Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi! New 944 owner from Australia!:)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:16 PM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbell
I rode bikes for a few years, and doing all your shopping with a backpack gets a little ridiculous... Sold my bikes last year, need to pickup another one soon!
Hahaha! Yeah breaking the shopping list and doing several trips into what you can fit into a backpack gets annoying eh?! Have to admit, living in a small regional city and doing grocery shopping with a Porsche sure attracts some strange looks!

What did you used to ride btw, and what's up for consideration as your next weapon? I've got a red 2007 Cagiva Mito 125 Evo, a black tricked-up 2011 Suzuki SV650S, and my gf has a blue/grey 2010 Suzuki GSX-R600 which we're gradually tricking up.

She dropped her Gixxer the other day at low speed on the way to work, and is feeling a bit bruised and pissed off atm. Skin ripped off her knees hasn't got her happy either, because it's hurting to walk and is going to scar. Broken left rearset, ground-down the oggy-**** n bar end, and scratched the ducktail and mirror...that's easily fixed. She's getting a bit confident and cheeky with the new bike, n knew this would happen. I was mighty pissed off because despite my insistances about wearing the right gear, she took the lazy option wearing jeans, no knee armour and no back armour, and slid into a traffic island, narrowly missing a metal pole. Very lucky!

Anyway, here's some pics of the beasts for your enjoyment!

My Suzuki SV650S

My Cagiva Mito 125 Evo

Bel's GSX-R600

Last edited by El_Duderino; 10-04-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

there should be an options code sticker in the spare tyre well:

and by decoding your VIN you can tell what they mean.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by El_Duderino
Wow, what a great response and way to make the new guy feel welcomed! I hardly know where to start with replies now, lol!

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the name of the exterior and interior colours are, and possibly the colour codes?____Your options /color codes stiker you'll find in the spare (tyre) cubby hole,your car has a brown/grey beige int -seats -lower doors panel -carpet ect.

Any other suggestions of things to check, keep handy at all times, improvements, etc would be most appreciated! Once again, thanks for an amazing welcome!
___Improvements -let's start with the suspension you don't want to go with extreme mods if your not tracking the car & want to retain a good street ride but at the same time be able to spirit drive it.So start by replacing all those old rubber bushings front & rear.Then using a 200/220 lb springs which will drop the front 1.25" to 1.5" couple with Sach/Boge should do the job in the front.Rear you can lower it 3/4" & go with a Sach/Boge sport shock.A good set of brake pads is a must ( will be your choice ,personally mine was PBR DELUX) also S/S brakes lines will be an improvements.Now the serious stuff 16x7.5 frt wheels with 205-55-ZR 16 tires & 16x8.5 rear with 225-50 ZR 16 should give you plenty of grip.In the motor departement LOL not much can be done to an N/A unless you start spending serious money,but doing a good tune up using the rigth parts migth gain you a little,first the spark plugs those will be Bosch WR8DS (keep away from the Platinum) Ignition wires either Bosch Silicon or Beru should take care of the sparks (do not modify the air boxe ,up to date it's the best set up for your N/A).But a Throttle respond cam will be fun to have (no gain) but a quicker respond.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Look to me as being a Nugat Brown Metalic,the problem is that this color is not listed in the 84 Porsche color code.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ernie9468
Look to me as being a Nugat Brown Metalic,the problem is that this color is not listed in the 84 Porsche color code.
My bad...it's a built 1983 model, first registered in 1984. Delivery time from Europe was and still is a tad slow. Thanks for the speedy answer btw!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:48 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

I had a drive earlier and totally forgot about 'kick-down' on the accelerator...still getting used to having an auto! It builds up speed smoothly and quickly, but at 4000rpm's it starts to stutter, loses momentum briefly, then makes an effort to get along with the business of hard accelleration. Any ideas of typical areas to check and items to refurbish/replace?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a drive earlier and totally forgot about 'kick-down' on the accelerator...still getting used to having an auto! It builds up speed smoothly and quickly, but at 4000rpm's it starts to stutter, loses momentum briefly, then makes an effort to get along with the business of hard accelleration. Any ideas of typical areas to check and items to refurbish/replace?
Check the trapdoor on the AFM to see if it's getting stuck somewhere.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:00 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Check the trapdoor on the AFM to see if it's getting stuck somewhere.
I've done that thanks to your suggestion, and the trap door appears to be working perfectly well...hmmm! I still gave it a good clean and lubrication and driven briefly since doing that, and the problem still remains (although not to the extent it did before).

I have a sneaking suspicion that once the new rotor button and ignition leads are on this may resolve the issue. I fitted the set of NGK iridium plugs which the previous owner supplied (they were a bitch to gap correctly btw), so will changeover to the Bosch units previously suggested and see what impact that has. Using my best judgement, it's seeming more and more like these are causing the issue. I don't need to give the car a 'kick in the guts' for the driving I do, but would still like to have it sorted...it always was meant to be a project, hehe! I'll let you know how I go anyway mate!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

On another note, lastnight I purchased the front and rear Nakamichi speakers, as well as a Nakamichi 4ch amp, and am waiting for them to arrive any day now. I'll fit the new mid-spec Clarion headunit (which came with the car uninstalled) for the time being, and expect to buy a Nakamichi CD-400 headunit next week...the wallet is needing a brief recovery! Hahaha!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:31 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats! Shopping trips and smooth cornering are just what the autos are for!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:08 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ernie9468
Welcome & congrats the car look great & was well taking care off that's for sure.Had the same interior color in my ex 83-944.I see the steering wheel is going a little dull on you which is perfectly normal for a 944 that age,if your planing to keep it you should try this stuff & recolor it ,it will match your interior almost perfectly.If needed more infos on how to prep it give me a PM.BTW will love to see the motor we're pics addicts here.Take care.
Hey mate! Thanks for the help on offer about how to prep and paint the steering wheel...much appreciated, and would definitely like your advice on that!

We don't have that paint down here, so if you're keen at some stage soon I could sling you a few $'s and get you to send over the necessary quantity for the job.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bonus12
Congrats! Shopping trips and smooth cornering are just what the autos are for!

Thanks mate! That's really the extent of what it was bought for, as well as wanting one since I was 4yo, hehe! Shennannigans are best done with the bikes.

I swear I am just having 'the' coolest argument ever with my gf atm...I was planning to ride to Melbourne this weekend while seeing her, especially now her bike is fixed from the drop, and we go for a spirited ride together. Since getting the Porsche, I haven't ridden and am getting 2-wheeled withdrawal symptoms akin to a junky off the gear!

She's now demanding I take the Porsche down instead, so that we can have a cruise and a go out in that instead...and even have a drive. I suspect as some of her friends are coming over sunday, this might be influencing the 'push' to bring it down. Considering she hates cars, wonders will never cease! I'd prefer to give it a full service and get the stereo system installed first, but seems I might have to bow down to pressure.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:25 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey mate! Thanks for the help on offer about how to prep and paint the steering wheel...much appreciated, and would definitely like your advice on that!

We don't have that paint down here, so if you're keen at some stage soon I could sling you a few $'s and get you to send over the necessary quantity for the job.
Make a few calls i'm sure you could find something down here that's just as good!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:28 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Make a few calls i'm sure you could find something down here that's just as good!
Need the proper paint code though...totally winging it otherwise
Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Need the proper paint code though...totally winging it otherwise
What does the sticker say in the spare wheel cubby hole or is it missing?Are you 100% sure that the car has it's original paint.Like mention before it look like (Nougat Brown metalic LM8V) but the catch is that Porsche never came out with that color on a 944 before 1987.The only early Porsche available in Nougat Brown was the 928.

Quick Reply: Hi! New 944 owner from Australia!:)