Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Default shifter bushing question

i have an early 85 and the shifter feels a little sloppy. i'm leaning towards the shifter bushings being at fault. i was looking at ordering some from paragon but they list only one. how many should i order and should i order a new shift lever circle clip? when i do this i also plan to order new shift **** leather from 944online and replace everything at once. are there any other parts i may need when going in there to do the bushings?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to try first is to tighten the shifter bolts. This tighten mine up.

Remove the shifter ****/boot, and follow the lever down a couple inches through foam. There is two bolts the hold the shifter to the torque tube. Tighten them a little and your shifter should firm up...

As for parts,, not sure. I was goin to look into this at some point,,, but never did..
Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

i'll try torquing the shifter to spec before i order any bushings. anyone have a link or writeup on replacing the shift ****/boot leather?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:32 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
i have an early 85 and the shifter feels a little sloppy. i'm leaning towards the shifter bushings being at fault. i was looking at ordering some from paragon but they list only one. how many should i order and should i order a new shift lever circle clip? when i do this i also plan to order new shift **** leather from 944online and replace everything at once. are there any other parts i may need when going in there to do the bushings?
My .02 worth......

Remove the shaft and drill out the mount point for it. Place a hardened bolt in it'splace. Go to Ace Hardware and pick up a couple of plastic washers. Bolt it all back together and squirt a little silicone inside the shaft in the process.

My next step.....building the custom shift linkage after I drop the tranny out of the parts car.

michael
Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

i could do that but i want the car to be 100% bone stock with no modifications unless completely necessary. not a terrible alternate idea though.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I went with the Rennbay kit to replace my shift boot. They have a good write up on their site. The only difficult part is getting the shift pattern cap off of the original shifter. I reused the original one and knicked it in a few spots and had to glue one of the feet back on with super glue. But after I reinstalled it, it looks fine. Just takes a lot of patience and don't rush it. I was able to get it out while my hand was in a cast, so it should be easier for you lol

http://www.rennbay.com/shiftboottutorial.html
Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
i could do that but i want the car to be 100% bone stock with no modifications unless completely necessary. not a terrible alternate idea though.
Do yourselve a favor & buy a new shift lever(477-711-205d-M260) & a ball cup shift bushing (944-424-231-01-M7370) and be done with it ,nothing like keeping things as they are ,will save you a lot of trouble,also it's migth be a good idea to check your shift linkage on top of your transaxle to make sure everything is snug back there.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:18 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with ernie. Keep the car stock and get a new shift lever if yours is worn.

I have done a couple "Drill & tap" (or cut and weld) suggested by F40LM and they lasted a short while. You can also buy a couple of plastic spacers for the shift lever pin to fill in the slack. Both never felt like new.

ALSO,

If you have worn the hole in the shift rod caused by the shift lever pin, you can fix it with a shim.
Post #10

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...some-vids.html

Do at your own risk.

GL
John
Old 04-30-2011, 11:07 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

what i want to do is keep the car 100% bone stock, just as it left the factory. i have a deep appreciation for the 944 and i love factory restored cars and feel that the 944 was a world class car when it left the factory.

with all that said, i think i will pull the shifter assembly apart and check for any signs of wear and replace all applicable parts. i'll post pics of the process as well. the 944 is something new to me and i may be seeking some advice as i continue to restore this fine car. i really appreciate all of the advice!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

i was thinking about getting a rennbay replacement shift boot and was also wondering if anyone here has used them and if they were of good quality and fitment. any input would be very much appreciated!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

I got a replacement shift boot off ebay, forgot the seller, but came from UK. They can do different colours or material (leather or alcantra). Reasonably priced too and arrived quickly.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F40LM
My .02 worth......

Remove the shaft and drill out the mount point for it. Place a hardened bolt in it'splace. Go to Ace Hardware and pick up a couple of plastic washers. Bolt it all back together and squirt a little silicone inside the shaft in the process.

My next step.....building the custom shift linkage after I drop the tranny out of the parts car.

michael
This is pretty much what I did.... however.....

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
I went with the Rennbay kit to replace my shift boot. They have a good write up on their site. The only difficult part is getting the shift pattern cap off of the original shifter. I reused the original one and knicked it in a few spots and had to glue one of the feet back on with super glue. But after I reinstalled it, it looks fine. Just takes a lot of patience and don't rush it. I was able to get it out while my hand was in a cast, so it should be easier for you lol

http://www.rennbay.com/shiftboottutorial.html
Thinking about it now, the best solution is to just buy a new lever. They're cheap, and the original lasted 100k miles... The new one "should" too (If its not a chinese knockoff).
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I replaced the plastic bushing and inspected the level under the shift boot on my n/a today - all was well (lever looks almost new), still has some play but it was a bit better than before - guess its from the rear? If nothing is obviously loose in the rear what else "wears out"?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:09 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I replaced the plastic bushing and inspected the level under the shift boot on my n/a today - all was well (lever looks almost new), still has some play but it was a bit better than before - guess its from the rear? If nothing is obviously loose in the rear what else "wears out"?
Intermediate Shift Lever.

Recent past discussion:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...some-vids.html

GL
John
Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

makes me almost want to order a new o.e. replacement shifter kit and an intermediate shaft lever, a new articulated arm.. but i'll check the torque on each bolt and torque to spec and check for wear at each lever and bushing point before getting too ahead of myself..

Quick Reply: shifter bushing question