Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance Shafts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Balance Shafts

I hate these things, they are annoying to time and I can't seem to stop the belt noise from them.

How bad is it if you install a LR balance shaft delete?

How easy are these things to fit, is the job just done from the front of the block?

I'm tempted to get rid of them when I have to re-tension the TB in 1000 miles!!

thanks

Kim
Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

when you set the tension correctly you barely hear them at all.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got very little noise from my balance shafts. Tensioned using the Arnwerx tool.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ete-views.html for some feedback on Balance shafts. There's a ton of threads asking feedback on balance shaft deletes, just use the search tool
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the LR delete kit. I have been running my car without balance shafts since June. I didn't notice vibration issues like some have stated. But then again I also converted my water pump to an electrical one and removed the mechanical pulley. The process of removing the balance shafts is easy and a pain. The top one on the drivers side you remove the fuel rail and injectors along with the intake manifold and it is easy to get to. The bottom passenger side you have to remove the motor mount to get room to get the cover off. You can get all the bolts loose but there isn't any room to remove the cover of the balance shaft. Believe me I tried for a good 2 hours till I finally decided to remove the motor mount.

If you do go that route get the locite to seal up the ends. Again concerning the vibrations, mine may not have been as bad because of the water pump. But I still instead to reinforce my oil pick up and fuel rail/lines. Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Racerstev
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the shafts just be left in place with no belt? I used to build and race some
fairly high hp Chrysler 2.4's (500-600hp), some of the guys removed the shafts some left then in and just removed the chain. No ill effects in either case.

The way Porsche designed these seems a bit complex and problematic.

Steve
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Nashio
Instructor

From what I have gathered from others if you just remove the belt, the shafts will eventually start to leak oil. I guess it creates the seal while its spinning. But you could probably get away with just smearing a sealant over it. Although it won't be pretty and I do not know if it would work or not.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Racerstev
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nashio
I used the LR delete kit. I have been running my car without balance shafts since June. I didn't notice vibration issues like some have stated. But then again I also converted my water pump to an electrical one and removed the mechanical pulley. The process of removing the balance shafts is easy and a pain. The top one on the drivers side you remove the fuel rail and injectors along with the intake manifold and it is easy to get to. The bottom passenger side you have to remove the motor mount to get room to get the cover off. You can get all the bolts loose but there isn't any room to remove the cover of the balance shaft. Believe me I tried for a good 2 hours till I finally decided to remove the motor mount.

If you do go that route get the locite to seal up the ends. Again concerning the vibrations, mine may not have been as bad because of the water pump. But I still instead to reinforce my oil pick up and fuel rail/lines. Hope this helps.
We found an extra 10-15hp when we cut the chain and the engine would rev
much faster then with it in place. Did you notice a differance on your car?

Steve
Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 AM
944meister
Pro

The waterpump is not the source of the emitted frequency that the balance shafts were designed to cancel out.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944meister
The waterpump is not the source of the emitted frequency that the balance shafts were designed to cancel out.
Yes, but it still has a frequency. So it could make the vibrations less impacting upon removing the rotating mechanical water pump. Anything that spins is going to put off a frequency, so are major and some minor.

Originally Posted by Racerstev
We found an extra 10-15hp when we cut the chain and the engine would rev
much faster then with it in place. Did you notice a differance on your car?
I removed the balance shafts with my water pump conversion at the same time. I can say that I did immediately notice some extra low end grunt. When I first was driving around and monitoring everything before doing WOT runs. On the WOT runs I noticed a huge gain in feel. Although Electric water pumps are supposed to free up lost horsepower exponentially the higher your engine revs. So down low the extra grunt I could relate that to the balance shafts, as for top end I am leaning more towards the water pump.

I didn't dyno the car but I certainly noticed a difference.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 AM
944meister
Pro

Originally Posted by Nashio
Yes, but it still has a frequency. So it could make the vibrations less impacting upon removing the rotating mechanical water pump. Anything that spins is going to put off a frequency, so are major and some minor.
true, however four cyinders firing a recipricating mass of about 65lbs (not accounting for flywheel, pulleys, ect.) will have a higher energy potential than a waterpump pulley that maybe weighs 4lbs and simply spins on its axis. not trying to get into a pissing match, just putting things into perspective.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944meister
true, however four cyinders firing a recipricating mass of about 65lbs (not accounting for flywheel, pulleys, ect.) will have a higher energy potential than a waterpump pulley that maybe weighs 4lbs and simply spins on its axis. not trying to get into a pissing match, just putting things into perspective.
This is very true. And we are just having a discussion is all I should probably also add that I have removed my A/C, Power Steering (pulley off the crank as well), and put an underdrive on my Alternator and Crank pulley for the Alternator. So again results may vary? I will say I am not ignoring the threat of their being issues with my car because of the balance shaft delete and the "potential" for bad vibrations. They probably are there and I just can't feel them. I just know I want to change my oil pick up asap before anything can go wrong.

The water pump pulley weighed like 2 pounds if at all haha. But it makes me think too of the pressure build up from heat and the resistance of water flow. Although I do not think that would cause frequency as much as drag. (Just thinking out loud)
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
944meister
Pro

Old 09-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car still has a little vibration at around 3000 rpm, I thought the balance belt timing might be off but i've checked it over and over again and its right, I didn't consider that you could just remove the belt.

It would seem that would be a great way of deciding for yourself before you go ahead with the whole job, I can just remove the belt when I do my re-tension and see how I like it then if I don't I just refit the belt, right?!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I have a new LR kit if anyone is interested, came with a engine project, brand new too.

Quick Reply: Balance Shafts