Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild Parts list

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
jensend3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild Parts list

Does anybody have the part numbers for a rebuild on a 1986 944 turbo. I want to try and by the parts separately through a local shop as opposed to buy a kit online. Otherwise I was thinking of either vertex auto or LR. What do you guys think as far as a kit vs individual parts for this car.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:30 AM
jensend3
Advanced

anybody?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't you just see what comes with the kit, and then search for each part individually?

p.s. Do you go to the Carlisle Import Show? I have been there the last 3 years; never with my 944 though...
Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of a local shop that would cut you as good of a deal as online vendors.

check:

zim's
rock auto
partsgeek
vertex
pelican
etc.

You're looking at a head gasket set, oil pan set, front engine seals, bearings, rings, etc. how far are you going to take it apart?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Rebuild... what, exactly? Hard parts like pistons and rods? Or softer parts like bearings, seals and bushings?

I just went through a reseal on my motor (along with rod bearings) though I did it over multiple orders so I don't have a simple complete list. My orders were spread around over Pelican, Lindsey, Zim's, and Paragon - though the bulk of stuff came from Lindsey or Pelican. Both of their sites are searchable by Porsche P/N so it made it easy to find what I was looking for. Zims is really good for some of the bigger accessory items like water pumps, etc.

I *do* have a local parts place here in the far NW burbs of Chicago that stocks parts for european cars. Their prices, usually, are right in line or a few bucks higher than Pelican... which, once you factor in shipping, makes them about equal. So it's worth at least checking out your local place if you have one. I generally hit them up if I'm really in a hurry for something. Otherwise I just go online.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Kits are probably the way to go. It includes everything you'll need for a long block rebuild. Depending on if you are doing a COMPLETE rebuild (rings, rod bearings, etc.) the kit is excellent. Depending on other things like temp sensors and the occasional gasket, you may need to purchase these things after the fact if you get to a point in which you are missing somehting.

I did this and I started dividing things into components like, cooling systems parts, turbocharger parts, vacuum system parts, etc. I GUARANTEE you'll find stuff that needs to be replaced that you were NOT anticipating. So, my advice is, just go with the flow and don't rush. If you need to wait a while for additional parts, wait. You don't want to have to go in there again for something trivial like a seal or something.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be a good idea to replace all of the coolant hoses. If they're the original ones they might want to leak once you put them back on, at least that what they always do for me. It's not crucial since it wouldn't be that hard to do afterwards but it would be a good idea since this is the easiest time.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
aben8057
Drifting

I just rebuilt my 86 951 engine and found that the kits had the best deals. I bought the following and added some links for your reference:

-REINZ headgasket kit
-RIENZ engine block gasket kit
-rod bearings/piston rings/bolts/
-all seals for turbo oil lines
-LR oil baffle kit
-head cleaning and resurfacing

There may be some other seals which have to be bought separately which don't come to mind but the kits are the way to go. You can also order the complete kit from LR: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/ERK944TURBO.html

My 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Rebuild Parts list