Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tale of 2 Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:47 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tale of 2 Porsches

Well I finally got my 89 N/A I've always wanted. Red on black and the PO really did try to take good car of her. Also came with some extra belts and he'd just put these seats in a few months ago and gave me the old powers seats. They work, along with a box of extra parts and the jack and took kit.

We went about 3 hours away to look at it on a Saturday for a test drive. Well get up there and the alternator had gone out on it and it was kicking the ABS light on too. Drove nice and he said he'd replace the alternator before selling and knock off $100 for us having to make the drive up again whenever it was fixed.

Got a call Sunday, Easter, morning and he'd found one about 65 miles away in St. Louis at O'Rilleys and har replaced it. So my mom let me steal my dad again and we drove up and headed home. Then it decided to back out and break and CV bolts at the tranny on the drivers side about 50 miles from the house in the pouring rain at about 11 at night.

Next day went back with the trailer and finished it's journey home. Left a few days later to pick up my 951 in Dallas. Picked up some CV bolts at VW while I was there so I can drive it until my stage8 ones come in.

Things that were wrong when I bought her:
- A/C compressor broke, he knocked off another 500. Have one on the way
- Not sure yet, but I think the Cap for the amp drains the battery when it sits. He just left the amp power unplugged. Gotta do a little more investigating.
- Seat motors don't work on drivers seat. The 2 motors in the box he gave me are supposed to.
- Has Fuchs which obviuosly aren't the correct offset
- Odometer gear is broken. Going to get a rennbay one.

A few new things I've noticed.
- Today when it was warm the vents didn't always blow but I am unsure if this is a problem or the climate control turning on and off?
- With the short 5th and the exhaust that's on there it's LOUD on the interstate. Going to probably change muffler and tip. Anyone got sugestions for something that's throaty at WOT but moderatly silent at highway speeds.
- Left fog light is out. Hopefully just the bulb but the bumped is a little banged up there where someone has probably hit a parking block or curb.
- Under hard accel and the 1-2 gear change I think the back fender on the right side it rubbing the outside of the tire because those Fuchs stick out farther.
- The little cover on the drivers side lock doesn't slide up and down when the door locks. Need a new one
- Need to try to tack down a sunroof bag. The vinyl thing that was in the back I thought was the bag is actually a bra for it.
- Also the rubber spoiler is starting to seperate from the glass in one spot. What's the best way to fix this?

Future plans:
- 16" club sports waiting for tires at the shop
- Window tint
- Picking up "script" sport seats, matching rear seats and door cards
- This winter, LR 3 piece cm, ultra mounts, and baffled oil pan. Would a turbo 2.5 oil pan and the N/A 2.7 be the same since I have an extra pan.

Follow below to see the 86 951

I bought this a few months ago while I was still in Afghanistan and drove down to Texas this last weekend to get it out of the storage unit it's been in for who knows how long. My original plan was to use it for an LS swap I think I should wait for a later chasis 951 to use and part this out. Plus I've seen a need in the past few days for some of the parts. There was a head w/o valves in it, oil pan, fuel rain and injectors with it. Is the big silver aluminium piece in the last photo the belly pan? It's been a long time and my 89 is missing it. So I am going to keep a few things off this car and start parting it out. I gotta clear out some garage space so I can start this next week hopefully. The only body damage outside of a couple of door dings is the front, right fender. Which sucks cause I'd thought about doing a turbo nose conversion and I wouldn't even need to pain it.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

the turbo has sport seats...they look like they need a recover but they are definately worth more than your average seat !

Good luck and welcome to the family !
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It's nice to be back in one. It's sad that the 89 only cost me 400 more than my 85 did and it had a list of problems.

I forgot in future plans, I would like to get an LSD tranny with a tall 5th.

Last edited by pkt1213; 05-04-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 PM
elzergone
Pro

Nice! You've got a lot to work with there. Definitely hold on to those sport seats. Its funny, the fuch's look surprisingly normal despite the incorrect offset... I'm a little confused.

And this is pretty much completely OT, but I how do you like the sonoran steel lift on your 4runner? I have a 97 5spd I've been wanting to lift.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:38 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

I'll like it a lot better when I get my spindles back from the shop with my manual hubs installed so I can drive it.

I'll get rid of those sport seats. I have those script sport seats coming.

Both the cars also have script door handles. Ones of the parts car will get sold too.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

A little frustrating, I finally got the battery charged and it tested good. I spent all day trying to find the damn keys so I could test things like the lights, different motors and electrical stuff people have been asking about. Whoever took the engine out took the f-ing relays too. So now, when I get back from out of town I'll ahve to pull the ones from my car and put them in and see if that crap works. Is it the DME relay that I have to have to make things come on?

On a side note, I think there might be loose conection to the blower or switch or something. Worked fine a few days and then I was driving it and noticed that it seemed to be going on and off when I hit bumps. Well sure enough that night it stopped blowing and hasn't since. It doesn't seem to have the same symptoms as when the micro switches on the blower speed coils go out (i.e., run in high speed until it stops but I will check that too). Any other common trouble spots?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 517 Posts

tell me more about that cargo net - if it is the factory piece i will buy it from you.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

How would I know if it's a factory piece. I probably wouldn't sell it though. It's actually been a lot more usefull than I thought. Since I don't have a sunroof bag I set it up against the front seats and the net keeps it in place.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM
speedfreek155
Advanced

I would love the sport seats , but I'm in NJ
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Well the parts car is going to the recycler tomorrow. Had to move and I really couldn't just leave it in the garage for my tenants to deal with.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 AM
dgwinup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooooh! Coulda used that hood! LOL

I'm just outside of St. Louis (Illinois metro area).

Darrell
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

well if you can get down there today....

Quick Reply: Tale of 2 Porsches