Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You'd be surprised what an 8v 944 can do.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 AM
alan t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You'd be surprised what an 8v 944 can do.

So I finally got my '85 out to the Shenandoah track at Summit Point in WV. I think it's a wonderful track for underpowered cars since it has I think 22 turns in just over two miles.
I do have suspension upgrades, removed most of the interior, have a rollbar, light seats, harnesses, cat delete, and fiberglass bumpers. With the countless hours I put into constantly fixing the car I was starting to wonder why I was putting all this effort into such a low powered, slow, high-maintenance car. It just didn't make any sense when I could simply but a more modern car that would probably ride a lot smoother, have more power, be more reliable, and a huge aftermarket parts bin. Not to mention NO torsion bars!
Well I have to say once everything in the car is sorted out, it's WELL worth all of the work! Yes I was in the novice group, but the car held up just fine with all of the bigger HP modern cars. Now I'm not bragging because I'm a novice with other novice drivers, but I was passing WRXs, new V8 camaros, Caymans, Boxsters, 3series BMWs, and the car handled great! A few times a driver would give me the point by on a straight, and had to actually slow down for me since I didn't have the power to zoom by. My point is the 944 can be a blast to drive along side modern cars if you're looking to have some fun and don't mind pushing the car. So the next time you're cursing at a leaky sunroof or a mysterious vacuum leak, get it fixed and get it out to a track! You probably won't curse at it so much the next time it breaks.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
ditch68
Racer

Cool post! I love to hear inspirational stories like that, your enthusiasm rubs off on others. Sounds like your driving skill is a little better than your modest description!

I actually had written a really sappy post praising 944s the other night after working on it, but I changed my mind before hitting the "submit" button because it felt so corny!

I have been wrenching on this car nonstop since I brought it home, but every time I drive it I am reminded why I am willing to do all the work.

Jeff
Old 06-24-2012, 12:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

there aren't many other "entry-level" cars that can take sudden corners at 50mph, sweepers at 100 and cruise at 130 easily like a 944 can.

they certainly got it right when sketching on a napkin at the stroganoff bar.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cruise at 130
A movie scene popped into my mind reading this ; you know the footage of astronauts during launch ,strapped in for dear life,everything shaking and the ear bleeding sound from the rocket engines......here's an idea kids ,if you want to become astronauts train in a 944 n/a at 130mph.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Ha, good thread.

I'm going to wait another year or two as more stuff fails to replace so I'm closer to a balance in my favor of more newer parts on the car than old, then I do plan to take my Stig helmet out to a PCA track day! Haven't been many failures really, just saying that, but my heater control valve blowout last week was a reminder. There are a couple road courses nearby that I think my 951 would excel on.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

great post !

Those who have not done track time with their 944's really need to !

Regardless of the model you'll have a whole new respect for your car!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catamax944
A movie scene popped into my mind reading this ; you know the footage of astronauts during launch ,strapped in for dear life,everything shaking and the ear bleeding sound from the rocket engines......here's an idea kids ,if you want to become astronauts train in a 944 n/a at 130mph.
I'd check your car for issues if that is the case, funny image or not. Or maybe the road isn't great...

Not even a shudder or wiggle at that speed, only noise is wind because of my needing-replacement sunroof seal and the exhaust...
Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea, the 944 is still a modern car and the 924 follows, if maintained right they are just as good as new cars for most purposes.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I'd check your car for issues if that is the case, funny image or not. Or maybe the road isn't great...

Not even a shudder or wiggle at that speed, only noise is wind because of my needing-replacement sunroof seal and the exhaust...
My point is that 130mph is not exactly cruising speed for a 944 . I don't know about you but i don't feel very relaxed hearing the engine scream at 6000 rpm for a prolonged period of time. Yes it can easily get to 130 but that's it , it doesn't cruise at 130 ,for that i would take a sports sedan.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a bit OT but its still about what the 944/924 can do:

130 is too much for cruising, not all gearboxes take the engine to 6000 rpm for 130mph, but 130 is too much as in speed.

With the old 944 NA gearbox 130 was 5500 for me with 17" wheels, but even on the autobahn in germany, there simply wasnt room for that speed as there is always someone overtaking at 90-100 and you simply cant "cruise" at 130 even if the car can keep that speed easly.

With the new 944S2 longer gearbox, 130 is lower on the RPM range but, you cant cruise..cruising is sitting back, relaxed...you're not relaxed in ANY car at 130 on a public road even with only few cars around...like i said...you never know when somebody decides to overtake. I had this smart car(yes the little one) jump in front of me trying to overtake a truck. i was doing 130+ the smart was doing 55...
So another good thing the 924/944 can do is stop from high speeds quite well.

The fastest "cruise" i've ever done with my 924 turbo was 100 mph. i was in a hurry and i drove it at 100mph for ~220miles, which is above the limit by 13mph..that was ok...but not a relaxing cruise.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree 100%. About the most fun you can have on the track for the lowest entry cost!

Sure it's 50 or 60 MPH slower on the straights than a GT3 cup car... but they're the same speed through the turns! And, I don't think the guy in the GT3 is having 10x the amount of fun, even though he's got 10x the investment.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morghen
a bit OT but its still about what the 944/924 can do:

130 is too much for cruising, not all gearboxes take the engine to 6000 rpm for 130mph, but 130 is too much as in speed.

With the old 944 NA gearbox 130 was 5500 for me with 17" wheels, but even on the autobahn in germany, there simply wasnt room for that speed as there is always someone overtaking at 90-100 and you simply cant "cruise" at 130 even if the car can keep that speed easly.

With the new 944S2 longer gearbox, 130 is lower on the RPM range but, you cant cruise..cruising is sitting back, relaxed...you're not relaxed in ANY car at 130 on a public road even with only few cars around...like i said...you never know when somebody decides to overtake. I had this smart car(yes the little one) jump in front of me trying to overtake a truck. i was doing 130+ the smart was doing 55...
So another good thing the 924/944 can do is stop from high speeds quite well.

The fastest "cruise" i've ever done with my 924 turbo was 100 mph. i was in a hurry and i drove it at 100mph for ~220miles, which is above the limit by 13mph..that was ok...but not a relaxing cruise.
try driving the I-15 at 3am 3 times a week
Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alan t
So I finally got my '85 out to the Shenandoah track at Summit Point in WV. I think it's a wonderful track for underpowered cars since it has I think 22 turns in just over two miles.
I do have suspension upgrades, removed most of the interior, have a rollbar, light seats, harnesses, cat delete, and fiberglass bumpers. With the countless hours I put into constantly fixing the car I was starting to wonder why I was putting all this effort into such a low powered, slow, high-maintenance car. It just didn't make any sense when I could simply but a more modern car that would probably ride a lot smoother, have more power, be more reliable, and a huge aftermarket parts bin. Not to mention NO torsion bars!
Well I have to say once everything in the car is sorted out, it's WELL worth all of the work! Yes I was in the novice group, but the car held up just fine with all of the bigger HP modern cars. Now I'm not bragging because I'm a novice with other novice drivers, but I was passing WRXs, new V8 camaros, Caymans, Boxsters, 3series BMWs, and the car handled great! A few times a driver would give me the point by on a straight, and had to actually slow down for me since I didn't have the power to zoom by. My point is the 944 can be a blast to drive along side modern cars if you're looking to have some fun and don't mind pushing the car. So the next time you're cursing at a leaky sunroof or a mysterious vacuum leak, get it fixed and get it out to a track! You probably won't curse at it so much the next time it breaks.
I absolutely agree. Summit Point Motorsport Park is my home track and I have driven my '86 NA on Shenandoah multiple times. Even in the intermediate group I was able to lap a 996 4S! This track requires serious driver's skills but in the right hands the 944s and Miatas usually outperform most high HP cars

I am glad you had fun!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Pre 85.5 cars with older dashbord are very loud at high speeds, since the transmision is mounted differently and wind noise is generated by strange front glass frame.

Post 85.5 cars are very quiet at high speeds and my NA felt best at 180kmh, once I even got stopped by police that was following me in provida (radar) car, my average speed was 223kmh, it never felt too loud or too harsh.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

My 944 will be at VIR this weekend with over 100 BMWs for the BMW school event. I'm looking forward to slaying at least a few Bimmers

Quick Reply: You'd be surprised what an 8v 944 can do.