Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter projects all done! Come on spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 07:50 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Default Winter projects all done! Come on spring

So I have owned my car for almost a year after looking for a 944/911 for many years. This being my first Porsche I was not sure what to expect.

Last summer I updated the interior so I decided to keep it up and bring the car back to her glory over the winter.

My winter project started with having my wheels refinished as they were all faded.

I went on to pick up some rock guards from a RL member as mine were all cracked. Took me several hours to get the old ones off using various methods (I had all winter so no stress).

I went to fix a small hole I found in the battery tray area only to pick away at a much larger hole that was covered up some time in the cars past. Again this took me quite a while and was a repair I was not counting on. I purchased a battery cover from the dealer ($10) as sugested by Clark's garage to help prevent battery acid from causing this again. I also may buy a dry cell battery in the spring.

I installed a wide band O2 sensor (still need to get the exhaust end done) and replaced the boost control which was not working.

Also installed a fire extinguisher mount on the passenger seat. Ash tray replaced with a cell phone holder (thanks to another RL member).

All I need is for the snow to melt and enjoy the drive. Only items I didn't touch was the noise on decell I have from the transmission (but I did discover I have a limited slip diff!!) and a plastic rattle from the belt area when cold. Both issues were there when I bought the car and have not gotten worse over the summer...might be on my summer to do list or just wait and see if it gets worse.

A big thank you to many members who have answered my questions and helped me while working on my car. Without this forum I would likely be fustrated and spending a lot more money and time trying to work on my car.

Took some cell phone pictures today..

Old 03-05-2012 | 08:12 PM
elzergone
Pro

Whats the weird filter thing?

Car looks great though!
Old 03-05-2012 | 08:19 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

It's a crank case breather. Good thing the car does not need emission tests anymore haha
Old 03-05-2012 | 09:26 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i wouldnt use that style of catch can if i were you
Old 03-05-2012 | 10:34 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reno808
i wouldnt use that style of catch can if i were you
I don't like the sound of that...What is wrong with it?

Last time I posted a picture of my engine I was advised my stock fuel lines were a ticking time bomb..

All the components under the hood were installed by the PO, I don't know a whole lot about them other than everything works.
Old 03-05-2012 | 10:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

well Lindsey racing sells catch cans like that and they recommend them, but most prefer to run a can that keeps a vac. on the system, rerouting from where the filter is back to the intake. Vac on the catch can keeps a vac on the lower crank case and helps keep seals working and pressure from building.
Old 03-05-2012 | 11:26 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xsboost90
well Lindsey racing sells catch cans like that and they recommend them, but most prefer to run a can that keeps a vac. on the system, rerouting from where the filter is back to the intake. Vac on the catch can keeps a vac on the lower crank case and helps keep seals working and pressure from building.
Is that a documented fault with this setup? If so I will change it out (not that I have had any issues) ...oh and asking how the heck I do that haha
Old 03-06-2012 | 12:15 AM
xsbank
Racer

Great colour! Love those wheels, I would rather have those than mine; classic looks. And the polished rims are deluxe. I am in Montreal - keep us posted if you have a gathering, I will attend and swipe your seats!
Old 03-06-2012 | 12:30 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

There are Ottawa meets...I havent attended but hope to make it out this year. I also plan to take the 951 to Montreal for the Formula 1 weekend (at least one of the days)

Quick Reply: Winter projects all done! Come on spring