Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amp recommendation

I am looking for an amp for my 8" JBL sub.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crunch-P11...ifier/13282448

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Infinity-3...F311A/14935215

BTW I have a $100 giftcard to wal mart thats why these amps are even in the running.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

infinity>crunch
class d>2 channel

edit: but both are just extra weight in these cars
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Reimu
Drifting

both are too heavy
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

rockford amps are a good value.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

They're a little more pricey, but I really like JL Audio amps. I had a JL 250/1 driving a 10" IDQ sub in my Audi, and it sounded great

I also really like JBL amps. I actually have a JBL P180.2 2 channel amp that I'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price. PM me if you'd like more specs on the amp. It has very clear, strong punch, and it worked great with subs (I used it for 2 10" subs before I went to the single sub setup with the JL amp)
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

JL +1 or even an RF but if a customer came to me(when I had my car audio business) with either of the amps you are looking at, I wouldn't fit them. All I can suggest is aim higher. If that is as good as Walmart have, then I would use gift card for something else, and get amp else where. A good amp will last for years and be happy to work hard all day, everyday, but a cheap amp will have little real world power, and won't last. They also tend to have noise and distort if you look at them wrong way.

There so many good brands but my picks would be Alpine, JL, Phoenix gold, or any other known good quality brand. It is going into a Porsche after all but even if it was a Hyundai, do it once, do it right.

peace
Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I was leaning more towards the infinity amp. I used to have a MTX amp that just wouldn't quit working. It was completely submerged in water and still worked after that. I may look elsewhere for an amp.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a mrpm500 alpine amp in my car and I have been really happy.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

I too have a MTX amp, and it was a real trooper. I have since changed from my 2ch to a Sony 4/3/2 amp so I could run a small sub.
Sounds fine...I'm not too worried about minor sound quality..Its in a cabriolet afterall.

I wouldn't go too overboard on a serious amp. You are only driving a single small sub, and even stock, these cars are not all that quiet..ever see the sound deadening in a Lincoln?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
I wouldn't go too overboard on a serious amp. You are only driving a single small sub, and even stock, these cars are not all that quiet...

what? not build a 5,000 dollar system for a 3,500 dollar car? (sigh) JL Audo = just take my money i'm so f_cking stupid..... your post is spot on... but if we're talking the good stuff, why not go for it; Brax, Sinfoni, Celestra, Steg, Audison, Arc Audio, Mac, Linear Power, Genesis and TRU Technology... (the real high end **** that will impress your friends). i used to hate all the low-fi, Rockford crap. not anymore. for the $$$ it will kick your ***.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odurandina
what? not build a 5,000 dollar system for a 3,500 dollar car? (sigh) JL Audo = just take my money i'm so f_cking stupid..... your post is spot on... but if we're talking the good stuff, why not go for it; Brax, Sinfoni, Celestra, Steg, Audison, Arc Audio, Mac, Linear Power, Genesis and TRU Technology... (the real high end **** that will impress your friends). i used to hate all the low-fi, Rockford crap. not anymore. for the $$$ it will kick your ***.

I guess some ppl just see things differently. I put an awesome system in my old $1200 car, as that was only way I could live with it. If you have great tunes who cares what the car is worth. I didn't buy it for the car to listen to, I bought it for me to listen to, so cost of car isn't relevant. Would you buy a cheap uncomfortable bed because you didn't live in the best neighbourhood ?

If you buy high end brands just to impress your mates, and not for the love of music then that's your issue. Very few of my mates would even know what those brands were. They do know what good tunes sound like from listening to them though.

Anyway my point isn't about putting uber high end gear in OPs car, just avoiding the junk. If you think JL are over priced then I'm kinda suprised you own a Porsche *shrugs* maybe a hyundai will kick as much *** for the $$$s by your logic.

I have never understood the whole *it sounds good for $$$* thing anyway as for me things either sound good or they don't.

/rant
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
I have never understood the whole *it sounds good for $$$* thing anyway as for me things either sound good or they don't.
/rant
I know what you mean. If it doesn't sound good to you, then who cares, but if it does sound good to you, then who cares how cheap it is.

I always get a chuckle out of guys hooking up an Ipod to a kick *** stereo to listen to compressed mp3's downloaded from napster/kazaa (insert name of bootleg download site) Though if you can't tell the difference in sound, then a cheaper stereo will likely sound just fine to you.

As for sounding good for the money? People will normally be satisfied with "good enough" for the money. Ie spend enough for it to sound good to YOU.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I am in the process of trying to finish off my system. I have always been impressed with infinity speakers. Thats my opinion. I have alpines in the front of the porsche, but there isn't enough bass. I just need some more midrange and low end. That is where the 8" JBL comes into play. I'm going with a KLA box as I don't want to loose cargo space. This is not a blaring competition system. I just want it to sound good. I thought that infinity amp looked decent, but I am trying to get an alpine amp now. I just don't get anything from walmart and i have this giftcard.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

I am about to fit an old alpine amp to my car that I had in another car. If you get even a basic alpine you will have it for years

peace
Old 02-25-2011, 12:56 AM
blackwolf
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

86 951 Driver, if you have the JBL GTO804, be aware that this driver does not fit in the KLA enclosure without an extreme bit of coercing. In one of my 84 NA cars, when it belonged to a buddy of mine, my buddy went this route. The sub does not fit the KLA enclosure due to the basket on the sub (which is one of the largest you’ll ever see for an 8” driver) conflicting with the enclosure wall. The shape of the box is kinda trapezoidal in nature. No two sides are parallel, except maybe the top and bottom. I don’t remember for sure

My friend “made” it fit with a lot of grinding and chipping away of the MDF wall. So much so, that it compromised the integrity of the enclosure. I tried to convince him to reinforce the enclosure wall with some external bracing, but he never did.

That being said, the KLA enclosure held up as long as he drove the car. He rear ended somebody and quit driving the car. When I got it, my bud took the sub with him.

Anyway, my point is that you will likely run into the same problem unless KLA has reconfigured the enclosure dimensions from 4 years ago.

And for what it’s worth, that sub is a great little driver and sounded excellent in the car. I’m sure you will be pleased with it based on what comments you’ve made about what you’re looking for. Regarding your amp selection, since you’re obviously not planning a full-on SQ or SPL system, the Infinity will do you just fine. Driving down the road in one of these cars you will not notice the difference.

Quick Reply: Amp recommendation