Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only 310WHP what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Jeengo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HJK
Intercooler capacity? is it clean? Check it out, easy check. I lost and found over 40 whp due to clogged intercooler.
Henk
Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Changed over to a JPEG.. here is the chart..

Turbo not reaching peak boost till over 4500 RPM?

Turbo is a bit on the large side (GT35) for the motor (2.5L).. likely OUT of its efficiency range which WILL hurt over all performance...

Injectors should be fine for the HP goals, timing is likely slightly retarded... but not likely retarded enough to be costing you 30Hp.. it would be noticeable if it was retarding due to knock..

If I had to venture a guess, I bet you would get better spool (by 2000 RPM or so), and better over all performance from a slightly smaller turbo (GT3076 or even GT3071..)...

otherwise it is an artifact of the dyno, and the bouncing of the graph once boost target is reached is likely the WG fluttering...
Thank You for your response,

The dyno guy started a little late from what I see in the photo, looks like somewhere between 3000-3200rpm. I usually get full boost by 3500 rpm, the turbo I have on the car actually boosts really soon, I don't know why the dyno is showing otherwise.

I understand that a larger turbo might hurt the situation but according to lindsey's site, they have 67mm turbos close to 400WHP with less mods.

Here is one of their dyne's with a large turbo along with the supporting mods listed. What do you think? Are these number possible with the mods listed? and if so whats wrong with my setup.

Ted Burges 2.5L 951:

Lindsey Racing Super75/8 Turbo
Lindsey Racing Dual Port Wastegate
Siemens 55# Injectors
SPEC Stage III 6 puck Clutch
MAF
Mostly stock exhaust
375 RWHP / 390 FtLbs. @ 18 psi.

Thanks and God Bless
Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At 19 psi you should be well over that number, especially on a dynojet. Even if the turbo is not completely in its efficiency range.

The head should not be a problem until 400 hp.

Do you have a cat on? I would also be looking at a collapsed crossover.

Backpressure can rob some real hp.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
blown 944
Race Car

One other thing I just noticed is the correction factor of .98. That is very conservative
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT35 turbo... which hot side housing is it running, you mentioned V band.. is it a Tial housing, or some other dual V band housing?

The LR chart and specs you posted.. Will a 67mm turbo make big numbers? yes it will, but if you notice it isnt hitting peak boost till almost 4800 RPM..... OK for track.. not so much for the street (for most people). 395 on a "lightly modded" car.... sure.... uh huh...

You have a big laggy turbo, being under driven by you engine, and a conservative dyno operator.. if it feels good, roll with it.. and have fun!

If your looking for the biggest numbers out there... get real, drop the coin, go 3.4L 16V and dont look back!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Dynos are different under different conditions and states of tune to your car etc as noted. Within 10% or so is probably acceptable -except to the purchaser LOL.

Send Lindsey the results and I bet they will have an idea of what to look for.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Jeengo
AutoX

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
The GT35 turbo... which hot side housing is it running, you mentioned V band.. is it a Tial housing, or some other dual V band housing?

The LR chart and specs you posted.. Will a 67mm turbo make big numbers? yes it will, but if you notice it isnt hitting peak boost till almost 4800 RPM..... OK for track.. not so much for the street (for most people). 395 on a "lightly modded" car.... sure.... uh huh...

You have a big laggy turbo, being under driven by you engine, and a conservative dyno operator.. if it feels good, roll with it.. and have fun!

If your looking for the biggest numbers out there... get real, drop the coin, go 3.4L 16V and dont look back!
Never heard of someone doing a 3.4L Turbo specially a 16V, I've only seen up to 3.1L with an 8V head. I would really like some more info on what need to be done to go 3.4L. A parts list maybe?

I'm not sure what you mean by conservative dyno operator, but the weird thing is that I get full boost before 3500 rpm don't know why its showing other wise.

My main problem is that I don't think the numbers on their dynes are realistic specially considering what mods their cars have that are producing those numbers.

God Bless
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Jeengo
AutoX

Originally Posted by blown 944
At 19 psi you should be well over that number, especially on a dynojet. Even if the turbo is not completely in its efficiency range.

The head should not be a problem until 400 hp.

Do you have a cat on? I would also be looking at a collapsed crossover.

Backpressure can rob some real hp.
I agree that at 19psi I should be showing higher numbers. The car definitely feels like it has more that 310 to the wheels.

There was no cat on the car during the dyno (straight through).

I have checked the crossover, headers (when the motor was done) and my intake had no oil in it so I never checked the intercooler, but as someone else recommended I think I will pull the IC and check it, I just never had a reason to.

I really appreciate everyones suggestions, I am confident that someone will help me find the problem (if any) and in turn maybe what I find might help someone else.

God Bless
Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

What gear did you use during the dyno run?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I seriously doubt LR would falsely advertise. Is your engine in top running condition? How long ago was the rebuild, and have you checked compression and leakdown lately? Is your exhaust system leak-free?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:52 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeengo
Never heard of someone doing a 3.4L Turbo specially a 16V, I've only seen up to 3.1L with an 8V head. I would really like some more info on what need to be done to go 3.4L. A parts list maybe?

I'm not sure what you mean by conservative dyno operator, but the weird thing is that I get full boost before 3500 rpm don't know why its showing other wise.

My main problem is that I don't think the numbers on their dynes are realistic specially considering what mods their cars have that are producing those numbers.

God Bless
3.4L 16v...

only one i know of. so it has been done, but you'll need real deep pockets.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-16-valve.html
Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 AM
80sriy
4th Gear

I bought the LR 340 RWHP kit and their crate motor. $ 12000 later. No after sales support. The motor had to be rebuit because of engine leaks. the power was about 250 RWHP. Beware of LR. Very bad ppl. The Mafterburner is abosolute rubbish. Mafterburner is not around any longer (no surprise). LR won't replace the defectvie parts even though they have some in stock.

Lindsey is a big advertising show but low on actual delivery - bad bad ppl
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by 80sriy
I bought the LR 340 RWHP kit and their crate motor. $ 12000 later. No after sales support. The motor had to be rebuit because of engine leaks. the power was about 250 RWHP. Beware of LR. Very bad ppl. The Mafterburner is abosolute rubbish. Mafterburner is not around any longer (no surprise). LR won't replace the defectvie parts even though they have some in stock.

Rut roh. I would like to say I have had great experiences with Lindsey Racing. I'm curious what all happened in your case?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

MAfterburner is great for what it is. It's simply a piggyback and works well in it's intended application. It's not sold anymore because the guy who makes them (zone 5 performance from memory) decided to get out of the business of making performance parts. User error or inexperience accounts for most of the problems seen with interceptors.

I can only say good things about Lindsey. They are easy to get in touch with and it's nice to be able to speak directly with the owners. That is rare in this day and age. Their support has been great for anything I've bought (which has been many orders). They have replaced parts (most recently some braided fuel lines) with no questions asked. Just my 5c.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

The motor had to be rebuit because of engine leaks.
This is beautiful.

Step 1. Look under your 951.
Step 2. If it has any leaks, go to step 3. If it doesn't have any leaks, wait a month and repeat step 2. It will.
Step 3. Rebuild engine.

There you have it.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Early944
Intermediate

Coming from an NA owner, I don't think you need to be complaining. But do improve your current setup

Quick Reply: Only 310WHP what gives?