Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Accident (Pictures) - How bad is this damage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 AM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 951 Accident (Pictures) - How bad is this damage?

I need some expert eyes to weigh in on this. I have wrote a couple posts on my accident and so I won't rehash that here, but below I have included pictures of the damage I took after finally coming to terms with what I did ;-) I would like to get any opinions on how much damage this is and whether its even worth fixing. I got an estimate on it from Raymond Auto Body here in the Twin Cities and they said $11,500, which would obviously be too much, but maybe if I could just get used parts or something and piece it back together it wouldn't be so bad. I should note, the car runs and drives perfectly, and it doesn't appear the main subframe itself was damaged, although its hard to say. Some of the pictures make the intercooler look bent but thats just parallax from the camera lens, the intercooler looks to be in perfect shape, and the hood is great except that small area where the paint was scuffed off. Headlamp motor and linkages all work fine (once I took off the busted headlight).

Any advice will be most greatly appreciated, I love this car and just can't let it go! Thanks!!

This first picture shows the car before I gutted all the broken bits out:

Here is a straight on view after I removed the busted up valence and the busted headlight stuff:

Here is an over the top view taking from two standing positions, then I combined the images together to try to get a sense of the angle differences of the metal from the wreck:

Side View from passengers side:

Side view from driver's side:

This picture worries me a bit, since it shows that the area housing the intercooler definitely was pushed forward about 1/4 to 1/2 inch as a result of the impact. I don't know the ill effects that has all around:

Old 05-02-2011, 01:59 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That'll buff right out.

You need to make really certain that the frame is straight before you invest in new parts.

If you're up for it, I'd recommend you take the fenders and the nose off and check the frame to ensure it's true. Actually, you'd probably be better off having a bodyshop check this for you, to be sure.

Otherwise, looks like it could have been much worse.

On another note, I'd be keen to pick up the trashed bumper from you - looking to make a mould to pull a fibreglass copy from, so I'd fix your one up, and use it as a plug. PM me if you are interested.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:05 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

next time i am in st paul we should just put the drivetrain in my car.

i am no expert but it doesnt look horrible to me. it may never be perfect but if the car has sentimental value i say piece it together if you cag get it done on the cheap. the important thing is that it drives straight and everything is in alignment.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost the same damage on my car.... Yours is a little more though.

The sheet metal in that area really isn't that tough to work with. I'm drilling 800 million spot welds tomorrow to replace the headlight bucket sheet metal, and the intercooler/radiator support.

If you are able to do the work yourself (And you're sentimental, and somehow think your car has earned its life), its not that horrible of job to save your car. If you have to take it to a body shop.... Take the insurance money (Hopefully its insured?) and find another car. Body shop will not do the work cheaply.

Make sure you buy your car back from the insurance after its totaled (it will be), so you can make cash off the part out
Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 AM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by m73m95
Take the insurance money (Hopefully its insured?) and find another car.
[Laughs nervously], yea insurance, that would have been a great idea! I only had liability on it at the time for reasons I can't begin to understand in hindsight...

Ultimately I think it likely I will end up selling the car as-is for a good price to someone on here (or somewhere) who has the ability and desire to fix such things. I don't want a drawn out part-out, but I wanted to get some opinions first. I may also take it to a less "thorough" body shop too for a second estimate. Raymond's is really good but also $$$$.

I went to eBay just now and searched for some of the more important parts (in undamaged condition) and here is what I found going now (all prices are buy it now). Obviously this isn't everything and some of the bigger items have shipping costs, plus it still would require it all being painted:

Turbo Front Header Nose Panel $150
Side Marker Light $30
Turbo Front Bumper Cover $300
Turbo Fender $200
Turn Signal $125
Front Bumper Support Bar $125
Turbo Headlight Bucket Assembly $100
Foglight assembly and bulb $100

That totals only $1130 (~$2000 with shipping) and I always thought if I could fix it for $4000-$5000 I would do it, but that seems tight, since I know other costs are going to add in there. I have always wanted to learn how to do body work, but I don't exactly have a shop-type garage.

Last edited by ron.eddy; 05-02-2011 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Added parts search details
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

maybe part it and keep the valuable stuff for another project. with a fresh tub, as Tim L. did recently.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:59 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

ive got a bumper cover ill sell you...

doesnt look too terrible. pull off the airbox/jboot etc stuff and look at the frame rail; if there is any serious damage the rail will be visibly bent or dimpled.

also check for how the doors open and close, how the sunroof fits, how the hatch closes..
Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ron.eddy
[Laughs nervously], yea insurance, that would have been a great idea! I only had liability on it at the time for reasons I can't begin to understand in hindsight...

Ultimately I think it likely I will end up selling the car as-is for a good price to someone on here (or somewhere) who has the ability and desire to fix such things. I don't want a drawn out part-out, but I wanted to get some opinions first. I may also take it to a less "thorough" body shop too for a second estimate. Raymond's is really good but also $$$$.

I went to eBay just now and searched for some of the more important parts (in undamaged condition) and here is what I found going now (all prices are buy it now). Obviously this isn't everything and some of the bigger items have shipping costs, plus it still would require it all being painted:

Turbo Front Header Nose Panel $150
Side Marker Light $30
Turbo Front Bumper Cover $300
Turbo Fender $200
Turn Signal $125
Front Bumper Support Bar $125
Turbo Headlight Bucket Assembly $100
Foglight assembly and bulb $100

That totals only $1130 (~$2000 with shipping) and I always thought if I could fix it for $4000-$5000 I would do it, but that seems tight, since I know other costs are going to add in there. I have always wanted to learn how to do body work, but I don't exactly have a shop-type garage.
I've got one word for you.

LART!

If you want to fix it, he's got parts. If you want to sell it, he'll part it, so other cars can live on. Your car will go to the greater good!!

Spencer does have a good price on his bumper cover too....
Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well i have a turbo tub, ds fender, hood w/ a good title here. It doesnt look horrible from the pics, may need to weld some new core support pieces in there for the headlight structure though.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Ok, after some encouraging finds on the parted out market I am going to go down the path of fixing this car. First things first I need to find out if the frame is straight, where would you all take it for this? I assume any true auto body repair shop would have the information needed, but perhaps its best to take it to a body shop specializing in imports? Anything special I should make sure they check other than the geometries?

I did a lazy-mans frame assessment by making sure all the body panels have the same size gaps front right to left (they do), the doors open/close normally, the hatch opens/closes normally. The only part that doesn't work perfect is the hood closing, it takes a little more force than it used to, so I'm crossing my fingers the bumper shocks did their job!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Any body shop can give you an idea on how much its going to need pulled. It really doesn't have a "frame", so its just a matter of getting the core support, horns, and fender rails where they need to be. Its not an elegant repair at most shops, and not inexpensive if done correctly.

If you aren't going for show car quality, it shouldn't be that $$. Did it take any kind of hit to the lower suspension bits?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Did it take any kind of hit to the lower suspension bits?
No, no direct impact to any suspension whatsoever, it appears nearly all of the impact was absorbed by the headlight "tray" wall part of the frame as well as the bumper shock (whew), but only a body shop will tell me for sure. I hit the median of the freeway at probably 5-10mph so it wasn't a devastating hit by any means, knock on wood.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

944 Convertible! Nice! Fix her up and drive on!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks like an 86 hardtop to me. Fix it.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

You are both right, the hardtop is the wrecked one and the convertible is the one I am currently driving lol

Quick Reply: 951 Accident (Pictures) - How bad is this damage?