Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Case of Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free Case of Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil

http://classic.valvoline.com/qrz591d...?rc=1AFFB8A55B

I signed up for it. Not sure if I will use it or not. I have been runing semi syn and it leaks about 3 drips a night. Not sure if this stuff would make it leak more being full syn.

I just thought I would post it here. Not a bad deal.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

thats a really good deal! heck, even if you don't use it right away, you can use it in a pinch if you need to!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM
944hal
Pro

Thanks. I use it exclusively in my 951 track car and was going to buy a case anyway. Curious to see how much spam this will generate. Oh well, $50 bucks is $50 bucks.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:17 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice post!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, just printed my 50 bucks! i use VR-1 religiously so this was a no brainer!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I used VR1 last summer conventional oil. I would like to try the full syn, but I'm worried my engine start to leak more than it does.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I used VR1 last summer conventional oil. I would like to try the full syn, but I'm worried my engine start to leak more than it does.
You have every reason to be worried, a friend of mine tried a full synthetic in his vintage Ducati and this is his experience posted on the motorcycle forum:

Beware of synthetic oil, it can do terrible things to you and your beloved vehicle. It will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action. Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically, dropping your bike on the ground! But that's not all...

Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. It will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and she'll never ride with you again. Synthetic oil coats your sight window and your timing window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak onto the ground overnight and your dog will drink it and die.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam your zippers shut. It will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. It will make it rain during rallies and on weekends. It will lubricate your timing belts causing them to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every six miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots right before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp, and then it voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555. It also dries out your wetclutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your faceshield and make your gloves shrink two sizes night before trackday. Synthetic oil stole your neutral and sold it to the Chinese for $1.25. Synthetic oil will make you grow a tail. Synthetic oil will write long crazy e-mails to your Internet friends and then sign your name at the bottom
Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
You have every reason to be worried, a friend of mine tried a full synthetic in his vintage Ducati and this is his experience posted on the motorcycle forum:

Beware of synthetic oil, it can do terrible things to you and your beloved vehicle. It will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action. Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically, dropping your bike on the ground! But that's not all...

Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. It will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and she'll never ride with you again. Synthetic oil coats your sight window and your timing window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak onto the ground overnight and your dog will drink it and die.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam your zippers shut. It will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. It will make it rain during rallies and on weekends. It will lubricate your timing belts causing them to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every six miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots right before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp, and then it voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555. It also dries out your wetclutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your faceshield and make your gloves shrink two sizes night before trackday. Synthetic oil stole your neutral and sold it to the Chinese for $1.25. Synthetic oil will make you grow a tail. Synthetic oil will write long crazy e-mails to your Internet friends and then sign your name at the bottom
Thats what happens when you ride a 4 stroke.

But I know synthetic oil doesn't create leaks, but it can start to make your car leak more because if there is a leak there it will start to leak more just because it is thinner and more slippery.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Fintro11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Thats what happens when you ride a 4 stroke.

But I know synthetic oil doesn't create leaks, but it can start to make your car leak more because if there is a leak there it will start to leak more just because it is thinner and more slippery.
it is not thinner ... viscosity is viscosity. However some of the older seals are npt compatible with synthetic oil so you have to make sure it's compatible.

usually its just better to keep to the same oil you have been using mixing oil's and oil brands can create trouble >.<
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fintro11
it is not thinner ... viscosity is viscosity. However some of the older seals are npt compatible with synthetic oil so you have to make sure it's compatible. ...
that's a really good point. but how well does viscosity correlate with how quickly it can drip out of the leak? maybe it's true you want to consider their cohesive properties.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI -- O'Reilly's apparently has VR-1 on sale for $17 a case (which is 6 quarts, not 12), have not verified personally. Every forum on the 'net has the coupons posted so get it while you can!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

"Viscosity is viscosity"....or is it....
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

does this need a bump?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the bump, I missed it yesterday! The chump car needs about 12 quarts per race (down from 5 gallons in its first race), the free case helps :O
Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Cool, will give it a try!

Quick Reply: Free Case of Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil