Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

i would pull the fender, hood, front header panel, and bumper and see what you are up against under teh metal. see how tweaked teh core support is and see if there is any bending or folding where the fender mounts meet the firewall. check the core support for bends and alignment. post pics if you take it apart.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Front frame rails are bent sideways. It is fixable, but not at home. The car will need time on a frame machine to get th front rails straight. Not sure how much that will cost.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M758
Front frame rails are bent sideways. It is fixable, but not at home. The car will need time on a frame machine to get th front rails straight. Not sure how much that will cost.
with that said i would assume its totaled.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

if the front unibody extensions are bent, its still fixable. it can be realigned to Porsche specs using a frame machine. i would not consider that totaled.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Well the insurance company is coming today to look at it so well see what they say. I hope those frame rails aren't bent. If its totaled I'll be very sad. I paid $1000 dollars for that car and have maybe $1000 in it and other than the two rust spots near the rear wheels its a pretty nice car. Doubt I will ever be able to find another this nice for the amount of money they will probably give me if its totaled.

How much would you guys say a 1989 944 N/A with 150,000 miles in almost perfect mechanical condition is worth? Clutch has been replaced very recently, headgasket, timing/balance shaft belts and water pump done? And the more important question would an insurance company know for good customer service value the car same as you?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I hope the insuirance adjuster drives a porsche. He can share your pain and understanding. Right decision to not disassemble until adjuster sees it. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I hope the insuirance adjuster drives a porsche. He can share your pain and understanding. Right decision to not disassemble until adjuster sees it. Good luck.
bet he drives a ford
Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Funn944
Pro

I hate to mention names, but I had PROGRESSIVE. They quoted only on using factory parts, no aftermarket or used. Naturally they totaled it out. I took the payoff, bought it back for $500 from them and fixed it myself. I wound up with a "rebuilt" title, but so what. It was all cosmetic, no structural damage.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 PM
racer
Drifting

Insurance pays by known BOOK numbers.. so unless you are ready to document condition and get some 3rd party considerations, you will be stuck with "book value" or a fight.. so ask the INS co what "book" they use to declare whether its "fixable" or not.

Also, aks them to calculate repair costs using OEM panels. I don't want cheap "chinese" fenders on my 20+ year old car, for instance.

At the very least, do a KBB / NADA search for Trade in and retail prices based on your specs.

And, as Funn944 mentions, you might also consider buying the car back if its "totaled" out.. at least you'd have a starter parts car or a new project to spend time/money on.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Woah woah woah. Wait a minute, its my car why would I be buying it back from anyone? If they decide my car is totaled out I assumed they would give me a check for the money and thats it. If you guys are implying that I somehow have to then pay who? his insurance company? To get my car back that has never left my possession you cant be serious. If thats how it works then thats the most *** backwards thing ever.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by M758
You can tell from the pictures that the frame rail is bent? I looked at the 944 behind the shop and it was darker back there but the left side frame rail is angled in at the end somewhat on that car as well...
Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by racer
Insurance pays by known BOOK numbers.. so unless you are ready to document condition and get some 3rd party considerations, you will be stuck with "book value" or a fight.. so ask the INS co what "book" they use to declare whether its "fixable" or not.

Also, aks them to calculate repair costs using OEM panels. I don't want cheap "chinese" fenders on my 20+ year old car, for instance.

At the very least, do a KBB / NADA search for Trade in and retail prices based on your specs.

And, as Funn944 mentions, you might also consider buying the car back if its "totaled" out.. at least you'd have a starter parts car or a new project to spend time/money on.
Good advise thank you but what do you mean by 3rd party considerations and documenting its condition? My boss, the owner of the business that I took the car to to have it fixed does appraisals for people sometimes. Not sure if you have to be certified or anything to do that but would that help? I do have all my receipts for all repairs I done to the car most of which are recently. I looked at NADA on my phone and I saw $6800 as the average retail price which seemed high to me but I'll have to just wait until tomorrow to hear back if its even totaled and to ask what "book" they use.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Good advise thank you but what do you mean by 3rd party considerations and documenting its condition? My boss, the owner of the business that I took the car to to have it fixed does appraisals for people sometimes. Not sure if you have to be certified or anything to do that but would that help? I do have all my receipts for all repairs I done to the car most of which are recently. I looked at NADA on my phone and I saw $6800 as the average retail price which seemed high to me but I'll have to just wait until tomorrow to hear back if its even totaled and to ask what "book" they use.
Receipts for repairs don't matter much.. Its called "cost of ownership".. You would be expected to have paid to have your car maintained, no? That said, it can't hurt to ask about such reimbursement, but don't hold your breath for it.

Upgrades, can be debated, but you may not receive the $$ "you" paid for them from an INS co. Unless your insurance specifically was adjusted to cover your "improvements", ie, a stated value plan for instance.

Yes, a 3rd party appraiser would help your "value" argument.

You can use the average "retail" price as part of your argument since, if the car is totaled, you need to be able to "afford a like replacement". I would guess they would start with "trade in value" , should they deem it "totaled".

And its been my limited experience if "totaled", you get a check, they take the car, since in essance they are paying you off to have your car. Its up to a seperate negotiation to "buy back" your totaled car.

BUT, we are getting ahead, no? Wait and see what the INS co says. Then make sure its taken to a Porsche knowledgeable body shop for an independent appraisal to fix it.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Woah woah woah. Wait a minute, its my car why would I be buying it back from anyone? If they decide my car is totaled out I assumed they would give me a check for the money and thats it. If you guys are implying that I somehow have to then pay who? his insurance company? To get my car back that has never left my possession you cant be serious. If thats how it works then thats the most *** backwards thing ever.
How is it *** backward? They are paying for your car, why the hell would you get to keep it? If you don't buy it back, they will sell it and make some money for THEIR loss.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If any of you guys have a second car, you should put collectors insurance on your 944. I have State Farm, I get an agreed value, unlimited miles, full glass, AND it covers any parts you have for the vehicle, that are not with the vehicle. Meaning, my basement full of spare parts, are covered under the 944 for loss. I pay NINE dollars a month for the 944....You guys with daily drivers should look into this!

Quick Reply: Crash Damage