Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi! New 944 owner from Australia!:)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi! New 944 owner from Australia!:)

Hi from Australia!

I took delivery of this 1984 Porsche 944 N/A automatic last week! It is the first Porsche I've ever owned, am still grinning ear to ear. It is a clean, straight and well cared for vehicle, with a comprehensive history and hasn't been modified or molested.

So far I've changed the spark-plugs and given it a detail, but am awaiting delivery of an oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, thermostat, water pump, rotor button, ignition leads, timing belt kit, front discs and pads, rear discs and pads, control arm bushes and ball-joints, and driveshaft boots. I preferred to take care of the obvious items of wear and have a clean-slate of knowing that these have been done.

It's not 100% perfect, but has been the best 'original' example I've found after lots of searching. There's many little things to do and was always intended to be a daily-driver project when not using the sports motorbike (which is my preferred mode to get around). My gf also rides hers all the time, but since getting this, it's been rather easy to get her into a 'cage', hahaha!

Here's a few pics to enjoy, and also want to mention what a fantastic resource
this website is! So much useful knowledge from helpful members!

Last edited by El_Duderino; 10-04-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

strange seeing your car with the different front and rear bumpers, lol. the car looks amazing however. looks to have been very very well cared for! it sounds like you have a good plan for maintenance ahead of you. the car is in good hands!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! that looks real clean, why the auto?

Judging from your number plates... you've from melbourne? if so where abouts?

There's a few of us Australians around
Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Welcome! that looks real clean, why the auto?

Judging from your number plates... you've from melbourne? if so where abouts?

There's a few of us Australians around
Thanks mate! I'm from regional Victoria actually, but get down to Melbourne from time to time.

The choice of an auto was unusual (bit like the colour I guess!), but that's just how this was optioned. I would normally prefer a manual, but was more concerned about finding 'The One' in good mechanical and body condition, with a documented history than worry about which type of transmission.

Being a bike rider, any car is going to be slow to me, so this is just intended to be a nice cruise machine with good handling...definitely not going to be thrashed or punted around. It'll also be handy to do the grocery shopping as it has a boot and not a backpack!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

great cars and I'm sure you'll love it!

Planning to mod it? you can get some nice suspension kits for these cars and a few other things.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Wow, really like the color! Nice find
Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and Welcome!

I'm glad to hear your taking care of all that maintenance right at the start; plus it sounds like you'll be doin the work yourself so Cheers* to that!

I rode bikes for a few years, and doing all your shopping with a backpack gets a little ridiculous... Sold my bikes last year, need to pickup another one soon!

Enjoy the car, and Check in here often!

-Pete
Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

welcome! its amazing what the euro bumbers do to the look of the NA. Im pleasantly surprised everytime i see it! and its a beautiful example after all these years! Congrats!
Chris
Old 10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Welcome & congrats the car look great & was well taking care off that's for sure.Had the same interior color in my ex 83-944.I see the steering wheel is going a little dull on you which is perfectly normal for a 944 that age,if your planing to keep it you should try this stuff & recolor it ,it will match your interior almost perfectly.If needed more infos on how to prep it give me a PM.BTW will love to see the motor we're pics addicts here.Take care.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really has me wanting the Euro style front and rear bumpers...
Old 10-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
i think the reason behind that was the US was still in the time where females where the worlds worst drivers and needed extra protection for the car

silly silly silly...
Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

wow that baby is clean !! congrats and welcome!
pics of the seats please .
I owned a euro 84 as well . more HP and those nice small bumpers ,
You can tell by the first 3 letters of the vin wpo or wpz , I believe wpz is the euro .BTW buy a spare dme relay and keep it in the glove box , these cars are famous for it going bad .( its the fuel pump relay ) it is on your fuse panel inside the car down by your feet. when it goes the car wont want to start ...easy fix
Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Sweet car!! My mate had an '83 that colour for about 10yrs. it had a black dash with the same carpet though.

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
DO NOT LOOK AT THIS THREAD!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Red Clubbie
Track Day

Welcome....good to see some more Aussie owners on here.

Car looks good....

Cheers,

Geoff.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 PM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Wow, what a great response and way to make the new guy feel welcomed! I hardly know where to start with replies now, lol!

I don't really plan on modding it and would prefer to keep it as close to original as possible, but inevitably there will be some upgraded parts installed. Just so long as the original character of the car is retained. The shocks could do with replacing as I can feel they're starting to get a little tired, so am considering getting some coil-overs in the near future. The main focus for the time being is to give a comprehensive service, replacing the items listed at the beginning of this thread for peace of mind and mechanical sympathy, and fix up any minor issues as I come across them. Already I've found a few hoses which I'd like to replace due to signs of minor perishing. Reconditioning the fuel injectors is also on the list of things to do.

As you can see by the interior pic there's no stereo (no tunes is doing my head in atm!), plus the original speakers are still installed and are pretty well shagged. I'm looking to install a Nakamichi headunit, and for speakers want to put Nakamichi 4" (with adapter plates I'll fabricate) for the front, and Nakamichi 6x9's in the factory rear location. I'm still unsure regarding subwoofer choice and location, but definitely want something discreet/hidden with good sound quality.

I'll be doing all the work to the car myself. I used to be a BMW and Jaguar technician and later a Volvo parts manager, so am pretty well clued with Eurotrash and tooled-up to do it. :P Each marque has their quirks and ways of doing things, so atm I am still getting my head around the 944...expect the odd dumb question during the honeymoon period, hahaha! For what it's worth though, these seem pretty straightforward cars to work on.

Sifting through the immense amount of receipts and paperwork the car came with, a new DME was fitted 2 months ago, the transmission was reconditioned 2.5 years ago, and a head gasket was changed at the same time (new valves, and the rest as well). I could go on and on cos the whole history is documented. I'll still be changing the timing belt just for peace of mind, even though this was done at the same time as the head gasket. Thanks for the advice to keep a spare DME relay handy...I've just gone and bought one on your recommendation, as well as a heap of spare fuses.

I've started to give the engine bay a bit of a clean and detail, so will take some pics and put them up shortly.

I took the car to an auto upholsterers the other day to get their opinion of what needed doing. The only thing they could find, was some minor cracks in the dash (fairly typical with older cars here in Australia), and the front seat bases need re-stitching either side of the centre panels. The drivers side base centre has one split from side to side which is easily fixed, and the foam could do with a freshen up. They were especially surprised to find that the seats have had covers on them since day one, as the fabric with the Porsche logo is unmarked and still like new. I'll take some pics later and post them up as requested.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the name of the exterior and interior colours are, and possibly the colour codes?

Any other suggestions of things to check, keep handy at all times, improvements, etc would be most appreciated! Once again, thanks for an amazing welcome!

Quick Reply: Hi! New 944 owner from Australia!:)