Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Coming Out Soon - While I'm In There Projects?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Dash Coming Out Soon - While I'm In There Projects?

As the title says the dash is coming out in a few weeks. What other things should I do while I'm in there?

I have ordered most of the plastic clips that are visible from under the dash, heater, evaporator clips, etc. What about any rubber parts or the a/c expansion valve? This is a FL car so most of the rubber and plastic will be brittle or deteriorated. Any electrical solenoids/wiring under there that I should look out for? Thx
Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
RedRose
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dash lighting.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait... Instrumentation lighting? -The "dash" doesn't have to come out for that, just the instrument cluster.

In my car, the main air distribution plenum won't send air to the windshield... The dash would have to come out to do that, but since my dash is perfect, and I'm more likely to mess something up, I'm just living life without defrost...
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by VWaddict
Wait... Instrumentation lighting? -The "dash" doesn't have to come out for that, just the instrument cluster.

In my car, the main air distribution plenum won't send air to the windshield... The dash would have to come out to do that, but since my dash is perfect, and I'm more likely to mess something up, I'm just living life without defrost...
Instrument lights done a while ago. I'll be checking the air ducts and have duct tape to reattach them to the vents. I think some of them have popped off during the years.

How bad is the insulation likely to look around the heater and evaporator cores? I am dreading that it will crumble to powder. Worth spraying some foam in there?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I'll be checking the air ducts and have duct tape to reattach them to the vents. I think some of them have popped off during the years.

How bad is the insulation likely to look around the heater and evaporator cores? I am dreading that it will crumble to powder. Worth spraying some foam in there?
Don't use duct tape. Use at least aluminum tape, or a good automative fabric tape made for the purpose if you can get your hands on it. Duct tape will last maybe a year, tops. And no matter what you use, it's like paint - prep, prep, prep, and clean some more before putting it on. The more prep you do, the longer it will last.

And yeah....it's really likely that you will find all of the insulation crumbled. You don't want to use expanding foam because it hardens. As you drive it will crack (and maybe even squeak/crunch) as components move. Find some high density foam to cut and fit instead.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With the dash out would be a very good time to assess the heating and AC components. Great opportunity to maybe get a non-working AC working again.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aj986s
With the dash out would be a very good time to assess the heating and AC components. Great opportunity to maybe get a non-working AC working again.
My AC works but not blowing cold enough or through all of the vents. I am going to swap out the expansion valve as I think it's original and a pain to get to on an 86 without removing the dash. Will also swap out any seals in there to 134 compatible, I did the conversion some time ago and didn't replace the under dash seals.

What about electrical stuff, there seems to be a lot of solenoids, relays, microswitches under there. Should I just buy a bunch and replace - I don't want to get back in there a few months later. Anyone got a list of parts they replaced when they did the dash?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 152 Posts

I would seriously consider taking all air distribution hoses out and running them through a dishwasher cycle to get rid of 20+ years of dust, etc. as well as cleaning any areas relating to it, such as the evaporator housing. I need to do this, just haven't put together time and energy for how long the car would be down.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The foam around the HVAC doors on my car were in bad shape. I also cleaned a few grounds that were easy to reach with the dash out of the car.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by plumbum
The foam around the HVAC doors on my car were in bad shape. I also cleaned a few grounds that were easy to reach with the dash out of the car.
Yes, I know some of that foam stuff in there is bad, Ive seen it come flying out the vents and found pieces on the floor over the years.

Is there a recommended foam to use or do I just buy any high density foam?

Grounds! Almost forgot, thanks for the reminder. I'm taking the opportunity to also have the windscreen replaced. It has some chips and a small crack. It will be removed and then fitted back after the dash is back in place. So I'll have factory access to everything under the dash

Will post pics and writeup as I'm going along. Just been notified by Rob at 928leathershop that the new dash kit is on it's way!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the dash is pulled you have easy access to the heater flap doors. The doors will have crumbled foam around the edge. I went to Lowe's and bought Felt Door Weather Stripping, cut and shaped it to fit the door flaps for a good seal, "Not too Tight". I added epoxy to the inside edge of the felt as I did not trust the self adhesive to last on the back side of the tape. The rectangular opening for the center air vent also needs weather stripping applied around it. The center dash and both end movable vents have a narrow opening that I filled with a folded thin felt to fit down into and applied regular glue. Now when I close the vents the air is directed where I want it to be. On the Air Handler I replaced all the vacuum lines on the passenger side as these lines actuate the Flap Doors.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-03.htm

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 08-26-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do this while you're there

[I
Old 08-28-2011, 02:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just when I thought I'd done everything to my car... that is a clean looking heater box.

Quick Reply: Dash Coming Out Soon - While I'm In There Projects?