Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excessive brake noise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default excessive brake noise...

I just replaced my pads with new mintex pads from pelican.
Not only are they loud while braking, but they even squeal when im not hitting the brakes at all. should i have applied some sort of grease to the back of the pads?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
DHC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always add some silicone brake grease to the back of my pads (at least the ones that don't come with shims). It also sounds like your pads maybe dragging, did you rebuild your calipers? Your pads shouldn't be in contact when your not on the brakes. I also when you changed your pads did you fully compress the pistons back into the caliper? That could also be a source of the noise when your not on the brakes.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Yes it sounds like the pads are still slightly on the calipers while moving.
I didn't rebuild the calipers, just replcaed pads. So, if I take them out and apply grease to the back side, I should put the inner pads in last, to make sure the piston stays in the caliper?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had some squeaky brakes (stock pagid pads) and when I pulled my calipers for stripping/painting I replaced with a new set of Carbotech 1521 pads all around (and new RS 683 fluid).

I used some synthetic grease I bought at Autozone - slathered the back of all the pads and stuck them in - no particular order. Been quiet as a mouse ever since.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

all right, guess ill grease it up, soon as i get a day off....
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

If you are going to go through the trouble of gettng back in there, I suggest making sure everything is nice and clean. Pins/sliders, and make sure the piston face and seal are clean/free of dirt and grime. Simple and only takes a few minutes.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

^^will do. just picked up some "synthetic brake and caliper grease", so i guess this will do the trick.

couple things i should mention. this was my first brake job, i noticed that while i was replacing the pads and moving the caliper back and foreward to get the pads to slide in, the caliper would sometimes come in contact with the rotor... but im pretty sure it wasnt touching once everything was in place. is this normal? ive never removed the calipers and everything was pretty tight.

and one of the pins was slightly bent, dont know how that happened. it was straight enough to easliy slide in and out but i guess that could also be the problem.

but none of this is a big concern anymore since my starter just stopped engaging......life
Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha - it's always something...

Yeah, obviously the caliper shouldn't move and certainly shouldn't come in contact with the rotor. The bolts that hold them on are easy to get to - crank on them a little and make sure everythings tight. I don't know if there's a specific torque to them - I just get them "tight".

What pin are you referring to?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

the pins that go through the caliper and pads to hold the pads in place.

Quick Reply: excessive brake noise...