Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Receipts for repairs don't matter much.. Its called "cost of ownership".. You would be expected to have paid to have your car maintained, no? That said, it can't hurt to ask about such reimbursement, but don't hold your breath for it.

Upgrades, can be debated, but you may not receive the $$ "you" paid for them from an INS co. Unless your insurance specifically was adjusted to cover your "improvements", ie, a stated value plan for instance.

Yes, a 3rd party appraiser would help your "value" argument.

You can use the average "retail" price as part of your argument since, if the car is totaled, you need to be able to "afford a like replacement". I would guess they would start with "trade in value" , should they deem it "totaled".

And its been my limited experience if "totaled", you get a check, they take the car, since in essance they are paying you off to have your car. Its up to a seperate negotiation to "buy back" your totaled car.

BUT, we are getting ahead, no? Wait and see what the INS co says. Then make sure its taken to a Porsche knowledgeable body shop for an independent appraisal to fix it.
Interesting and yes you are correct we are getting ahead. I'm waiting to see what the insurance company says. And yes the car is at a Porsche knowledgeable shop, the only one in Dayton.

As far as the receipts go I just figured I bought this car then spent $1000-$1500 within the last year and thought for sure I could use that as an arguing point if I needed to because a lot of those things didn't necessarily need done it was just preventative maintenance and I feel that should be treated same as an upgrade if upgrades are considered in a situation like this. What I mean is I could argue that I could go out and buy a 944 for what ever money they give me but it not have all the new preventative maintenance parts I just purchased and installed for the car.

Anyway I'll know much more tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by HICKS
How is it *** backward? They are paying for your car, why the hell would you get to keep it? If you don't buy it back, they will sell it and make some money for THEIR loss.
Its *** backwards because that's exactly what it seems. I was not aware they were buying or paying for my car if they total it I assumed they would just decide the cost to repair is more than the car is worth so they give me the money that its worth and that's it. I don't understand why they get to "buy" it from me.

Someone crashes into me and his insurance company tells me the price to repair my car is more than its worth and has to buy my car from me? Yes that's messed up and seems *** backwards. They should have to just give me the money and that's it, not "buy" my car. I don't want to sell my damn car, someone crashed into me and it should be fixed or paid for.

Obviously I was confused on what totaled meant.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cant get 'cost of ownership'. Example: You buy a car, have it for 10 years. You do a oil change every 3 months, tires, brakes, etc.... Would you add that on top of the value of the car when you try and sell it? So im selling a car worth $3000, but I just did a $30 oil change, and new $500 tires, do I add that on top of the price of the car if its only worth $3000? Its all stuff that ASSUMED with the car. You see it all the time on craigslist. You eat the cost of ownership, sorry.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

They will give you what the car is worth, and they will keep the car. If you want it back, you'll have to buy it back. If they give you $3000, the buy it back will be like $500 and you keep the $2500 for a rough example
Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by HICKS
You cant get 'cost of ownership'. Example: You buy a car, have it for 10 years. You do a oil change every 3 months, tires, brakes, etc.... Would you add that on top of the value of the car when you try and sell it? So im selling a car worth $3000, but I just did a $30 oil change, and new $500 tires, do I add that on top of the price of the car if its only worth $3000? Its all stuff that ASSUMED with the car. You see it all the time on craigslist. You eat the cost of ownership, sorry.
Trying to get my moneys worth from an insurance company and selling a car on craigslist are two completely different things. I would use new tires or new brakes as a selling point but not to add to the price if I was selling on criagslist or anywhere else.

Your not understanding what I'm saying but it doesn't matter I've talked to a couple people who have dealt with many insurance companies with their experience in the automotive repair field and they all asked me, "did you save all your receipts from all that stuff you just did?" So Im trusting their judgment. We shall see. It hopefully will not be totaled anyway
Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
if the front unibody extensions are bent, its still fixable. it can be realigned to Porsche specs using a frame machine. i would not consider that totaled.
It is fixable... it however could be totaled by an insurance company. Remember the value on these cars is very low.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
You can tell from the pictures that the frame rail is bent? I looked at the 944 behind the shop and it was darker back there but the left side frame rail is angled in at the end somewhat on that car as well...
I could be wrong, but this based on the position of the bumper and actual rail. Notice the gap between the reciever/dryer can and the frame rail. Not bent by much if it is, but I would guess it is. It oes appear fixable, but probably for 1500 assuming frame machine costs, used parts and you doing the basic labor. Paint not included. In the world of race cars this sort of stuff happens and if that happened to a 944 spec car I would suggest fixing it as the cost for re-tubbing is alot more.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is totaled, they pay you what value is they determine the car is worth, but they will probably not give you what you think it's worth. THEY GET THE CAR !!! You can agree on a value to buy it back from them. That's how it works. I've been there twice. Both times because some other ***-hat hit me. On one of them all I needed was a right front fender and headlight cover. They only base the repair cost on factory part prices and Porsche qualified labor, which makes the repair cost very high. If the repair cost is above a certain percentage of what they determine the cars value is, it gets totaled. The value of these cars is pretty low while the cost of repairing them, especially body/frame work is pretty high. If you don't have a previous agreed upon value in your policy you're probably screwed, and it's very hard to prove to them a higher value. I've heard of 944's being totaled just because the windshield was smashed.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

So, Ive searched and can't find what I'm looking for...

Is there a such thing as someone mentioned in this thread as a factory spec. book for measuring the straightness of the car, specifically the frame rails? I am competent enough to tear down enough to make my own measurements to decide if the frame rails are bent but if someone already has a good diagram or description of where to measure from and what the specs should be life would be a lot easier.

I have a plan but I would like to wait before disclosing it to make sure the deal goes through that I am in the process of working out because I'd hate to jingx myself or the insurance company change their mind by tomorrow and I get screwed and look like and idiot.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got all the body panels and headlight pieces you need(the front valence isn't mint) parts are black, will go cheaper for them than previously listed

i don't think the frame was bent, all those parts are connected, it just pushed everything body wise over.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Hugh44NAs
Rennlist Member

I had the exact type (but much harder) of hit to my 944 NA earlier this spring. Here is what I did 1. Removed the Bumper, front valance, both fenders. 2. Went to a hardware store and got a 1500lbs come along and hookit up to the bumper struts and a big cement pole. 3. Pulled like heck untill the the cheap come along broke. In my case, the front of my car was bent over 1 1/4 inch and I got most of it back. There is a lot of adjustability in these body parts so it does not need to be perfect. Here is a tip - take the hood latch off the hood first and then determine how far you need to go by closing the hood and comparing it to the fenders.

By the way, you said this car is an 1989 NA which of course makes this thing worth quite a bit to people on this website - with or without dents.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Well 87 944 C thank you for the offer and I will definitely keep you in mind but I won't be looking into parts for a while probably. I don't think the frame rail is bent either but I'd like to make sure since I'll be tearing down anyway.

For those of you interested the insurance company totaled my car. I must say I am pleased with the outcome. They valued my car at $6825! I could not believe it. I am buying it back for $900 and will probably fix in on a very cheep budget myself and keep it as a winter car. I have another car lined up to purchase today and I will get back with pics and more information later.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

So, there's a chance you've made money by getting in that accident?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

Glad to hear that it worked out for the better.

Quick Reply: Crash Damage