Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advetures in '88 944 NA....that sat for 15yrs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:21 AM
gekkoracing7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advetures in '88 944 NA....that sat for 15yrs.

Well.....a put my 944 on jack stands...yoinked wheels off.....mmm rusted rotors....looks like surface though. Cob webs everywhere.....vacuumed car interior....cleaning up rodent poo....everywhere!!!
Yay! Found owners manual.....no actual records though Oh look the driver's door stop is broken..and missing a bolt...oh there it is in the door pocket.....(pulls door panel)....ahhh....wonder what these cost??? $$$
Let's start under hood.....air box comes out easy enough...hmmm half the bolts are loose/missing......wa ha! the rodents got hungry on plug wires (gonna replace em anyway, but still). Man these come out like a bitch.....guess I'll pull the fuel rail (gonna send injectors to Witch guy)....like OMG the fuel line has been hacked and , ahem, "fixed".....hmmm vacuum lines melted...apart....and flattened....maybe thats why the car had fuel issues. Gawd does old fuel steeeeenk!!!
Well I know where that lil panel under carpet is.....tommorow....fuel pump is gonna come out and the old steenky fuel too! Maybe even tear down front of engine....wonder if the rodents wiggled in to eat the TB and BB?

Did I mention the rodent poo?

More thoughts tomm.......time for 944 dreams.......<yawn>

Ben
Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

sounds like a good day. best of luck in your newfound obsession.
welcome to the family.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 AM
fressssssh
Instructor

Sounds fun... hahaha
Old 02-13-2011, 07:34 AM
mark_uss
Racer

welcome aboard..sound like fun..if u have a garage in more addictible..
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 AM
hevquip
Racer

hope it was cheap...or free!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

well..........good luck with teh work.............if sat fer fifteen yeers u might i bet the rubber cintered clutch is dead so be prepared.............for that......also be pripared for LOTS problems with teh eletric system including grounds and any wires that were chewid on......defintly don't start it until you replace the tbelt and ballance belts........prolly needs seels also.........
Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM
jcslocum
Instructor

Pull the intake and replace all of the vacuum hoses under it and clean the idle valve too. Clean all of the engine grounds as well.

Heater hoses and radiator hoses... Well anything rubber!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM
gekkoracing7
Track Day

Hey thanks again for the advice and good wishes! She sits in my garage, so weather plays no part. As far as the clutch is concerned, from what I can see....looks like it may have been upgraded (crosses fingers)! All the coolant hoses are ging to get replaced, obviously the TB and BB, along with fan belts. As far as grounds and all...I've checked a few so far....they look pristine, believe it or not! Even though this car has sat for so long, rodent poo and all....she still is in very excellent shape! 125k on the odometer....arm rest lid still intact, no tears,fading or what not on interior.....dash is cracked, to be expected . I'm still debating on dropping the motor out or trans........which is "easier" ? If engine gets dropped, going for a complete reseal.......if trans drops....RMS...and ?
Thanks again guys! Definately going become a paying member shortly hehehe....it's always about the $$$

Ben
Old 02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
gekkoracing7
Track Day

Here's a link to the "on jack stands " picture! http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/gekkoracing7/
BTW, only paid a grand for her......which I think is a good deal, because she is exactly what I wanted!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
dontnow
Pro

Here you go..
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having done both, and judging by the amount of time it has been parked, I would drop both and be prepared to overhaul the entire setup! do the trans and engine reseals... just trust me...

Is that medium slate gray, that would be the third one I have seen this week (88NA medium slate gray, includes the one I drive..)

AND good luck, keep us in the loop, and enjoy it..

and it sat for 15 years, and has 124K? wow... my 88 wasn't ever "parked" but should be turning 100K this week (99,7 and change right now...)
Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 AM
gekkoracing7
Track Day

Thanks "dontnow" for posting the pic up!!!!

I was kinda thinkin that too JohnKoaWood ........if I yoink the engine down....transaxle isn't that much further a chore. Now to find,beg,borrow, or steal (hehe) the hoist and stand!! Woot!

Ben
Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gekkoracing7
Thanks "dontnow" for posting the pic up!!!!

I was kinda thinkin that too JohnKoaWood ........if I yoink the engine down....transaxle isn't that much further a chore. Now to find,beg,borrow, or steal (hehe) the hoist and stand!! Woot!

Ben

And you can call me JoKA, most everyone round here does...

Also while you are at it, you can drop and rehab the suspension bits (bushings, ball joints, shocks and struts, etc.. my NA is sticking close to stock for most bits, but I have a few upgrades on her)... beyond the motor and transaxle it is just 6 more bolts, and most of them have to come out to get the torque tube out!

It isn't the projects that will bite you, it is the "while in there" bug...

Dropping the engine, transaxle, suspension, everything else under the car, can be done on jackstands.. I have never used a lift for working on my P-cars, and have done just about everything there is to do... just about.. but should in the coming months take care of those things I haven't yet done...

My NA repair thread.. (http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27121) it has been a long month, with many $$ spent, but was rewarded this morning with my drive to work!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any idea why it was parked?
You can certainly disassemble everything now, but you may want to get the belts and fluids changed and get it running before you start tearing it apart. Just for diagnosis.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

what I was thinking.

Would suck to do every WYATIT and miss a cracked block!

Quick Reply: Advetures in '88 944 NA....that sat for 15yrs.