Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt here i come

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Camsti
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Timing Belt here i come

Hey guys my buddy and i are going to replace the timing belt on my 84 and just go by clarks garage instructions.

Is this all i need? And do i need a torque wrench for this job?

http://www.rennbay.com/timing-belt-r...all-p-152.html

http://www.rennbay.com/944-timing-be...b2dca9d8476111
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
St3mpy
Instructor

You shouldn't have any problem doing it. It's actually very easy to do, there's just a lot of hype around it. That said, yes a torque wrench is a MUST when working with aluminum engines. It is very easy to strip aluminum threads.

Edit: Truthfully you don't even need the wrench, a pair of needle nose vice grips works fine. You could use that money on a good torque wrench and be in a better position.

Last edited by St3mpy; 03-27-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added stuff.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:33 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just the belt? or water pump too? for pump i would highly recommend a torq wrench. those bolts are pretty easy to strip.

for timing belt only....i don't see why u 'd need one.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

torque wrench needed to set the rollers and tensioners to the right setting, 33 ftlbs.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

... and if you're going to do the WP, are you going to upgrade to turbo-style? and don't forget the thermostat... See how these things snowball!?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

and why don't you have a torque wrench? just go buy one.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

you actually won't need the "944 Timing Belt Adjustment Wrench" in your second link. But you will definitely need a pin spanner or a substitute such as a a pair of 90-degree bent nose pliers. Get a flywheel lock. also maker sure to get 4ft of leverage on the crank pulley bolt...it can be ridiculous. there are a lot of small things you need to do just right, so i highly recommend some great videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqc0mm-7ukY
(see parts 2 and 3 as well)

good luck...its crazy fun.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 AM
Camsti
Instructor

Yea i already have an electronic torque wrench, i just ordered the kit.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
... so i highly recommend some great videos.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 AM
kingston944
Racer

Oh not great but excellent videos. Thanks again Van you are the man .
Old 03-28-2011, 10:33 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Yeah I will be doing my timing belt soon, were it not for Van's videos I wouldn't even consider doing it myself without a experienced helper.

michael
Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM
St3mpy
Instructor

If you're not doing the waterpump, then you don't even have to mess with the harmonic balancer.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by St3mpy
If you're not doing the waterpump, then you don't even have to mess with the harmonic balancer.
84 Doesnt have balanced pulleys, The only balancer pulley set I am aware of is on the 944 S2. (968 eliminated the pulley by using the dual mass flywheel)

The crank pulleys coming off make it easier to remove the timing belt, however not necessary for TB removal / replacement.

TB/WP replacement is one of those tasks that make many 944 owners cringe, but once you have done it (or seen it done) is nowhere as intimidating as it first appears!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Barry Lenoble
Instructor

Default changing timing belts

Originally Posted by St3mpy
You shouldn't have any problem doing it. It's actually very easy to do, there's just a lot of hype around it.
Hello,

Well, I certainly would not describe a timing belt change as 'very easy to do.' It's not rocket science, but there are many things that can go wrong. I would state that changing the oil and filter is 'very easy.' Changing brake pads on a 944 turbo is very easy. Changing the timing belt (and balance belt, I hope you are doing both) is certainly not easy.

If you haven't done this before, there are a few potential trouble areas:
-Do you plan on using a fly wheel lock so the engine doesn't move? Personally, I don't do that. I rely on the clutch and transmission to keep the flywheel from moving. If you do want to use the flywheel lock you need to remove the starter. That can be a real PITA
-Have you ever set the engine to TDC? You can get it close with marks on the cam pulley. However, you need to see the reference mark on the flywheel to be sure you have the engine set properly. It's a huge PITA to see the mark. You need to lay on top of the engine and look through a rats next of wires to see the flywheel. And if you don't know what you are looking for, you can easily spend 30 minutes trying to find the mark. This is while someone is under the car turning the engine with the crank bolt.
-Do you plan on removing the crank pulley? If so you NEED to use the flywheel lock. If not (and I don't) it's a real PITA to get the new belt between the pulley and the engine block. You need to twist and pull and sort of fish it into position.
-Since you have an 84 you don't have the automatic tensioner. That makes removing and replacing the belt easier, but it makes tensioning the belt more difficult. Do you have (and know how to use) the tensioning tool? If not, I would not do this job myself.
-Are you going to check all the rollers while you're in there? I had an 87 944 with lots of miles on it (130+k). I bought it b/c the timing belt broke and the owner just wanted it gone. I changed the head and it ran great. I drove it for 2 years and then the lower timing belt roller exploded. That wiped out the head again. Anyway, I would look real close at all the rollers for signs of fatigue, etc.
-Lastly, if you have removed all the bolts, and something doesn't want to come off, look again to make sure you got ALL the bolts out. Porsche loves to use lots and lots of fasteners, and in real hard-to-see spots.

Oh yeah, it takes me around 5 hours to do a timing and balance belt job. I'm not particularly quick, but I do have a lift and airtools.

Good luck,
Barry
Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

i agree fully with Barry. it's not easy. if it was, it wouldn't be so much fun.
it requires persistence, patience, and carefulness. it may be a challenge, and it may test your will. but a little common sense and the right tools will get you through the job no problem.

Oh, and for reference, I just finished getting to my water pump (changed all belts and rollers and idlers of course). I had never done a job near this big because before this i had only done some fairly minor work on a honda crx!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt here i come