Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RB26 or 2JZ in a 944? Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012 | 03:56 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

hehe, i crew for a '77 924 with a 12A bridgeport. it was built with secondhand parts and has completed 3 yrs of road rally events with www.targa.co.nz and it has not required any unscheduled servicing. Its very reliable now the conversion has been nutted out, making for pretty dull weekends for us service crew guys. It sits very low and very far back handles excellent.
A non-turbo 12A keeps him in the classic class or else he would have changed to a 13B turbo long ago. Its still a quick, light car and he catches 944S2's, 944 turbos and older 911's if he has a good stage.

first crank

Last edited by J1NX3D; 10-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2012 | 04:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
I get what you are all saying. All valid points. If any of you have thouroughly researched the cost of another 100hp from an NA, you would come to the conclusion that it is not cost effective. For 10K, i could do somthing unique. I want another 100hp and a different engine seems to be the better idea. I really dont care where the engine comes from or what type it is....I built my 944 to fit me and want to keep it. Besides, who wouldnt want to do a track day and pull away from a few 911's??
Swap in a 968 motor, play with the exhaust a bit and chip it, you'll see 250HP and be in ~$4000 overall...
Old 10-18-2012 | 05:21 PM
EMPmotorsport
Intermediate

As for buying a motor outside the states. Rb/sr ect These motors are purchasable in the united states. As for The EPA comment these engines have been approved by the EPA as the r32 r33 are importable. The rb series engines give these cars a amazing power band. Our rb26 944 550whp kit "which is the primary single turbo swap kit" has dominated agianst every ls1 944 it has been put up agianst we have performed 12 rb26 swaps so far and 6 of them were converting from the ls. The 944 gear box works wonders with the rb series engine especially with a well built motor. The sr isn't as impressive but still responds well. These series of engines have plenty of part availability in the states. Once agian it just comes down to personal choice. We are not turning 944's in to supras skylines or rx7s. If u look at it that way, people have been turning 944s in to corvettes for the last 20years, We are simply replacing the factory expensive to modify dog of a motor these cars came with. Emphasis Motorsport.

Last edited by EMPmotorsport; 10-18-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Spelling repair
Old 10-18-2012 | 05:23 PM
EMPmotorsport
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
not to mention the part about violating federal law as the RB was never EPA-certified..
These engines are currently runnin on us hiways legally. This happend when the first skyline was imported and regestered in California non the less. Gentlemen please do you homework before you make comments that have no gravity. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012 | 05:31 PM
EMPmotorsport
Intermediate

By the way our rb kit cost complete with motor, single turbo upgrade, intake manifold, exhaust to connect to factory, Intercooler, all connections and bellhousing clutch every thing u need to bolt it in and start it is 9,299.99 complete swap ready to install. "We are working on making the a/c system operational it shouldn't increase the price much as we are designing for factory a/c controls ." That's everything. It takes aprox 15hours to install. Everything is plug and play. You even get to keep your factory brakes and brake booster. We do sell the peices individually as well. Emphasismotorsport 5055630169

Last edited by EMPmotorsport; 10-18-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Add
Old 10-18-2012 | 06:01 PM
Reimu
Drifting

I want to see some videos and pics of these RB cars
Old 10-18-2012 | 06:16 PM
EMPmotorsport
Intermediate

We have been in the middle of remodeling our shop for the new dyno. I'm currently using my phone for Internet use as soon as we move back in to the shop we will post videos
Old 10-18-2012 | 07:01 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Nice to see something different. Does the motor really sit up that high, or was that just a test-fit? O_o

I'm going to throw in my .02 just because i can:
(Re: MPG versus an LS) My cammed and poorly tuned LS1 gets 23mpg in town. How much better is it going to get?
Also, the turbo transaxle on these cars is only rated to ~450rwhp, so i don't see the point of a big turbo, or an RB. You can get 450rwhp out of the stock turbo engines in these cars, so why go through all the work?

I still think it's neat, and i'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings about it--but sometimes someone needs to play devil's advocate.
Old 10-18-2012 | 08:10 PM
EMPmotorsport
Intermediate

On the rb26. It sits low in the engine bay with factory hood and radiator clearance, as far as handling goes we have yet to see a negitive affect on suspension for this swap and we have been track testing for months. We have been performing these swaps locally at little to no cost for reliability testing before we release the kits completely in 2013. we have been building rx7's for years, we have a number of customers with fd3s that we have our 13brew single turbo kit on. we chose the rb26 due to is amazing gas mileage, rpm band, and powerband not to mention reliability. The term japppaaaann motor or rice burners is rather negitive. I have tuned and built plenty of your saposid "rice burners" to eat vipers, corvettes and ferrari's. I actually find that term a bit racist as we don't call lambos or ferraris spaghetti burners. The fact is everyone has different preferences and they all make great numbers depending on tuning.
Old 10-18-2012 | 08:24 PM
EMPmotorsport
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Nice to see something different. Does the motor really sit up that high, or was that just a test-fit? O_o

I'm going to throw in my .02 just because i can:
(Re: MPG versus an LS) My cammed and poorly tuned LS1 gets 23mpg in town. How much better is it going to get?
Also, the turbo transaxle on these cars is only rated to ~450rwhp, so i don't see the point of a big turbo, or an RB. You can get 450rwhp out of the stock turbo engines in these cars, so why go through all the work?

I still think it's neat, and i'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings about it--but sometimes someone needs to play devil's advocate.
Ok so gas mileage/hp numbers ect. The 26 can average as high as 33mpg depending on how u drive. and I have personally fed one that was seeing 20mpg light throttle 9mpg heavy throttle in my personal s13 swapped car dyno'd at 1334rwhp utilizing a rb34 with compound turbos. If anyone is wondering rb34? Its a rb30 stroked to a 34 using a spool crank with a rb26 head. Now back to the 944 As far as trans we have a non turbo non LSD trans in our current test car and have not seen any issues yet. The kit was built to see 500 peak wheel hp at the top of the rpm band. these engines are extremely responsive as they use individual throttle body's factory. I personally have a few of our product engineers designing a 968 trans swap. This will elevate the hp numbers if u wish to go higher but as we all know the 944 doesn't really need any more power than that.
450whp? Yes it can but it's expensive. Also most people who buy these cars buy the easy to find cheap non turbos. So it's just another option for a motor swap when the factory engine dies. We all love these vehicles its a passion for us. Y not play

Last edited by EMPmotorsport; 10-18-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2012 | 09:52 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Just out of curiosity, do you plan on drag racing one of these swaps?

I've found a very cheap way to make these engines stonger and make pretty good power, but I'm always open to seeing what it can compare to.

Looking forward to seeing what these end up doing.
Old 10-18-2012 | 10:11 PM
EMPmotorsport
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blown 944
Just out of curiosity,
you plan on drag racing one of these swaps?

I've found a very cheap way to make these engines stonger and make pretty good power, but I'm always open to seeing what it can compare to.

Looking forward to seeing what these end up doing.
We will be drag testing our test car. The current people that have this swap have done launches. They reported it launches good just have to get the hang of the car. I'm personally nervous to test our swapped car due to the small trans that's in it. If we end up blowing the trans pref blowing the ring and pinon on the drag strip at 550hp we will replace with the 968 trans. And sense your in Colorado you are more than welcome to come down to Albuquerque and test with us maybe even line them up
Old 10-19-2012 | 01:00 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Edit: I guess i should clarify:

The 951, 944 S2, and 968 transmissions are all about the same strength. The 968 transmission is a 6-speed, and is geared pretty similarly to the S2 trans.
Old 10-19-2012 | 01:04 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
The 968 trans is not stronger, it just has an extra gear (and it's on the low end). The 951 boxes are the strongest.
Proof, data, something?

The 968 ring gear is quite a bit bigger than the 951, which is the most likely thing to break in the 951 trans.
Old 10-19-2012 | 02:58 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

"Most likely thing to break in the 951 trans": Not from what i've read, but i haven't killed any myself (i live at elevation, so my actual power is not that exciting!).
See page 4 here for typical breakages (this info is mostly from GT40's):
http://garage.ideola.com/downloads/G...eteTinucci.pdf

Page 14 is where the 968 info starts, but, to save you the reading:
"968 01E ...based on the AUDI 01E design and previous 016 design... The update that this transaxle got from the 083 version is the slightly larger ring gear (.3"), larger pinion bearing, and wider 3rd gear."

"Based on what i have found this transaxle should be equal in strength to the 951 083 5 speed. So other than different gear ratios, there is no strength advantage."

Maybe not the final say on it, but it's not a BS source by any means!

I would love to find a super-strong and smooth shifting transaxle for these cars that doesn't require re-engineering the entire back half of the car

Quick Reply: RB26 or 2JZ in a 944? Good or Bad?