Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Crash Damage (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/652045-crash-damage.html)

SirLapsalot 08-28-2011 08:40 PM

Crash Damage

Some clueless irresponsible idiot took me out the other day and I would like to hear from the experts how bad the damage looks. It doesn't look that bad to me but my old boss thinks it might be totaled.

I took some pictures of the engine bay and frame rail on the left side because thats where he hit me and I cant tell if the frame rail is bent. I was hoping someone with an experienced eye might be able to notice if things looked slightly shifted at all around the frame rail in the pics.

The what happened:

Was driving down a busy four lane road approaching an intersection. I was traveling in the right hand lane, there was stopped or very slowed traffic in the left hand lane and apparently someone in the left hand land stopped and signaled the driver who crashed into me to go. The other driver was headed in the opposite direction and attempting to turn into a gas station. Apparently he saw someone stop and wave him through so his dumb ass went without looking and seeing me in the right hand lane. I hit his right front wheel with my left front. I keep beating myself up about not seeing and anticipating the collision because I know better and that street is dangerous because of all the dip**** college students/heavy traffic/poor design. Yes I am a college student as well but like to think I am a responsible, causious and aware driver. Anyway its all shoulda coulda woulda now.

SirLapsalot 08-28-2011 08:41 PM

Attachment 562517

BlackD150 08-28-2011 08:50 PM

I have seen the body parts you need for sale on ebay and pelican, but may cost about three times the value of your car to repair. Doesnt look bent from the pics, mine looks the same in the pics.

BlackD150 08-28-2011 09:10 PM

automotion.com front valance $429. pelican auto parts.com front left fender $1338
nose panel $362
Maybe one of these guys who is parting out a 944 here will sell it cheaper.

F40LM 08-28-2011 09:14 PM

From what I can see...looks like some replacement panels (fender, valance, nose, headlight arm stuff, etc) some patience and a BFH you will be back on the road.

Check around and/or post a WANTED ad here, someone in Ohio has a parts car they would probably rob the parts off of for very little (if someone really in need showed up at my place with a 12pack of heineken needing this stuff they could buy parts for a song).

Good luck and keep us posted.

michael

F40LM 08-28-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlackD150 (Post 8825825)
automotion.com front valance $429. pelican auto parts.com front left fender $1338
nose panel $362
Maybe one of these guys who is parting out a 944 here will sell it cheaper.

Very much cheaper. I can sell you a nose panel for $50 plus shipping.

Seriously check around, its very doable without selling a child to pay for it.:thumbup:

michael

white924s 08-28-2011 09:23 PM

does the hood close? How do the panel gaps look with it closed? That will probably be the best indicator if it's just cosmetic or if you tweaked something structural

SirLapsalot 08-28-2011 09:25 PM

Thanks for the re-assurance. I was assuming I'd go used parts route. Ive never been in an accident like this before so I don't know how his insurance company would handle it, if they will make their estimate based on used parts or new. There is also another 944 rotting behind the shop that actually belongs to the bosses brother so I'm thinking of working some kind of deal with him.

SirLapsalot 08-28-2011 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by white924s (Post 8825846)
does the hood close? How do the panel gaps look with it closed? That will probably be the best indicator if it's just cosmetic or if you tweaked something structural

Hood will close but it crooked as ****. the left side sits very tight and the right side sits up very high, theres maybe a two inch gap on the right front when closed

carlege 08-28-2011 09:33 PM

dosent look that bad

mytrplseven 08-28-2011 10:51 PM

I had the identical car. Breaks my heart to see this. I would pull the nose panel, left fender and lower valance off and see if the hood closes ok or if it still looks like it's bent. Did it get into the radiator cross member? I'd go with the parts that fit after the bent ones are removed. You can assess how deep the damage goes then. A lot of guys here will help where they can so keep us updated on what you find.

xsboost90 08-28-2011 11:00 PM

looks like the core support is bent. Headlights etc are probl fine just need a fender, nose panel and someone to bend the core support back and alight the lights correctly.

SirLapsalot 08-28-2011 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by mytrplseven (Post 8826034)
I had the identical car. Breaks my heart to see this. I would pull the nose panel, left fender and lower valance off and see if the hood closes ok or if it still looks like it's bent. Did it get into the radiator cross member? I'd go with the parts that fit after the bent ones are removed. You can assess how deep the damage goes then. A lot of guys here will help where they can so keep us updated on what you find.

I would love to dive into it myself but since it was not my fault and the other guys insurance company will be coming to look at it I wasn't sure if I needed to leave it how it is. I will definitely get back with updates.

Originally Posted by xsboost90 (Post 8826055)
looks like the core support is bent. Headlights etc are probl fine just need a fender, nose panel and someone to bend the core support back and alight the lights correctly.

I hope the headlights just need aligned but it looked like some of the linkage might be bent. Also i can't remember if the core support was bent, you can tell from one of the pictures? The bumper has definitely been pushed to the right a bunch. You can see in the head on pictures so I assume it will at least need new bumper shocks as well. Oh and I forgot my sunroof was tilted and the force of the impact made one side fall down a bit so when I closed it the gears stripped or broke so thats a major bummer because I was very happy to have a working sunroof. I will make a point to make sure that is covered in the estimate.

V2Rocket 08-28-2011 11:32 PM

fixable.

definitely go used parts, there is no sense going new

Butters944 08-29-2011 01:28 AM

I would definately wait for the insurance to look at it as well... Hopefully they will be able to cover most of the cost. Keep us posted!