Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Price Trend

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 AM
hockeyhead019
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Price Trend

Just curious if you guys have noticed anything in terms of the prices of these cars in the past couple year (lets say 5-10yr)

Just wondering if prices will get better or worse from a buyers perspective since I'm still lurking looking for a 944 lol

Cheers
Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "spring time" flood of sports cars typically sees higher prices, as there is a whole driving season ahead, and as winter approaches the prices drop, as people who want to sell, may not want to store it for another year. That is the only ebb and flow of the tides I see occuring right now. I have been watching the local 944 classifieds (kijiji) almost every day for the last few years.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Jrboulder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is like buying a Lear 24 for 70k, paying 4k an hour to operate it, but then getting worried that it's depreciating at 2% a year.

That being said, the price of the 944 series is driven down by high maintenance costs, a large supply, and the idiots who say stupid things about water-cooled porsches.

Sooner or later those conditions will change. A lot of cars get parted out or parked indefinitely each year. That reduces the supply. The idiots are all about 5-15 years away from kicking the bucket so that may help prices. Once prices are on the rise the maintenance costs won't be so ridiculous proportionally.

Jackson
Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
hockeyhead019
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jrboulder
This is like buying a Lear 24 for 70k, paying 4k an hour to operate it, but then getting worried that it's depreciating at 2% a year.

Jackson
Not really how my concern since I'm looking to buy and I know what goes into them and I'm not really looking for a return on selling the car (if I ever did haha) but I understand your point.

Thanks for the input guys, I have noticed the flood of cars for the spring time driving season and have seen a couple raise their price but other than that I haven't noticed much either, but I've only been looking for a year now so I wanted to see if there was a larger scale trend or not.

Again thanks for the input!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default not looking too good.....

prices are leveling off between $1,200 and $2,000 for vehicles requiring a bit of care (holdouts on Craigslist trying to get $2,500 for their cars will be waiting. and waiting).... but, well kept cars may fetch a few hundred dollars more... the future ? prices will be soft for the forseeable future. for now, the 944 has yet to materialize in the eyes of the car public as a true '80s collectable. i'm incredulous as to why, as i believe the unsuspecting, would-be, buying public isn't fully aware of the time, money and effort that would be required to bring the cars back -- if the interest was there in the first place... overall, the numbers of people at one time or another, loyal to the brand continues to dwindle, with former owners have moved on to newer P-car models or left the former, entry-level 944/968 cars behind probably, for good.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
hockeyhead019
Instructor

odu any reason you see behind the migration away from the 944's? Just a lack of interest/appeal or is it because of the $$ needed to maintain them?

Just in your opinion
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

^ there'd be many reasons at this point, a decent modern car will make a 944's handling look average. the maintenance cost on a 944 isn't worth it. 1500 for a clutch on a car that's worth 3k. another few hundred for a tune up(if you do it yourself)

there is no lack of interest, when i had mine, there were people daily asking about it. my cousin just asked me about em because he's interested. then i told him about upkeep costs, and he thought a camaro would be better for him.

what it does offer that most poeple don't know, it's practicle. the turbo can easily make over 300hp, which in a 3000lb car is gonna be quick. many things out there to update thet suspension, wheels, body, lighting, and other items. it's a lot better than owning my current stealth, where parts are getting fewer and fewer, sad really.

i've noticed groups for 944 pricing, turbo's stay around 9k for good one's with some milage on em, lower milage one's are 15-20k, i've seen up to 25k on a fuly restored 951. the base i've seen sit at 5-6k for one in great condition, whereas a ****ty one would be 2-2500. prices are starting to go up because the people who wanted them as young drivers in the 80's can now afford the sports car, and are willing to pay for it.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i don't exactly know, because, as i've stated dozens of times, the 944 Turbo is right behind the 959 and F-40 as easily the best cars of the '80s with everything else (including the Countach, 512s, 308/328s, with the exception of the Lotus Esprit Turbo 4) falling well behind the 944 in terms of performance and tuning (being able to impart significant improvements without breaking the bank)...

to follow up on my last post, i'm incredulous at the lack of interest in the 944 why ? because the lack of numbers of people that don't even seem to consider buying the cars. nevermind that they soon discover that they require considerable care, time and $$$. and let's face it, the average Joe out there isn't going to be doing timing belts, rollers, cylinder head internals and H20 pumps just by reading Rennlist and Clark's Garage postings... people peeking into the 944s never even seem to get that far !! but let's consider for the moment that they did.... maybe they are thinking along some of the following lines;

just a few possible reasons;

that people think the only important 80s collectables are the F-40 and 959, now priced well out of reach ?

the result ? they skip the '80s decade altogether !!

that the cars (in the eyes of many people) are now looking quite dated ?

the controversial timing systems/and general committment involved with keeping the cars fresh ?

underpower in the n/a cars, and the huge costs involved with improving power output ?

Originally Posted by 87 944 C

there'd be many reasons at this point, a decent modern car will make a 944's handling look average. the maintenance cost on a 944 isn't worth it. 1500 for a clutch on a car that's worth 3k. another few hundred for a tune up(if you do it yourself)

there is no lack of interest, when i had mine, there were people daily asking about it. my cousin just asked me about em because he's interested. then i told him about upkeep costs, and he thought a camaro would be better for him.

what it does offer that most poeple don't know, it's practicle. the turbo can easily make over 300hp, which in a 3000lb car is gonna be quick. many things out there to update thet suspension, wheels, body, lighting, and other items. it's a lot better than owning my current stealth, where parts are getting fewer and fewer, sad really.

i've noticed groups for 944 pricing, turbo's stay around 9k for good one's with some milage on em, lower milage one's are 15-20k, i've seen up to 25k on a fuly restored 951. the base i've seen sit at 5-6k for one in great condition, whereas a ****ty one would be 2-2500. prices are starting to go up because the people who wanted them as young drivers in the 80's can now afford the sports car, and are willing to pay for it.

just now seeing what you wrote (as i began writing before you posted)

utterly fantastic post !! spot on on all counts !!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

i have a dream of having a 944 farm where all the sad ones go to die or be resurrected...similar to joshB's operation, giving their lives that others may live...

i hope the price hike happens right after i start this dream...
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by Jrboulder

That being said, the price of the 944 series is driven down by high maintenance costs, a large supply, and the idiots who say stupid things about water-cooled porsches.

Sooner or later those conditions will change. A lot of cars get parted out or parked indefinitely each year. That reduces the supply. The idiots are all about 5-15 years away from kicking the bucket so that may help prices. Once prices are on the rise the maintenance costs won't be so ridiculous proportionally.

Jackson
That's about right! I was fortunate to get a great deal on mine ($7250 incl. a new pump, TB, belts and hoses days before delivery) and it's in fantastic DD shape. I wouldn't consider any offers under $10k now after a few other things I've replaced and cleaned up.

Similar conversations abound in the 996 crowd as well.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting that there are two concurrent threads related to 944 values. Here is a scan of a fairly recent article on 944 value trends I read in my Hagerty magazine.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Hagerty article 944.pdf (580.3 KB, 238 views)
Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Gooding Auction of 944s

For another data point, here is a link showing the results of recent 944 sales (and other Porsches) from the Drendel collection: http://www.sportscardigest.com/goodi...tion-report/2/
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
hockeyhead019
Instructor

Cool articles!

@sentinelist I assume you mean that the 996 group is wondering why the cars are going for cheap or what? (cheap being a highly relative term haha)
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

These cars won't be valuable for another 15 years. By then, gas will be so rare and costly that it will be too expensive to run them. So they will become worthless again.

So the moral of the story is go out and enjoy them while you can!

Last edited by StoogeMoe; 04-19-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
odu any reason you see behind the migration away from the 944's? Just a lack of interest/appeal or is it because of the $$ needed to maintain them?

Just in your opinion
Attend a 944 fest...

J/K travis!

Quick Reply: 944 Price Trend