Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Outlaw" 944s....where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 PM
ditch68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't take it that way at all, Cole. I just misunderstood the description of your friend's setup, now I get it clearly, a plate continuing the curve of the dash under with no front mount anything.

I need (want) a switch/gauge panel there, so 2 different concepts.

I sure like how my car is getting more simplified and "primal" as I go along. But more complicated in specific areas to the end of addressing very specific performance issues or improvements. It just feels right.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

So I've been thinking about this thread lately... and "what's next" for my 951. Mechanically, I am done. Happy with the turbo setup, etc. Now it's time to have some fun with appearance.

While I think a 3.0L N/A would be more "in the spirit", I have a 951, not an S2, so I'll have to "make do" with what I have.

This might almost be more along the lines of a 997 GT3 RS vs. old school Carrera RS.... but I was thinking of the following....
- 928 Leather Shop suede/alcantara red stitched dash cover (goes with my red belts)
- Redo the door panels in suede/alcantara with red "RS" style straps instead of the existing armrest/doorhandles
- Suede/alcantara shift ****
- Ditch most of the center console, have a friend make up something for the radio "stack" (sorry gotta have a radio, I commute 2+ hours each way on days when I drive the P-car to work) but otherwise the tunnel will just be carpet
- Fire extinguisher like ditch58 did
- Already deleted the rear seat and lined the area with carpet
Old 05-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this form. I have an '88 n/a. Love it.

This discussion in very enticing. It represents what I am inspired to do after watching Magnus Walker's videos. Some weight reduction, some style... minimalist.

To sum up: "This car is made for driving" I think we can all agree on that.

So, the question might be "what enhances the driving experience?"

FEEL.

How the car FEELS is what enhances the experience.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Default TOOLS

Forgive me if I'm wrong.

But what self respecting OUTLAW doesn't add to self reliance with a good tool box.

What's the concept of an Outlaw's toolbox? Size, shape, positioning in the car, contents...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Lowering the car for the track for sure.

Personally, I'm not sold on a lowered STREET car being of the Outlaw essence.

Aren't 944s low enough. Considering an Outlaw may be hitting speed bumps & potholes or curbs... sometimes at speed, perhaps stock suspension is the best, no?

Just one person's thought.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Forgive me if I'm wrong.

But what self respecting OUTLAW doesn't add to self reliance with a good tool box.

What's the concept of an Outlaw's toolbox? Size, shape, positioning in the car, contents...
That would be the rear cubby that has your extra oil and such, you could also store a "roll" of tools in the spare tire area. I don't run with a huge stash of tools anymore, but I always carry oil, a liter of mixed coolant (pentofrost ++) and a rag.

Tool roll contents? 8,10,12,13,15,17,19mm wrenches and sockets, 3/8 drive with an extension and breaker bar. #2 Phillips, slotted screwdriver (for pry and use). Duct tape, safety wire, Needle nose pliers/cutters. That will cover most situations you come up against. I would only carry these on a trip.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Lowering the car for the track for sure.

Personally, I'm not sold on a lowered STREET car being of the Outlaw essence.

Aren't 944s low enough. Considering an Outlaw may be hitting speed bumps & potholes or curbs... sometimes at speed, perhaps stock suspension is the best, no?

Just one person's thought.
I do like having the full travel of the suspension here in the rockies since my car is a DD, but I could see lowering the car an inch or 2 for the "look" if it wasn't my DD.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This "riced out 944" thread is an interesting one that I thought should be tied to this one. Since I see this car differently

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ve-seen-2.html

The car in question is a early (light) 944 that has a 968 swap, light weight body parts, big FACTORY wing, been completely stripped down and repainted with a modern factory color(Nordic Gold), big brake swap(compared to stock), with many little touches like color mating items and leather trimmed race seats. Many of the touches are what you find on other Porsches from the factory (color matched wings like everything 1989 and newer for example)

All the heavy front end parts (bumper, hood, etc) were replaced with stuff that is lighter and probably cools better for the bigger Porsche motor swap.

Thoughts?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone ever pulled the carpet up, removed the sound deadening, then laid the carpet back down?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Reimu
Anyone ever pulled the carpet up, removed the sound deadening, then laid the carpet back down?
Yes.

That is actually the way my car is.

-no sound deadening
-no 3rd brake light.
-no rear wiper

etc, etc, etc just want to go further but in a very nice, not "race only" type of way.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in the process of doing just that!

I'm not putting the factory carpet back down anymore though, although I did put it down after removing the sound deadening once. It fit fine except where it drapes over the tunnel. Without the padding under there the carpet is a bit loose fitting. Once the console and everything is bolted down though it's hard to notice.

I'm going to make my own set now from some light weight carpet. I just deleted the center console so the factory carpet will no longer work.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Winter44
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a really interesting thread! read the first page and last so if I'm repeating my apologies.

My friend recently asked me if they ever made an RS version of the 944. I wanted to say they did with the Turbo S but wasn't certain. There's some elements in the RS cars that would fit in an 'outlaw' car like the pull handle door cards, no sound deadening, minimal if any sound system, manual windows etc.

Not sure if my car would qualify, but going down a similar path to these cars. Not full track, but not full road either. Basically I'm working toward a track day car with some DD amenities and drive-ability.

First off it is a 1983 early car with manual steering, sunroof and factory LSD. Suspension and brakes are off of an 86' turbo and fitted with 17" Cup II's. Looking to do lexan rear Hatch. Also has turbo rear valence and front bumper pushed in. 924 turbo hood with inlet. For the motor I sourced a disassembled long block of a Callaway Turbo setup. Plan to drop that in for the power. For the interior its all black with carpet throughout, door pulls if I can setup or find the right door cards and the few amentities will be power locks, windows and ipod hookup. Debating A/C.

Essentially I wan't the mechanical function of the car to be as raw and original as possible, while having a few modern DD luxuries. Outlaw? I don't know prob not.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 PM
ditch68
Racer

Well, a lot has changed on my car since I saw this thread bouncing around. I'm not sure if I ended up going in the "outlaw" direction Cole originally posed, but more "track" to be sure.

Now, I have my bodywork additions almost done, and went ahead and did the vinyl graphics (Van Svenson as always, such great work).

Added the wing which is functional and substantially braced, and I plan on adding spherical rod end struts from the mounts to the bumper to be extra strong and more adjustable.

Older mods were (and still are) APE stage 2 chipset, 14psi boost, Konis all around, billet spring hats, aggressive front and rear camber, 4" exhaust, Kokeln front end, Weltmeister sway bars, Hawk track pads and ATE Blue fluid, Corbeau Forza seats, Crow harnesses, Autopower (I think) 4 point bar, all carpet removed, and Olefin carpet just in the front half. Center console delete, replaced with aluminum panel for boost gauge, aircraft clock, and switches. Momo wheel, and pedal rubbers removed and covered with 3M griptape (excellent mod, you should try it.) Probably some other stuff I forgot about. Oh, and a short shifter and billet Lindsey Racing transaxle mount.

It is a theme tribute to the 1988 Joest Racing 962C.

Jeff

Name:  20130812_1908391376359849_zpsc2ba3710.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  92.6 KB
Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 PM
1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Racer

Requirement for any outlaw 944 imo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251318595091...S:1123&vxp=mtr
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1987Porsche944WithRealLongName

Or just deleting the headlights altogether and upgrading the fogs to work as driving lights .

That should create all sorts of room and weight loss!

Quick Reply: "Outlaw" 944s....where are they?