Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap Cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of mileage are you guys pulling now with ls engines?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

not sure if the FAST is worth bothering with if i don't have the heads ported.

then, what engine owners would want a stock LS3 manifold?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Hotshoe

It's about something different.

Just like everyone else has done

VW V10 turbo diesel would something different in a 944

Originally Posted by roman944

I'm all for keeping it Porsche, too bad that there isn't anything V8 from them
Hmmmmm.....18 years of 928 production with V8 in 4.5l, 4.7l, 5.0l and 5.4l

Nearing 9 years of Cayenne production with 4.5l, 4.8l. Turbo and non turbo versions putting out upwards of 550hp stock!!

there is a Cayenne engine, someone was mentioning that they have seen that swapped into a 944 ... but how much more work, and especially money, is that going to cost? now THAT would simply be not worth it ...
Dunno man! My Cayenne turbo friggin rocks! That motor would be way cooler than a chevy V8 in a 944!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:17 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cayenne Turbo engine weight?
You'll have to chop something out to get it in there too. Is the Cayenne-944 actually on the road or was it abandoned?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

No idea on weight. Don't think anyone has weighed one loose from the car. All aluminum though, just like the LSx.

I have taken some basic measurements and it looks like it will fit similarly to the LSX (have to run hydroboost, etc). Dry sump motor!

T engine management is the trick since there is not an easy swap system available like the LSx.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot how ugly the 928 is. Not just ugly, but fugly.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM
xschop
Drifting

I saw a Cayenne motor at a shop a few months back... Those DOHC timing chains themselves weigh a ton
Old 06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by DVC
I forgot how ugly the 928 is. Not just ugly, but fugly.
Love my fugly 928
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by xschop
I saw a Cayenne motor at a shop a few months back... Those DOHC timing chains themselves weigh a ton
Compared to the system on the LSx?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm surprised at Cole's post. surely he knows there's no way any of those engines is going inside a 944 or that there's really any reason to do so. not when you have such an uncomplicated, workhorse chevy engine that will run almost forever if properly cared for.... bad enough the 928 is burdened with that not-so-great engine — and it truly is not very good. if it were, then there'd be a trillion 928s still running the open roads everywhere. when you have an engine of such torque, in such a small car, the effort required to keep it going on the highway is a minimum.... (despite the 928 being a heavy car) it's not carrying an overburdened engine — (like you have in an average wrecker). so, it should, in theory, go for hundreds of thousands of miles with no more issues other than a little oil blowby. a more recent Chevy small block, properly maintained, should by the same token carry a 928 at least 200 k miles with very little effort, thanks to the highway 'GT' 5th gear.

all my P-car friends in massachusetts are 928 owners, and after all i've learned from all of these guys, and other than having a big fat Porsche badge on them, they're just plain not that great engines. and require an enormous maintenance effort.... the thrust bearing failures are concentrated on the cars with automatic transmissions. but i still don't think there's any cause for any great fuss over these engines.

if i had a '69 E-Type, i'd need to be quited wealthy before i'd have anything else under the hood but a good running, LS series engine.

the Cayenne engine is another story. everybody loves 'em. but didn't somebody already attempt this and discovered the engine was also too big, tall, wide, etc ????
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Hotshoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Just like everyone else has done

VW V10 turbo diesel would something different in a 944

Hmmmmm.....18 years of 928 production with V8 in 4.5l, 4.7l, 5.0l and 5.4l

Nearing 9 years of Cayenne production with 4.5l, 4.8l. Turbo and non turbo versions putting out upwards of 550hp stock!!

Dunno man! My Cayenne turbo friggin rocks! That motor would be way cooler than a chevy V8 in a 944!
I didn't mean something LITERALLY different, as in "oooh a 944 with a V8".

I meant that their motivation differs in that they are driven by accomplishing something on their own with their own two hands. It doesn't matter if it's been done before. Whether it's a 944 V8 or not is inconsequential. It's an abstract concept, capice?

I'd like to see a Cayenne engine in there also. I measured one and it won't fit without modifying/rebuilding the shock towers. Chevy, Porsche, Audi Ferrari, you can make anything fit and be stunning. Didn't Millen do a mid engined Hyundai? All you need is money, time, and talent.

Some people just have a problem with conversions because the engine doesn't have "Porsche" on it. It shatters their whole motivation in driving/owning the car in that they don't have the crutch of the brand to prop up their ego. They aren't car guys, they're "marque" guys. I understand their reasoning behind ownership and have no problem with it. Porsche is an automotive legend who blazed a path for others to follow. He was a radical thinker and I think he'd appreciate any well done conversion no matter what the "marque" of the powerplant.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

even if that engine CAN go into a 944, how much is it going to cost, compared to a LSx swap? that was the ONLY reason why I even mentioned them

might be cheaper to get a SR/RB swap done ... LOL
Old 06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by odurandina
I'm surprised at Cole's post. surely he knows there's no way any of those engines is going inside a 944 or that there's really any reason to do so. not when you have such an uncomplicated, workhorse chevy engine that will run almost forever if properly cared for.... bad enough the 928 is burdened with that not-so-great engine — and it truly is not very good. if it were, then there'd be a trillion 928s still running the open roads everywhere. when you have an engine of such torque, in such a small car, the effort required to keep it going on the highway is a minimum.... (despite the 928 being a heavy car) it's not carrying an overburdened engine — (like you have in an average wrecker). so, it should, in theory, go for hundreds of thousands of miles with no more issues other than a little oil blowby. a more recent Chevy small block, properly maintained, should by the same token carry a 928 at least 200 k miles with very little effort, thanks to the highway 'GT' 5th gear.

all my P-car friends in massachusetts are 928 owners, and after all i've learned from all of these guys, and other than having a big fat Porsche badge on them, they're just plain not that great engines. and require an enormous maintenance effort.... the thrust bearing failures are concentrated on the cars with automatic transmissions. but i still don't think there's any cause for any great fuss over these engines.

if i had a '69 E-Type, i'd need to be quited wealthy before i'd have anything else under the hood but a good running, LS series engine.

the Cayenne engine is another story. everybody loves 'em. but didn't somebody already attempt this and discovered the engine was also too big, tall, wide, etc ????

The point was toward Porsche not making a V8 in the quoted post, not that the 928 motor was the ideal candidate oner an LSx.

There are lots of 928 running around with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. The motor will last a long time if cared for, just like any other. There really is not much mechanically different about them from a 944/968 motor.

Originally Posted by Hotshoe

I'd like to see a Cayenne engine in there also. I measured one and it won't fit without modifying/rebuilding the shock towers.

You must be using a different tape measure than me. Mine shows the shock towers as roughly 29" in the area where the Cayenne motor is roughly 26" across!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

Red face

Originally Posted by roman944
even if that engine CAN go into a 944, how much is it going to cost, compared to a LSx swap? that was the ONLY reason why I even mentioned them

might be cheaper to get a SR/RB swap done ... LOL

It would cost more for sure! LSx swaps are in everything and in every junkyard, so it makes them cheaper,
Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 PM
xschop
Drifting

There is no bellhousing to build a TT adapter plate for the Cayenne motor anyways..... End of story.

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap Cost