Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track time with 944S2

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012 | 02:11 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Default First track time with 944S2

I took the S2 out to the track for the first time this past weekend for a Driver’s Education event at VIR. As expected, it was a pretty humbling experience. (And here I was thinking maybe I was humble enough already…) I went from running some of the faster times in the Blue group (in my Cayman S) to I’m pretty certain being the slowest.

Running with 4 GT3's, a GT3-RS, and a whole bunch of Caymans gave me plenty of practice on my point-bys! Being down nearly 100-hp to almost every other car in my run group – I could hang with a kid in a (new to him) Spec Miata and a mid-80’s 911 – was an interesting experience. It is clear the 22 year old suspension is a bit tired, as can be seen in pics showing the car practically dragging the door sill on the track in turns. At the very least I’m thinking I need some new springs, though coilovers would certainly make things even better… Going around the turns faster is going to be my only hope!

I will say, beyond lack of driving skill, the biggest issue I faced in handling of the S2 vs. the Cayman is how long it takes the S2 to "settle" during transitions, say during quick left-right turn combinations. This cost me big-time once in that I had to wait too long for the car to settle from a left turn, which meant I missed the apex of the next quick right and off track I went. No harm to the car, and my ham-fisted driving was much to blame as well, but I am not used to a car leaning so much.

Still, my speed got more respectable as the weekend went on, the brakes are more than up to the job, and the car ran the entire weekend without the slightest hiccup. I've very pleased with that!

And, of course, the whole point of picking up the 944 is to learn how to really drive on track (without electronic aids like stability control, etc.) and to have a vehicle I don’t have to worry about as much if I punt it into a wall. I’m in no way the most talented guy out there, so I figure learning from the ground up is the way to go. In that respect, the weekend was a sucess!

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 03-21-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 03-21-2012 | 03:19 PM
hardtail15
Racer

what size sway bars are you running? bigger sways should help with the weight transitions too.
Old 03-21-2012 | 04:22 PM
svtlrtls
Advanced

Default Soft suspension

Yeah, I hear you on the soft suspension.
Here are my shots of my first track day.
I am now considering a coilover kit.
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2012 | 04:34 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

My 944S2 has coil overs front & rear (using the stock rear torsion bars), and adjustable Weltmeister sway bars front & rear. Made a dramatic improvement in the handling. Still slow by modern comparison on the long straights, but much more fun chasing faster cars through the twisties.

Another thing I did, after getting a 2nd set of Design 90 rims, was to use 4 16 x 8 rims with 245/50 RA1's for the track. The 4 16 x 7 rims are used for my street/rain tires. The car understeers much less with the wider front wheels/tires.

Last edited by aj986s; 03-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2012 | 04:51 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hardtail15
what size sway bars are you running? bigger sways should help with the weight transitions too.
Good point - larger sway bars would certainly help too.

The car currently has the stock 26.8 mm front and 16 mm rear sways.
Old 03-21-2012 | 05:15 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Now that you've had it out on track, have a look at your front sway bar end links and make sure they're still holding fast. I've broken two, but they're very easy to replace.

On my previous car, I found that 968 M030 sway bars (front and rear), new rubber sway bar bushings and fresh Koni yellow shocks did a great job of controlling the ride with relatively stock spring rates and street tires. More importantly, they won't break the bank.

How did your brakes hold up?

Edit: I missed that you said your brakes were fine.
Old 03-21-2012 | 06:28 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
On my previous car, I found that 968 M030 sway bars (front and rear), new rubber sway bar bushings and fresh Koni yellow shocks did a great job of controlling the ride with relatively stock spring rates and street tires. More importantly, they won't break the bank.
I like the sound of this approach, especially the not breaking the bank part.

When you say relatively stock spring rates, did you change the front springs and maybe the torsion bars?

Thanks, I'll look into this! (And check the rear mounts too.)
Old 03-21-2012 | 07:28 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
When you say relatively stock spring rates, did you change the front springs and maybe the torsion bars?
I was referring to 200lb - 240lb springs, which I think are a good candidate to work well with the stock rear torsion bars. Any more than that without changing the torsion bars and, in my opinion, you'll run into a bit of an imbalance front to rear.
Old 03-28-2012 | 10:38 PM
frankle951
Racer

Hey good luck, on my 1991 944S2 cab, it cost me a clutch, the stock clutch disc has a rubber center disc, very soft, Im in the process of replacing the clutch right now as we talk, going back with a spring center clutch disc, hope it give me more track time.
Old 03-28-2012 | 10:43 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you really have scissor doors?
Old 04-02-2012 | 06:04 PM
L8_apex
Rennlist Member

Although they are great track cars for the buck - I've only seen two others at track days here in AZ over my 5 years of doing this.

+1 on the suspension upgrades mentioned here (Konis, higher spring rates, anti-sway upgrade, torsion bar upgrade, etc.) I'm part way through these changes, and they result in a noticable difference in the ability to "toss" the S2 through turns. Upgrade tires as well - I've been pretty happy with 16" 225 Dunlop Direzza Z1s all around (anything would have been an improvement!), but there are plenty of good choices.

You'll just need to get used to the point-bys. I too like the S2 giving a "pure" driving experience for reasonable $$. I just say to the late-model 911 crowd: "Traction control? Oh, you mean my right foot?" LOL
Old 04-03-2012 | 09:33 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by L8_apex
Although they are great track cars for the buck - I've only seen two others at track days here in AZ over my 5 years of doing this.

You'll just need to get used to the point-bys. I too like the S2 giving a "pure" driving experience for reasonable $$. I just say to the late-model 911 crowd: "Traction control? Oh, you mean my right foot?" LOL
You are right about the rarity on track. It seems if you are really looking for a good "bang for the buck" track car the smart way to go is a Miata. But I have always wanted a 944...

I got used to the point-bys very quickly. I'm not happy with it, but it gives me a goal to shoot for: Giving the point-by well AFTER the turn, and not BEFORE it!

Still, I am thinking of re-painting the car dark blue with a yellow diagonal strip across it...
Old 04-03-2012 | 11:03 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah...I do lots pointing. Long term though I think the s2 is the perfect platform for me to become a better driver.
Old 04-03-2012 | 11:21 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Still, I am thinking of re-painting the car dark blue with a yellow diagonal strip across it...
That's really funny.

I rented a Spec Miata in Texas this winter, and the guys who ran them there (at TWS) told me that you really only brake in three places on the track (though there are 15 turns)! Needless to say, it was great fun, and I'll definitely do it again.
Old 04-03-2012 | 11:43 AM
67King
Race Car

It is clear the 22 year old suspension is a bit tired, as can be seen in pics showing the car practically dragging the door sill on the track in turns. At the very least I’m thinking I need some new springs, though coilovers would certainly make things even better… Going around the turns faster is going to be my only hope!

I will say, beyond lack of driving skill, the biggest issue I faced in handling of the S2 vs. the Cayman.................
A somewhat well prepared S2 will leave stock Caymans in the dust. With a little more seat time and some good mods, your biggest problem with become the ego of the Boxster and Cayman drivers who can't fathom that a 944 is faster than them (911 guys aren't a problem, interestingly). Below is a shot of my car with good coil-overs (Ledas) and Racer's Edge control arm bushings. Stock sway bars, full interior (i.e. heavy) and relatively narrow tires, though they were Hoosiers (almost used up, though!).

If you look closely, you can see that I have thrown up my hands is exasperation. This was my first solo event, and I was behind a Cayman S who would NOT give me a point by. He was getting a checkride to move up to advanced solo. He had a LOT more seat time, and 100 horsepower on me, and was still slower. After about 6 laps, he FINALLY let me by, and I never saw him again.

Quick Reply: First track time with 944S2