and of course a volunteer lol.
Can i ask what made you decide to go with that fan? Did you look at any other ones?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Thanks for being so helpful. I really think fans should be a bigger topic on these cars but it takes money to experiment and of course a volunteer lol.
Can i ask what made you decide to go with that fan? Did you look at any other ones?
I wanted something with a shroud. I really didn't want to just zip tie or use whatever those kits come with on ebay and such that go through the radiator. I also wanted the most professional look I could get. Plus I have always been the type to say well no one has tried it, lets give it a shot. I am happy with the result. I did look at flexalite radiator fans but there were no shrouds. I like shrouds because when the fan is turned on it sucks air through the entire radiator. Sure it might "slow down" flow when on the free way... But the radiator itself slows air down enough where the shroud will not inhibit the air flow anymore (in my mind at least)

I am still curious about what you mean by they should send me a check? Did I do something right? or did they do something wrong haha. Sorry between school and work I almost have no free time. except being on these forms of course
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Also here is their warranty info from v12's website. from what I have gather since I bought these past the date of January 2007 I have a lifetime warranty until I sell my 944 (it will never happen) and as long as I don't race in the thing

It is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.v12s.com/faqtccc.html#warranty

Fan System Warranty
We warrant our electric fan system and relay products to be free from defective material or workmanship for a period of 90 days or Lifetime Warranty from 1/1/2007 for as long as you own the vehicle - (0 days for vehicles used in race events) from the date of purchase. Warranty applies only to electric fan system and relay products. Warranty is limited to repairing or replacing of electric fan(s), electric fan system or relay ONLY. There are no other expressed or implied warranties. Warranty is null & void on electric fan system and relay products installed incorrectly, damaged through abuse or modification, shipping damage, repairs, alteration or disassembling by unauthorized persons. We reserve the right to change specifications, design, price or discontinue electric fan system and relay products at any time without notice and without incurring any obligation. You, the purchaser, agree to assume all liabilities for any damage and/or bodily injury which may result from the use or misuse of our electric fan system or relay products, whether installed directly by you or your employee or agent or mechanic. Warranty is NOT transferable. All electric fan system and relay products returned for warranty must have shipping prepaid and include a valid Return Authorization number.

Warranty on all products requires the correct Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
NO VIN# - NO WARRANTY!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted something with a shroud. I really didn't want to just zip tie or use whatever those kits come with on ebay and such that go through the radiator. I also wanted the most professional look I could get. Plus I have always been the type to say well no one has tried it, lets give it a shot. I am happy with the result. I did look at flexalite radiator fans but there were no shrouds. I like shrouds because when the fan is turned on it sucks air through the entire radiator. Sure it might "slow down" flow when on the free way... But the radiator itself slows air down enough where the shroud will not inhibit the air flow anymore (in my mind at least)

I am still curious about what you mean by they should send me a check? Did I do something right? or did they do something wrong haha. Sorry between school and work I almost have no free time. except being on these forms of course
By send you a check i mean put you on the payroll and yes doing a lot right. Been reading through your electric water pump build. Very interesting.

I misread the warranty. I thought it meant NO lifetime after that date. It was 4 am.....

Wonder how your car would run and dyno with Rogues N-Tune with your other custom mods.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

That's for experimenting and sharing this. The original fans are so heavy and bulky. Good solution, great work!

One question: Did they bolt up to the original shroud mounting holes without any modding?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

^^^ That's = Thanks, stupid iPhone predictive text.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAGK944
That's for experimenting and sharing this. The original fans are so heavy and bulky. Good solution, great work!

One question: Did they bolt up to the original shroud mounting holes without any modding?
Yes they have 6 tabs that line up with the holes for the shroud. I quiet literally lifted it up and screwed it in.

I will note when I first got it and had it sitting side by side it looked like the same depth. However about half an inch sinks in. What I mean encloses in the radiator to get a nice seal. I think it is for all the air to be pulled from the radiator instead of having some air be pulled from the sides.

Edit: I dunno why I said tabs.... the radiator has tabs. The fans are mounted to the shroud which have the holes lined up for the tabs.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
By send you a check i mean put you on the payroll and yes doing a lot right. Been reading through your electric water pump build. Very interesting.

I misread the warranty. I thought it meant NO lifetime after that date. It was 4 am.....

Wonder how your car would run and dyno with Rogues N-Tune with your other custom mods.
Thanks haha. I just do this stuff to tinker. I enjoy experimenting. I dunno how it would do on a dyno I would hope to hit the 150 whp mark. At least, but I can say when I first got my 944 it only got 19-20 mpg and now I get 28-30 mpg
Old 09-19-2012, 04:59 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

interesting. what is the weight difference between these and a stock 2 fan setup?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
interesting. what is the weight difference between these and a stock 2 fan setup?
I didn't have a scale to take weight of the fans at the time. However to get a number if someone wants to weigh their 3 blade fan set up, I will weigh my v12's this weekend and we can do the math.

Holding the stock and v12 fans in each hand, it felt like half the weight. But I doubt that is a good way to measure weight haha.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

FYI single 6 blade fan & motor is 4 lbs. About 10 lbs total for shroud and both fans.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Nashio
Instructor

alright looks like this weekend I am going to take off my fans and weigh them.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 AM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks haha. I just do this stuff to tinker. I enjoy experimenting. I dunno how it would do on a dyno I would hope to hit the 150 whp mark. At least, but I can say when I first got my 944 it only got 19-20 mpg and now I get 28-30 mpg
what else did you do? that's a massive jump in mpg, and I doubt the fans did it.....
Old 09-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by szabon
what else did you do? that's a massive jump in mpg, and I doubt the fans did it.....
I changed my ignition system to a nology coil, nology hotwires and halo plugs. That got me to 24-25 mpg. I then removed the A/C and Powersteering. And then changed the mechanical water pump to an electrical one so there is a lot less drag on the crank.

Quick Reply: Blocked on FB by aftermarket fan manufacturer for asking questions..