Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler: To part or not to part

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Feeler: To part or not to part

I was recently in an accident and am torn between fixing and selling or parting

Here is a link to my recent thread on the accident where pictures can be seen:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...sh-damage.html

The car in question is a 1989 NA. I am just curious if there is much of a demand for parts from an 89 car specifically the 2.7l engine. Mechanically the car is in great shape and would be a great winter beater after fixing the cosmetic damage but after purchasing a 951 I am out of cash and am tempted to spring for the fast cash by parting so that I can do as much preventative maintenance and upgrades to the 951 as possible. Also the interior is in pretty good shape as well, linen/black.

Please spare me the lecture about buying a car you can't afford to maintain because I can I would just rather save and use money from parting this car or fixing and selling than dip into the rainy day fund.

So my question is what would YOU do? Part or fix then sell? I would also like to gauge interest in specific parts but I'm not sure if you have to be a paying member to start a part out/parts for sale thread so I will not treat this as one of those at the moment.

Edit:
I should also add part of the reason for considering parting vs fixing and selling is that there is a slight rust issue and I am not sure if I will be able to get the money I'd like after fixing with the rust. Basically both the rocker panels are rotten and there is some surface rust on the wheel arches inside the wheel wells
Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.7's are worth a good bit. How is the 951? If it is solid and reliable, part this one. If it is not going to be reliable wihtout a lot of invesment, you should probably try to fix this one and have it as a backup. Being a car enthusiast in college can be fiscally challenging.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

P A R T... by all means....

hell, everyone ELSE does. even when they're NOT in an accident.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by 67King
2.7's are worth a good bit. How is the 951? If it is solid and reliable, part this one. If it is not going to be reliable wihtout a lot of invesment, you should probably try to fix this one and have it as a backup. Being a car enthusiast in college can be fiscally challenging.
The 951 is solid I just have timing belt/water pump paranoia. The timing belt and water pump were done in 2005 I believe and there has only been a few thousand miles since then I think (Ill have to go back and check the records to be sure) but I am under the impression this job should be done asap. Really does not need much investment but there are many things I'd like to do just for piece of mind and for fun. Also yes it can be fiscally challenging but there's no getting around it, once an enthusiast always an enthusiast.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The head of the 2.7 liter is worth a lot of money. Part it out for the quick cash and fund the 951.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

I am in a similar situation...but my 944 was hit by hail. I flipped the insurance money into a sorted 951. After driving it for a week now..i'm conflicted. If it was as damaged as yours, I'd probably part it. You could suss out used body parts on the cheap though....as long as there is no frame damage. i just couldn't justify spending $3k on new paint and only adding $1k in value. If my car is going to be a money pit...at least it's fast now. :0
Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by BlackOp
I am in a similar situation...but my 944 was hit by hail. I flipped the insurance money into a sorted 951. After driving it for a week now..i'm conflicted. If it was as damaged as yours, I'd probably part it. You could suss out used body parts on the cheap though....as long as there is no frame damage. i just couldn't justify spending $3k on new paint and only adding $1k in value. If my car is going to be a money pit...at least it's fast now. :0
Ahh yes I believe I saw a thread of yours about your situation shortly after purchasing my 951 and remember thinking wow that's pretty cool and coincidental that we both stumbled upon what seem to be nicely sorted 951's for a below average price around the same time and apparently now both with insurance money. Anyway I am definitely leaning towards parting mainly because I am impatient (waiting on the replacement panels to be painted) and I have never parted a car before and it sounds like a blast to me. I just love being in the garage wrenching.

Trending Topics

Old 09-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

It could definately be difficult re-selling the car once fixed... People have a problem with buying cars that have been repaired that have been in an accident.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

the head is worth $1000 or more. the complete engine maybe $1500. other than that its pretty much a standard late 944...whats it worth to you?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:26 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PART it , leave your sentiments aside and do it, unfortunately it's not worth fixing ,i learned that the hard way.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by Butters944
It could definately be difficult re-selling the car once fixed... People have a problem with buying cars that have been repaired that have been in an accident.
Yes very true people do have a problem buying cars after an accident especially with a rebuilt salvage title. Although I do know enough "car people" who would understand what kind of condition it really is in and not have a problem.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
the head is worth $1000 or more. the complete engine maybe $1500. other than that its pretty much a standard late 944...whats it worth to you?
Its not worth much to me anymore so I will probably be parting it.

Originally Posted by catamax944
PART it , leave your sentiments aside and do it, unfortunately it's not worth fixing ,i learned that the hard way.
Thanks I did want to hear from people with previous experience. I probably will be doing so.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Aaaand you did gain a 951 from the accident, meaning why spend the money to try to repair if there's chance it will get complicated, when you could sell parts for sure $$
Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.7 heads do not go for $1000 anymore. If you can get $700 I would say that is fair(That is assuming it is in nice shape and hasn't been over-decked). As far as the rest of the engine - there is one on ebay right now - might be worth watching it.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a winter car or daily driver? If not, I would fix this on the cheap and keep it. Who cares if your daily is a mismatched and slighly rusted 944 if you have a 951 at home. If you daily drive your 951 you greatly increase your chances of it getting damaged.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 PM
racer
Drifting

If you are prepared for endless "how much to ship to zip code _______", then by all means part it out. If not, then sell it as is. Get "rid" of it as soon as possible if you can't/won't afford to repair it after the accident. Parting a car can be a real headache. Plus, you need a place to efficiently store it and remove components. Can't just leave it on the street I'd guess, especially without plates (at least near me you can't)...

Quick Reply: Feeler: To part or not to part