Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I made it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 AM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I made it!

So, I finally got my engine and transaxle up and into my 85.5 n/a 944. I was even able (with a very small amount of coaxing) to get in smogged proper and somewhat tuned before I had to pack it full of my life and move from the Bay Area to LA.

She made the journey just fine, and infact got between 29-32 mpg, not including climbing up the grapevine on I5. And that's including being packed to the freaking gills with tools and parts and clothing and computers.

The only problem I had/have is that even though I fixed the heater clip under the driver's side of the dashboard, I'm still getting warm/hot air blowing on me. It also seems that when I'm in traffic, my temp gauge climbs up way high and the engine seems to be threatening to overheat. I just got internet at my new spot, so am about to start searching here for a possible answer, but was thinking it might be my heater control valve.

Would pulling out my thermostat help for right now? I am open to any and all helpful suggestions, keeping in mind I no longer have a full and proper toolset or an actual garage in which to have this thing disassembled for more than a few hours.

Also: LA 944 people, hit me up. I'm looking for friendly drives around what looks like amazing hills. ^____^

Thanks 'listers, for all your help.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Kyle,

Maybe your heater control valve is broken, or more likely, the vacuum tube to it is clogged, broken or disconnected.

The overheating could be a million things. Do you know how old the water pump is? Radiators do clog occasionally. Thermostat might be stuck closed. And, as always, don't trust that gauge!

Good luck
Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Air in the cooling system ?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does the same in Traffic.. Not saying it is normal.. Just that feel your pain.

As for the Hot Air: put the Temp **** all the Way to Cold, then look at the Heater Control Valve which is located at the back of the engine behind the Intake manifold (above the Bell Housing Grounds). The 'lever' should be fully pushed in... but the vacuum diaphragm commonly leaks which leaves the valve open and circulated hot coolant in the cabin...

Pretty Common; i just replaced mine two weeks ago. $20 and about 10 minutes...

Click Here for Pictures and Details!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to L.A. I'm in Porter Ranch (Northridge). There is a Sunday morning car show
(Supercar Sunday) in Woodland Hills, about 15 minutes from Van Nuys. Mine is the only 944 I've seen there, but lots of other cool stuff.
Go early, it's all done by 10:30 / 11:00am. Corner of Erwin and Topanga Canyon Blvd, shopping center parking lot (southeast corner).
I'll be there this week about 8:00am. Red '86 N/A. Not specifically showing my car, I just go to look every other month or so.
Malibu Canyon, and Kanan Road in Agoura are great drives to the beach. They are patrolled pretty good though. If you 're into motorcycles, the Rock Store in the mountains behind Agoura is a cool place for a Sunday morning coffee as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

+1 on air in the cooling system. Bleed that sucka.

Great to see more waterpumpers in SoCal, I'm in Pasadena so, let me know if you need some help or anything.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

+++1 on air in the cooling system. It can be a real PITA to get out, but you gotta, all sorts of problems can arise from leaving it there. Find an Autozone, or equivalent, and rent a "radiator tester" or whatever they call it, but it's just a hand pump with interchangeable radiator/expansion tank caps on it... find the one that fits, and pump it up to about 10-15psi and then crack the bleed screw. Repeat until steady you get a steady stream of coolant. You may have to bleed it, drive it, bleed it several times, but you gotta get that air out. I've always heard that it helps if you have the front of the car higher than the back of the car when bleeding the coolant as well, so, that's what I've always done.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

I think I'm gonna get one of those pressure testers monday and try and do this manually. Hopefully I don't have to do anything as drastic as a full flush. . .

Funn944, I'll see you sunday morning. I'm an 85.5 pearl white n/a 944. (nevermind that my front clip doesn't exactly match. . . )

doabarrelroll, thanks for your offer, and I might just take you up on it.

Arash, I'm sad I was never able to get Appa down to see you and your fleet once she got running, but I'll be back up there sometime soon (hopefully) to pick up more of my stuff from home. I'm going to try to get a whole new set of vacuum lines and connections for the engine, then replace my heater control valve, if need be. I took many of your words to heart and am trying to listen to what the car is telling me as much as possible.

Also: does anyone know where a good local resource for new/used parts is? it seems pick n pull down here is devoid of 944 love, and I can't really get mail where I'm staying now, so shipping is gonna be a PITA.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 PM
elzergone
Pro

I've never seen a pearl white NA, post pics!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:06 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

there are lots of yunkyards down there, i don't know what or where they are, but i know they are around. for new parts, again I'm not the best person to ask but I know 928 international is in LA and they're a rennlist sponsor. If I think of any others I'll let you know...
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fwb42
Air in the cooling system ?
++++1 ismy vote. When I was new to 944s (many moons ago) I oncethought I had a cracked block due to overheating. Turned out I STILL did not have all the &$#% #$@* air out of the thing.

michael
Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Funn944
Pro

PerceptionProblem, see you Sunday. Call me when you get there,check your private messages. I'll be there around 8:30. There is a place in Sun Valley that I've gotten a number of parts from.
There is a really good Porsche shop in Glendale. They did my belts and water pump for me.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 AM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Elzer- I'll post some videos sunday. Show you inside and out. :-)

Quick Reply: I made it!