Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical water pump????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if a remote pump and smaller belt could be used then you only need to make some type of block off plate with the proper fitting
Old 02-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

These have been around for a few years now click here I was thinking about using one on my last car, but that would have been a lot more straight forward than on our cars
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

The easiest way would be to leave the existing water pump casting in place. Remove the roller, spindle and impeller and tap the spindle hole to fit a regular 944 idle belt roller. Use the same belt and fit the electric pump into the external piping.

The advantages would be:
Less parasitic power loss from driving mechanical water pump.
Less wear on belt from drag caused by water pump roller.
Less expense, no need to change water pump due to wear in water pump roller, just replace the roller.
Plus with an external controller you can more accirately increase/deacrease water flow depending on engine temp.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM
944meister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
The easiest way would be to leave the existing water pump casting in place. Remove the roller, spindle and impeller and tap the spindle hole to fit a regular 944 idle belt roller. Use the same belt and fit the electric pump into the external piping.

The advantages would be:
Less expense, no need to change water pump due to wear in water pump roller, just replace the roller.
Plus with an external controller you can more accirately increase/deacrease water flow depending on engine temp.
That probably would be the easiest way to do it. You could also use a 1/4" aluminum plate, machine the surface flat, measure and drill out the mounting hole locations on a manual mill. cut out a larger hole and tig weld a short piece of aluminum pipe to connect the rubber hose, and mount it with the existing water pump gasket.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep in mind OEM electric pumps are computer controlled, and without such computer control, they are actually an energy hog, because alternators are less than 30% efficient overall at generating the power needed. Seems like a lot of trouble for something that lasts 100k miles and costs a couple hundred bucks at most.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Keep in mind OEM electric pumps are computer controlled, and without such computer control, they are actually an energy hog, because alternators are less than 30% efficient overall at generating the power needed. Seems like a lot of trouble for something that lasts 100k miles and costs a couple hundred bucks at most.
i cant imagine even a big pump taking that much power to run continuously...besides, bigger alternators are easily adapted (the nissan 130amp for example...) and i could have a twin-alternator setup on my 944 soon to power the laserbeams i call headlights/stereo/flux capacitor

if you fix pump flow to RPM, or just make it run constant RPM at high flow rate it would work for probably 95% of street driving. add a **** or something to kick up the flow on hot days...boom.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944

The advantages would be:
i just happen to have a 951 water pump in my garage i have no need for...would i need to destroy the impeller/shaft to remove it?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i cant imagine even a big pump taking that much power to run continuously...besides, bigger alternators are easily adapted (the nissan 130amp for example...) and i could have a twin-alternator setup on my 944 soon to power the laserbeams i call headlights/stereo/flux capacitor

if you fix pump flow to RPM, or just make it run constant RPM at high flow rate it would work for probably 95% of street driving. add a **** or something to kick up the flow on hot days...boom.
So, even a big pump doesn't take much power? But eliminating the stock pump is going to make some big difference?!

How do you control the flow to maintain temperature? The OEM systems I'm familiar with eliminate the thermostat, which is one of electrics' advantages. That's why they use a computer. Warming up from cold is especially important.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Ross
So, even a big pump doesn't take much power? But eliminating the stock pump is going to make some big difference?!

How do you control the flow to maintain temperature? The OEM systems I'm familiar with eliminate the thermostat, which is one of electrics' advantages. That's why they use a computer. Warming up from cold is especially important.
i think in this exercise the transition to an electric pump is to eliminate the seized belt problem some have with the standard pulley. by power i meant amps - a stock alternator is 90 or 115 amps depending on model year.

this one is rated 55gpm (3300gph) and draws 11-13 amps. i dont know the specs of the 944 pump but i doubt it flows anywhere near that much water and the cooling system seems to work out just fine (aside from the pulley issue), so the amp draw could be dialed down.

you are reasonable to think a computer control (maybe some type of independent controller is available) would be good. no argument there.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Most if the aftermarket pumps come with or without a controller. You don't need a thermostat so that's another item for the trash bin. The controllers I've seen work on coolant temp, the higher the temp the more flow from the pump. At cold there would be minimum flow though it would flow throughout the system not just the engine.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
nasty9er
Racer

Thumbs up

944meister i like how you think im all about minimalism

Spencer go for it!

MagK944 Temp control would work just fine

a remote pump will increase the systems volume, also losing the impeller and thermostat would help flow

my 924s was plagued with over heating until i put a wizard rad in it
this would be a great addition to the system

Last edited by nasty9er; 02-08-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
nasty9er
Racer

can some one tell me what this port is used for?

if it is a pump bypass then that cant be cut out of the equation as well

Quick Reply: Electrical water pump????