Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500+Whp for under 5 grand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But if you think about it it is making far more horsepower per dollar
Old 12-22-2010, 02:46 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
You're very right here...I'm about 10K into my car including the purchase of the car and ALL of the parts i've put into it and i'm waiting to put into it. I even have a turbo trans ready to go in...but i'm not pushing 500 RWHP, maybe 325 or 350 for me...If i were to go to 500, i'd probably need a turbo s box, a brand new clutch kit, as well as bellhousing and hydraulics to run all that crap...so it'd be at least another 3-4 grand on top of the cost of the engine upgrades to run that semi reliably...not even talking about wheels, tires, axles, mounts bla bla bla...What i learned in my build was the motor was the cheapest damned part of the whole shebang!
You ever get down into Southern Md or Waldorf at all?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
How much is a stock 951 S block going for these days?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
Not even close - once you figure in the cost of swapping into a 944.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I may be wrong, but this thread isn't about a V8 swap or the costs of swapping. Its about a relatively inexpensive truck engine making big numbers going into a big pickup. The OP didn't mention anything about a 951/944.

It, and lots of other engines make big HP and great TQ for less $$. A 951 engine would suck in my 1 ton dually pulling my 14,000lb camper, but THAT would be a swap for amusement purposes.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddk911
You ever get down into Southern Md or Waldorf at all?
all the time man! I'm down at Doug's (Doug's951) place in SoMD all the time. have some family friends in Prince Frederick too.

back to the previously scheduled program...

I agree that the OP was not necessarily talking about a 944 V8 swap...i was just making an analogy concerning heavy increases in horsepower in any vehicle. Taking a Chevy truck that came with a torque biased motor with probably 330 crank horsepower, and putting a 500+ rwhp motor in it will strain the drivetrain just like putting a 400 bhp motor in a 944...eh hem...ask my cv's about that. Now a chevy truck is A. Newer. B. Built to handle much more strain on the drivetrain (towing and hauling etc). But an increase in stress is an increase in stress and should eventually be dealt with, preferably before breakin' stuff!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
erm....how much to turbo s' run these days? Because if i subtracted out labor for work i didn't do and the paintjob i put on the car....i'm down around 7-8 grand...now granted i don't have turbo s brakes or a turbo s trans, but if i were to swap a turbo s motor into my car it would cost a HELL of a lot more to do than what this motor cost me...and i spent WAY to much on fun parts for the motor...hehe
Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what is your HP?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

its going in my porsche after a little in the truck. For business purposes its going in the truck for 10k miles then im planning on putting it in my car. It definitely cant cost as much as everyone is making it out to cost. But we will see. BTW its built for boost. This exact engine i made with a rear mount turbo running 4lbs boost made 800+hp and they said they could have gone more.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 AM
scottishmaximus
Track Day

Originally Posted by toddk911
Nice!

But if you think about it, that motor is making less hp per liter than a stock 951 S.
You are ignoring that fact that the 951 has a turbo... remove the turbo and see how many HP per liter it makes. Not really an apples to apples comparison is all I'm saying.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:45 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

So what is your HP?
I put a rough estimate of between 325 and 375 at the wheels...i've never had it dyno'd....i had a dyno run scheduled in the spring but the car decided to act up and not want to go anywhere...so i canceled it. I'll dyno it this spring and post up real numbers. There is some reasoning behind those numbers as well, i've researched motors with similar mods to mine and i've seen them run well over 400 whp with the only difference being their cam being a little larger than mine.

Now one thing you might want to take into consideration is the (probably) thousands of hours of r&d that went into my car, as well as all of my labor (since i did the entire swap myself). If you count all of that the cost of my swap goes up significantly, but for me, labor is free, just costs the price of bottled water to keep in the fridge!

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
its going in my porsche after a little in the truck. For business purposes its going in the truck for 10k miles then im planning on putting it in my car. It definitely cant cost as much as everyone is making it out to cost. But we will see. BTW its built for boost. This exact engine i made with a rear mount turbo running 4lbs boost made 800+hp and they said they could have gone more.
ooooOOOOOoooo...sounds like it's going to be a ball!!!

Where the cost really gets you is when you add up all the little BS stuff...like a valve cover breather for you new aluminum valve covers, or if you're LT1 a corvette fuel rail, and fuel lines, and clamps, and radiator hoses to go from the chevy to the porsche and back...you get the point. If you add all of that up you're numbers will surprise you!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:04 AM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

I read the title and thought in my head, "Heh, we got another one on our hands". Once I opened the thread and read the first posting I shook my head in agreement. Lucky!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:22 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car

ooooOOOOOoooo...sounds like it's going to be a ball!!!

Where the cost really gets you is when you add up all the little BS stuff...like a valve cover breather for you new aluminum valve covers, or if you're LT1 a corvette fuel rail, and fuel lines, and clamps, and radiator hoses to go from the chevy to the porsche and back...you get the point. If you add all of that up you're numbers will surprise you!
Shouldnt be that much. Why would i need aluminum valve covers? the ones on this one are fine and i already have a breather tank on the truck. ill just swap that over and the fuel rail should be fine. not to worried. Really worried about keeping it cool though.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:42 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

ummm, how 'bout add 150 k miles to the whole affair and let me know how you did..... over the long haul i'll bet you come out pretty close, if the V8 doesn't win outright... then, you can add a mounain of mid-range power and torque under the curve, and hardly ever find yourself slowing down in high gear and returning to throttle with no power.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:22 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
Shouldnt be that much. Why would i need aluminum valve covers? the ones on this one are fine and i already have a breather tank on the truck. ill just swap that over and the fuel rail should be fine. not to worried. Really worried about keeping it cool though.
those were just examples i used from my recent rebuild to show how things seem to pile up...could be something like a missing harness plug turning into a front engine reseal because you have to add a sensor here and a keyed crank reluctor there. Just trying to say in more specific terms what was said before about doubling or tripling your budget for all the little trinkets and the stuff that sneaks up and bites you in the ***.

Quick Reply: 500+Whp for under 5 grand?