Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feeler: What do you guys think? (924 carrera gt kit)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ernie9468
____Yes nothing like an old bag from the East to knock some reason in that young head.
Reason didn't exactly follow this car from the East coast, so that's a good call, Ernie.

Catalin, I didn't know about the cross members. Apparently, the car I've been dreaming about would need to be based on a 924S.

Having said that, if Eric ends up buying this car and parting it, I want the front fenders with the lights for my Euro conversion 951!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Ronal

If you buy the car and part it, I'm interested in the Ronal wheels. I'm looking for a set on my race car, which originally raced with such wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

OT, but look at the window net on that Rothmans car! It's practically twine! :O
Old 08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh my god. I just came back seeing the car.
What a piece of crap. What a waist of time. I didn't know that a 924 could be in such bad shape.

The guy told me over the phone that it was in pretty good shape, the reason for the 4500$ price. Only a couple little scratches and needed some new drop links.

I got there and first thing I see is that red 924, heavy washed out red colour, paint peeling out from the 4 corners of the car (I'm talking about up to 10in wide paint peelings off the hood, doors, fenders, roof) with rust under, dented pretty much everywhere. A real body restoration nightmare. All 4 Ronal wheels where dented, tires where finished.

But the guy was optimistic, big smile, confident about is car, and so on. So I presented myself.

The inside was old, he changed the seat and they where ok. That steering was just ugly as hell.

Then he started the car, the belts where screaming like hell, and the engine and engine bay and everything in there was rusted. Was pretty rusted. Well, it was entirely rusted. But the guy still add is big smile, confident etc...

So I said ''wow'', this really doesnt look like the car in those pictures on the internet. He told me that those pictures where taken years ago.

So at that point, it was already a no, no... but I told myself I've already lost all this time going there (1 hour driving) and that I should try it to see what a 2L audi engine is.

So I sit in the car and notice that nasty smell, even with all windows open, It really smelled like someone just took a dump in it. So I left, with the belts screaming, almost no clutch, and realizing I had no brakes at the corner of the driveway (the guy left me go alone, he probably told himself ''go kill your self sucker!''.

Wow, when you say no power, I really mean no power. My old 98 1.8L VW golf had twice as much pickup.

In second gear, I only reached 55km/h at full rpm, car shaking like being in a old rollercoaster ride. Took about 8 seconds to do that.

I just imagined going to the track with that car, man I would made people laugh.

So came back with a big smile on my face, and told the guy that I'm wasn't interested (really, I wanted to tell him that he couldn't even pay me to leave with that car, and maybe the junkyard would maybe refuse it : )

He told me no problem, that he wasnt sure if he really wanted to sell it, maybe he would like to restore it one day.

I said good luck.

So driving back, I called my mechanic. My 951 is going in tomorrow for a new head gasket. I will probably do the rest (oil pan gasket, rod bearings, power steering rebuilt) this fall.

End of story.

P.S. What a waist of dreams and time : )
Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cmon was fun well it lasted.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Consider yourself lucky at least you had the chance to drive a Carrera GT replica even though it's a false one. BTW it's not the first time Dimitri is trying to sell a pile of junk.Last time was two years ago with an S2 CAB.Pics that worth a thousand words.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: feeler: What do you guys think? (924 carrera gt kit)