Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling Rear Hatch Glass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924

ummm, since adding that tall 5th gear, Robert''s got all kinds of top end, and as soon as he puts on the cut Contisportcontact 3 285-35-18s on there, he'll be hitting 175 mph, easy.

Originally Posted by pettybird
That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'd want something that was held on by more than the glass if it was actually going to provide an aerodynamic benefit and therefore could get sheared off or rip out the window.

Why not the 968 Turbo RS wing?

i must have read your mind. i was on the phone not 20 minutes ago telling him the thing would absolutely shatter the glass the first time a 130 mph gust of wind gets on it.... and asking him why not just get the wing from the D9/Benji/Mark catalog. better yet, just pick up a real 968.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Besides the Z06 cam and springs, i opened the nostrils a little hehe....

Old 05-25-2011, 03:59 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been doing a bit of research/studying on aerodynamics recently. One thing I have learned... The more I learn, the more I find out I actually don't know.

There is a reason every single race car goes to the wind tunnel. Past experience, and computer simulation don't even work well enough to replace real world testing. You really have zero chance of just throwing something on your car, and expecting to benefit from it. MUCH more likely (Almost guaranteed) is that you will do harm to your aerodynamic properties, and may even become dangerous at very high speeds (How about some lift at 170mph).

Just some examples... The COT NASCAR car makes ~1/2 of the downforce of the old car. Even with the big splitter, and big rear wing. Its the shape aerodynamic shape of the old car that made the downforce. Most of the benefit of the spiltter, and spoiler on the new car is to balance the car. Not for specific downforce.

The opposite is true in F1. The new "small wing, no diffuser" F1 cars make MORE downforce than the crazy 90's cars, with HUGE wings, and air deflectors. Its all due to the way the air flows under the car. The bottom of the cars accelerate the air so much, that there is thousands of pounds difference in air pressures from the air flowing over the top of the car.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM
xschop
Drifting

I agree, when I installed my Tiburon mirrors, I noticed I got a whistle at about 100-110 mph. Not sure what the flag mirrors did. But on the high speed runs I just turned them in. Also I will weigh the old rubber wing later tonight as it weighs ALOT more than the ABS Cobalt wing which is not very flexible. I guess I won't be drilling the glass, but If I made a 4" x 30" platform to glue onto the rear hatch lower area, you think it would shatter the hatch glass with the pressure spread out?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
xschop normally tempered glasss is "drilled" with a holesaw type device. The most common is a copper drill, almost a tube, and a premixed paste that has carbide suspended in it. The second type is a cabide holesaw that is flooded with coolant as it is cut. Works pretty well and of course there is always risk.
I can tell you absolute certainty, that you cannot drill tempered glass with the above method... it has been tried and tried and tried... and as far as i know, it has never been accomplished on tempered glass. Normal float glass, yes, all the time, but never before tempering.

Here's a video as to why...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/qvRgklsm6so
Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by xschop
Besides the Z06 cam and springs, i opened the nostrils a little hehe....
get a different hose between filter and throttle and you might see some more...that corrugated hose is horrible for air flow
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 PM
xschop
Drifting

It's 4" I.D. tubing and have zero problems from it. If Eric would build a RAM air nose for these, then I'll bite.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any photos of the complete car?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM
xschop
Drifting

The rear wing is the last mod I'll do to the body, then it's off to body shop paint...

Before the Z06 cam install and 951 trans.....NA tranny took a beating daily....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxu2zWFNNyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SALarx6HiTY&NR=1
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a couple posters here don't realize what you've added under the hood.

Isn't it a 5.3 truck engine with LS intake, z06, etc, etc ?

Sounds MEAN.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did the ls430 caliper/boxsterS rotor thing ever work out with the hybrid guys, xschop
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
I've been doing a bit of research/studying on aerodynamics recently. One thing I have learned... The more I learn, the more I find out I actually don't know.

There is a reason every single race car goes to the wind tunnel. Past experience, and computer simulation don't even work well enough to replace real world testing. You really have zero chance of just throwing something on your car, and expecting to benefit from it. MUCH more likely (Almost guaranteed) is that you will do harm to your aerodynamic properties, and may even become dangerous at very high speeds (How about some lift at 170mph).

Just some examples... The COT NASCAR car makes ~1/2 of the downforce of the old car. Even with the big splitter, and big rear wing. Its the shape aerodynamic shape of the old car that made the downforce. Most of the benefit of the spiltter, and spoiler on the new car is to balance the car. Not for specific downforce.

The opposite is true in F1. The new "small wing, no diffuser" F1 cars make MORE downforce than the crazy 90's cars, with HUGE wings, and air deflectors. Its all due to the way the air flows under the car. The bottom of the cars accelerate the air so much, that there is thousands of pounds difference in air pressures from the air flowing over the top of the car.

the 997 GT2-RS splitter makes rather prodigious quantities of downforce.

70 libras at 185 mph....

and guess where one of those is gonna be goin' ?

/
Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 05-25-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

If you want a Cobalt wing on your car, buy a Cobalt. Otherwise look to see what people that know what they are doing use, and then copy that. Hint: There's no-one, that knows what they are doing, attaching wings to glass hatches.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alrighty then, yes that motor will make it scoot. I appologize for the bull**** pic...

Now it makes sense why you want to add chevy parts
Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 PM
xschop
Drifting

Ok. After work I checked the rear hatch area where it would have to be glued to and I put my weight on it and pushed really hard and the glass near the bottom does not flex at all, only the larger rubber hatch seal compresses about 1/8" or so then the rear squats under pressure, no glass busting and I weigh 225 lb.
As for the Lexus Calipers/Boxster S rotors I have over 5k VERY HARD miles on mine and love them.Although I'm running Dual MC's, I rode in Raymon's 951 (factory vac boosted) after he did the swap and that is the best stopping 944/951 I've ever been in, the M030 setup is limp in comparison. He posted a comparo of the 951 pad to the Lexus pad, it tells the story.
No apologies needed, I want to hold the record for # of manufacturers part on a 944 LOL. I have all the major ones and a few small co's including Hyundai.

Quick Reply: Drilling Rear Hatch Glass?