Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation and frost inside car

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Condensation and frost inside car

How many people here drive their 944 car in the winter? It has gotten cold at night here the last few days and I am noticing an alarming amount of liquid on the inside of my windshield, and all windows. Car in question is an '86 Turbo

Tonight was the worst. I will park my car at maybe 8:00pm after using the heat and come back out to it many hours later when it has gotten close to or below freezing and I noticed the inside of my windshield was fogged up badly and as it has gotten colder the fog has gotten worse and now I am getting frost on the inside of my windshield, more frost than the outside. At first I thought maybe this was normal for these cars and started leaving my vent all the way down thinking maybe cold air was getting in through the cowl. But now that it has gotten this bad I know this cant be normal. Anyone experience this or have any advise for me? There must be a seal somewhere that is not working properly anymore.

The car has had a full respray so I am thinking maybe something was not installed correctly or at all? The passenger door handle is missing the seal behind the handle, could this be the problem? I am assuming they lost it when painting the car and were too lazy or cheap to buy a new one which is just unacceptable especially for how nice of a job the paint work was on the car. I have already ordered two new door handle seals but I feel like something else has got to be wrong...

Oh and also my lock cylinder in my drivers door handle was frozen too, I had to breathe on it for a minute to get it to move. That's going to be a pain in the ***.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could help you. Yes I drive my car year round. Doesn't get too cold out here, but a couple mornings ago my windshield (mainly outside, somewhat inside) kept fogging up on the way to school. Also, when it rains and I have my windows up I have a major problem with it fogging up...
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Hey Butters thanks, that is helpful some because you confirm you have a fog problem sometimes too but don't live in as cold of an area as me. I've never owned a car this old so I'm just not sure how much of this could be due to the nature of the car and how much is because of something I don't know about.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Fintro11
Pro

Originally Posted by robstah
Rain-x makes an anti-fog treatment that you can put on the inside of the windshield. I have even heard of people using shampoo as well.
the po of my car used rain x >.< the whole windshield is murky in colour >.< i have tried everything to get it off.

Although it could just be the glue separating in the glass, It could be the original windshield.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excessive moisture in your car. I know it’s been raining allot here lately, so if you have a leak allowing moisture in the cabin you’ll also have frost when the temps are freezing. If your AC is in working order you should be able to pull moisture from the cabin when the defroster is run. Make sure the recirculation button is not on for this will keep the system closed not allowing the damp air to escape.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:38 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by 951Saga
Excessive moisture in your car. I know it’s been raining allot here lately, so if you have a leak allowing moisture in the cabin you’ll also have frost when the temps are freezing. If your AC is in working order you should be able to pull moisture from the cabin when the defroster is run. Make sure the recirculation button is not on for this will keep the system closed not allowing the damp air to escape.
Good thinking on the AC to help dry it out! Shame on me for not even thinking of doing that. I see you are from Ohio, yes it has been raining a lot, hate it. I agree there is excessive moisture so finding out where it is coming from is what I really need to do. I don't know of any obvious leaks though sunroof doesn't leak, hatch doesn't seem to leak, battery tray is intact, any common places these cars leak water?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:38 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by Fintro11
the po of my car used rain x >.< the whole windshield is murky in colour >.< i have tried everything to get it off.

Although it could just be the glue separating in the glass, It could be the original windshield.
Were they a smoker? That can leave a really nasty film on the windshield.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by robstah
Rain-x makes an anti-fog treatment that you can put on the inside of the windshield. I have even heard of people using shampoo as well.
That is worth trying I think, thanks I didn't know they made that.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Fintro11
Pro

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Were they a smoker? That can leave a really nasty film on the windshield.
hmm im not sure, the headliner is fine though but you never know >.< ugh smoking
Old 12-01-2011, 07:41 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not so much the car as the environment and its use.
My wife has a brand new car, and it fogs up terribly and gets frost on the windshield all winter.
I start driving the car, and after a few days of commuting, no more foggy windows.
What is the difference you ask? She drives 14Km to work, I drive 110KM to work.

Getting in and out of the car in the rain, with wet shoes, wet coat, wet boxes/bags/cargo all bring moisture into the car. With it all sealed up, the water has no where to go, and never gets a chance to dry out during small trips.
Of course water leaks into the car will only make this worse.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had problems with freezing lock cylinders and excessive moisture. Inspect closely the carpet around the footwells (possibly pull it down if you're ambitious and suspect something), and pull up the carpets in the hatch area and check for any liquid (not brought in by luggage or shoes; it should be apparent). Pull up the false bulkhead cover and look for standing water and leaves. Check the hatch window to see it is not separating from the hatch frame (common and sometimes unnoticed) and that the hatch seal is still doing at least part of its job. Check that water isn't standing in the sunroof ledge area. Blow out/root out debris in the spoiler drains.

I've had the doors freeze shut on the 951 I drove in winter. I've found leaves and organic debris in places you wouldn't expect in all my 944-series cars. I once had both locks freeze with the engine running (frightening).

I oiled my key with gun oil several times before using the locks so to oil the mechanism and get the little cover door to work smoothly again. This was just something I thought of, so use it at your own risk. It did help substantially.

The gaskets around the door handles are a standard period Volkswagen part and very inexpensive.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Toran
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
That is worth trying I think, thanks I didn't know they made that.
Woke up to the same inside frost!
The Rain-x anti-fog treatment didn't work last Winter season. I even put a container of baking soda on the dash to help but with little results.

I need to check the rear hatch seal again as there is a gap right in the middle, right above the lock cylinder.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

for sure humidity in the car somewhere.

You would be amazed how much water can get in just from missing door handle seals. When I got it the door handle seals were not on my S2 Cab and the drivers door didn't have a plastic membrane on it anymore. I drove the car 400 miles in the rain to get it home and the inside of the door card was soaking wet when I got it home. Since I added the door handle seals, put a plastic membrane and changed the door card the inside of the door has been bone dry.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check you air intakes. Leaves around them will stop proper air flow
Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this same problem with my 951 and 968 in damp climates. Usually checking all of the usual suspects will reveal where moisture is entering.

Quick Reply: Condensation and frost inside car