Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling Rear Hatch Glass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011 | 12:55 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Originally Posted by Billy W
Previous owner had a cell phone antenna drilled and mounted to the rear hatch of my old 944. So the glass can be drilled but I do not think I would want to chance it, if you broke the hatch it might cost more than the car.
are you sure it was drilled. Most cell antenna's back in my install days were an inner and outer piece that bonded to the glass and worked off of induction...

I either form, you cannot drill tempered glass. A simple google search will net you lots of results on why you can't
Old 05-25-2011 | 12:56 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by xschop
I'm here for some real tech, so what would be the ideal angle to set the wing at in relation to the parrallel ground?
To do what? Look "cool" or be effective. Most effective is in the garage not the car at all. Any other position would increase drag and provide zero down force. on the Cobolt these wings are for looks only.
Old 05-25-2011 | 12:57 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Billy W
Previous owner had a cell phone antenna drilled and mounted to the rear hatch of my old 944. So the glass can be drilled but I do not think I would want to chance it, if you broke the hatch it might cost more than the car.

The only way that would be possible is if the rear hatch isn't tempered..... which I don't know for sure. It might be built like the windshield, and just dual pane glass.

I promise that tempered glass cannot be drilled.... like I said, backed up with 30 years of real world knowledge.

Originally Posted by M758
To do what? Look "cool" or be effective. Most effective is in the garage not the car at all. Any other position would increase drag and provide zero down force. on the Cobolt these wings are for looks only.
+1

Aerodynamics is something I've been kind of studying recently, just as a hobby. The more you learn about it, the more you learn how much you don't know. Its really not something you can guess at, and get right. That is why every single race car goes through a wind tunnel. Even engineers won't "guess" what might work

Last edited by m73m95; 05-25-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: ]p[
Old 05-25-2011 | 01:00 PM
M758
Race Director

If you must attach some dumb looking rear wing please attach to the body or to the hatch frame. Not to the glass.

Attaching to the body will make it hard to access the rear even if you can get the hatch to open and clear the wing. All the 968 stuff attached to the hatch frame not the glass.
Old 05-25-2011 | 01:07 PM
xschop
Drifting

To do what? Look "cool" or be effective.
Both, as the factory rubber spoiler looks weird after doing the rear smooth bumper converion. Also I won't go over 120mph very often, but my car pushes 170 now and I want a rear spoiler that doesn't flutter like the old rubber one at that speed LOL
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Both, as the factory rubber spoiler looks weird after doing the rear smooth bumper converion. Also I won't go over 120mph very often, but my car pushes 170 now and I want a rear spoiler that doesn't flutter like the old rubber one at that speed LOL
I just don't know what to stay about this post other than.

Have fun....
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:13 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Ok I will bite....what type of 944 do you have. To get that much speed (pushing 170) it would have to be either a hot 951, a LS1 with supercharger, or a NA with ALOT of NOS.

I am still palying around with a fiberglass hatch formed like the rear window that I hope to bolt a carbon fiber wing too, (yes for looks sorry guys, but hey just being honest).

If you push forward on this glass idea my advice......
have a shop drill a spare piece of glass from the junk yard if you can find one willing to do the job; then make a aluminum brace for the underside of the glass to spread the stress load from the wing at speed; and anytime you go more than 75 mph pray pray pray.

Don't think it will work, but will be watching.

Good luck.

michael
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I imagine, if it can be done, it would be done with either a diamond abrasive bit on a dremel or by a blow torch. Certainly regular glass cutting techniques don't work on tempered glass (as someone said).
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:30 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

I'm all for doing whatever you want with your car, whether its a Chevy powerplant or Lexus brakes or whatever, but I'd stick with the factory options or replicas on this one. I didn't care for the 968 RS wing for a long time, but recently it has grown on me. If I need more downforce, that's where I'll go.
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:40 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

xschop normally tempered glasss is "drilled" with a holesaw type device. The most common is a copper drill, almost a tube, and a premixed paste that has carbide suspended in it. The second type is a cabide holesaw that is flooded with coolant as it is cut. Works pretty well and of course there is always risk.
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:42 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Old 05-25-2011 | 02:43 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
The only way that would be possible is if the rear hatch isn't tempered..... which I don't know for sure. It might be built like the windshield, and just dual pane glass.
It's tempered. I guarantee it. I was rear-ended in my old N/A (R.I.P.), the hatch shattered and I was showered with tiny squares of glass. Only tempered glass breaks that way.

I too have a fair amount of experience with glass, and I can say that I've never heard of a way to drill tempered glass, and have been told repeatedly by seasoned vets that you can't even cut it safely. I also know that cutting or drilling curved glass is nearly impossible (it can be done, but it's super super super hard), so even if it wasn't tempered, it would be very hard to do...

the good news is that glass is a super-cooled liquid, and it flows over time, so eventually your hatch will loose it's temper, and probably be much easier to drill. it'll probably only take a few hundred more years.
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:48 PM
Billy W
Racer

Originally Posted by AScholtes
are you sure it was drilled. Most cell antenna's back in my install days were an inner and outer piece that bonded to the glass and worked off of induction...

I either form, you cannot drill tempered glass. A simple google search will net you lots of results on why you can't
Yep it was drilled, I wanted it off the car so I bought a wiper delete plug and filled the hole.
Old 05-25-2011 | 03:15 PM
xschop
Drifting

I had no problem pegging the speedo last week after I installed a 951 trans with the NA 5th gear....I installed a Z06 cam and springs 2 weeks prior

Old 05-25-2011 | 03:19 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Also I won't go over 120mph very often, but my car pushes 170 now and I want a rear spoiler that doesn't flutter like the old rubber one at that speed LOL

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'd want something that was held on by more than the glass if it was actually going to provide an aerodynamic benefit and therefore could get sheared off or rip out the window.

Why not the 968 Turbo RS wing?

Quick Reply: Drilling Rear Hatch Glass?