Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snow tires

I'm thinking of running snow tires this year since my Eagle GT's didn't do so well last year in the snow. I was at a car show and spoke to a Continental rep and he was explaining how snow tires will make all the difference.

I am looking at General Tire Altimax Arctic Tire or the Continental ExtremeWinterContact. Has anyone run either of these tires. They are priced right from what I could tell.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I'm thinking of running snow tires this year since my Eagle GT's didn't do so well last year in the snow. I was at a car show and spoke to a Continental rep and he was explaining how snow tires will make all the difference.

I am looking at General Tire Altimax Arctic Tire or the Continental ExtremeWinterContact. Has anyone run either of these tires. They are priced right from what I could tell.
Snow tires are worth every penny. Don't know anything about those tires but I've heard good things about these new Firestone Winterforce's. Most everybody I know used Blizzaks
Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Honestly, I'm not sure how wrong you can go with winter tires. Yeah, some are going to be better than others but they are all going to be heads and shoulders above all seasons in the snow. I have them for my Miata and it's mindboggling just how well the car does in the snow and it's fun being the only Miata in a sea of SUVs!

Just a word of warning, tho... my experience has been that their ability to stop isn't on the same level as their ability to start and turn. It isn't that the stopping is bad or anything... just don't expect it to be as good as "going" and you might get yourself in trouble if you get complacent and think otherwise.

My only gripe with winter tires is that, in our mild winters, they are rather sucky on dry pavement. They have lots of squirm and not as much grip. But it'll probably be colder in MO than here so that detriment shouldn't be as much of an issue. Still, if you're going to have any real time in the snow then these things are well worth the money.

I'd recommend getting them mounted on a spare set of wheels if it's possible. It's nice to have the flexibility to swap them out whenever you need to rather than taking the car to a shop.

BB.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Honestly, I'm not sure how wrong you can go with winter tires. Yeah, some are going to be better than others but they are all going to be heads and shoulders above all seasons in the snow. I have them for my Miata and it's mindboggling just how well the car does in the snow and it's fun being the only Miata in a sea of SUVs!

Just a word of warning, tho... my experience has been that their ability to stop isn't on the same level as their ability to start and turn. It isn't that the stopping is bad or anything... just don't expect it to be as good as "going" and you might get yourself in trouble if you get complacent and think otherwise.

My only gripe with winter tires is that, in our mild winters, they are rather sucky on dry pavement. They have lots of squirm and not as much grip. But it'll probably be colder in MO than here so that detriment shouldn't be as much of an issue. Still, if you're going to have any real time in the snow then these things are well worth the money.

I'd recommend getting them mounted on a spare set of wheels if it's possible. It's nice to have the flexibility to swap them out whenever you need to rather than taking the car to a shop.

BB.
Thanks for the advice. Last year my car didn't do well at all in snow. It does not have a LSD which I'm sure would help.

Would I be able to get a cheap set of wheels for the winter tires, like $200 or less would be ideal.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

You probably could find them without breaking the bank too much. Start searching craigslist!

BB.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
God_Bot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Snow tires are worth every penny. Don't know anything about those tires but I've heard good things about these new Firestone Winterforce's. Most everybody I know used Blizzaks
X2! I've ran Blizzaks for a few winters and Winterforce tires last winter. Both are great tires and anytime I live where we get snow (Laramie, WY gets plenty) I make sure to have winter tires for my daily driver.

One thing to keep in mind is the temperature ratings of the compounds used. I can usually tell the difference on the warmer days, especially in the spring right before I switch back to my summer tires.

Might be a bit different on the 944, I still have the all-seasons that the previous owner put on, but I don't drive it in the winter so couldn't comment on it.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i always see nice 911 or Boxster rims with perfect snow tires around $400 for sale in my area... I know of at least two full sets right now. So Yea, Search Craigslist.

I have been riding on a set of Turbo Twists with Michelin Allpine Snow Tires all summer... They are Crazy in the Rain!! Like Drifting around corners non-stop;;; which is actually is sort of fun. But this is one of the reasons i don't let anyone else drive my car...

Basically i got the rims with these tires for $400, and have been too cheap to invest in new rubber... Besides winter always comes eventually...

Past Experience and Recommendation is Bridgestone Blizzacks!! I lived in Upstate NY my whole life, and these tire were amazing in snow and on ice!
A good all season is Bridgestone Potenzas; I ran those the last two years, and had no problem in the snow...
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Also***** If your Suspension is worn (bad shocks) your car will be very dangerous in the snow... little bumps or braking will cause excessive sliding and spinning.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

15" dials with those contis will be amazing in the snow. I had a set on my girlfriends passat last season and they got us out of some nasty flash blizzard conditions about a week after we put them on. Ironicly we put the eagle GT's on her car for the summer, so we will be on top of getting those contis back on.

Remember Tall and Narrow are your friend for the snow, itll squirm when its dry but thats the trade off. You can always leave the gts in the garage if you have 2 sets of rims and swap around as needed
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I have a turbo so 15 inch wheels won't cut it. I am looking for a cheap set of phonedials. Don't really care on condition as long as they are true.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Winter tires are the law here from December 15 to March 15 and I have to say it is one of the few laws that have come into effect lately that I totally agree with.

I had a pair of Nokian Hakkapalitas on my old BMW 33OI and they were amazing. We get lots of snow in Montreal and they were outstanding on both deep snow and ice.

Not a big fan of Blizzaks or Dunlop winter SP mediocre experience with both of them on RWD cars.

I put Hankook's on my wife's Golf wagon last winter and they were quite good and cheep.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Hakkapalitas are the best.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:42 AM
944meister
Pro

Don't compromise, get studded hakkapalita's if you deal with a lot of snow/ice
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 AM
944meister