Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning bodywork and high end painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Cosmatics951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Learning bodywork and high end painting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I was wondering if any of the guru's could help me figure out the best way to learn about bodywork and painting. My goal is to be able to get my car panels prep'd perfectly, and either given to my local shop to blast paint, or rig up a spray booth in my house.

I've always been fascinated with bodywork and the voodoo art behind it. I'm willing to invest money in the proper equipment and setup. Can anyone point me in the right direction, I know the basics of strip, bondo, sand, prime, and paint. I'd like to know the particulars of these steps, and advanced moves like wet sanding, polishing, etc.

I'm a chef by trade, and in our industry its normal to volunteer for a a month or so in a high end kitchen to learn how other people do it, interning if you will. Is this a practice in bodyshops?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:45 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

hands on sugar, find a car maybe a beater and try and paint it... do a bunch of research and watch vids and if you know someone who paints get them to teach you.

I've painted cars and it's not really hard its mainly taking your time and learning the proper technique.

If your doing it at home get a large compressor tank with a good hp motor... atleast 30 gallons with a 5hp motor, thats for a small car... 60 or 80 gallon is idle but you need a 220-240v... Also get a hlvp spray gun, Devilbliss finish line is great.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried to do the same thing you are. Here is what I have found...

Other than the "basic" stuff that you can pick up in any book, magazine, or forum (There are a couple very good car painting forums), painting is an art. Everyone has their own tricks, and techniques. I've gone to a few high end paint shops here in Vegas, and talked to my uncle who paints show cars in Hawaii (He's had ~12-15 cars on magazine covers), and they all give different information. Sanding, cutting, buffing, spraying pattern and techniques....they all do what works best for them, and I assume, the paint products they are using.

I've painted a few cars with what I've learned. I get a good finish, but the difference is how much work it takes to get that finish. A professional painter can usually get a perfect finish (Or very close) without cutting and buffing. Paint/bake/out the door. Where with me, it took a few days of cutting and buffing to get the same look (And I'm sure much thinner paint after it was over).

I think the best advise is to get a book to learn the basics. Go talk to a few painters for their opinion and to get ideas. Then, try it. Since its an art, you only get better through experience, and I think in the end, some people "have it", and some don't.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:14 PM
adwolfe12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I painted my miata last spring I spent a lot of time reading the interwebz and watching people explain tricks and techniques on youtube.

And as Cyclone said make sure you have a good compressor that can keep up with you spraying.

Prep work, prep work, prep work and more prep work!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

People on this forum are not going to be able to teach you how to paint! Ha Ha

If you’re willing to buy tools, you might as well spend a few dollars on a Car Painting book. This will tell you what tools you need, how to prep your workshop, how to prep you car, how to paint your car, and how to finish your car.

An amateur can get a great looking paint job with the right tools and knowledge... It will just take many more hours than a professional. Like anything experience makes you better.

90% of painting a car is Prep and finishing... Painting is simply being smooth and consistent. In the industry there are $400 paint jobs and $10,000 paint jobs, the biggest difference is the amount of time spent Prepping and Finishing..

I say do it! If your paint job sucks now, you won't make it worse!!

Ventilation and Protective Clothing are extremely important for both your Health and the Paint Job itself...

Good Luck!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Cosmatics951
Racer

Great ideas thanks for your input. I'm going to head to the library and see what I can dreg up.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Also if you want cheap good quality paint, check out paintforcars.com... Very easy to use especially for new painters and the quality is very very good. Also you can get urethane single for 75 bucks and 2 stage (base/clear) for 175. Of course the color choices are limited but for the price and learning curve its worth it.

I'm thinking about painting my 951 the tangerine twist orange from that site.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read books, read forums, youtube and even took a votech class at night. This summer I ventured out to paint my fenders, hood, doors and its something I can be proud of. I am not going to win a concours but it was a great experience and would encourage you to give it a try.

I had a 30 gallon compressor so off to harbour freight I went and purchased a 2-gun HVLP system. In addition, I made sure to buy all the in-line water filters to prevent condensation from getting in the line. I used a single stage urethane system from PPG paint called Shopline which they matched to my color code.

In echoing some of the others...preparation is key.

FYI...Middlesex County Vo tech starts on March 23rd (Auto Body & Collision Repair) and you can probably use their tools.
http://www.ssreg.com/middlesexvotech...asp?catID=2508

Quick Reply: Learning bodywork and high end painting