Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eram supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:21 AM
MichaelK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me what the boost in PSI is from a forced "Ram Air" type induction is? Some of those hood scoops aren't just glue on, fiberglass crap and actually force some air into the engine right?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:11 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelK
Can anyone tell me what the boost in PSI is from a forced "Ram Air" type induction is? Some of those hood scoops aren't just glue on, fiberglass crap and actually force some air into the engine right?
your'e right,. functional hood scoops are designed to perform the ram air type, which can cause a supercharging effect at high speeds. 1 psi means a single psi above atmospheric presser, which is 14.7 ps, which is 1 BAR. so when a 951 is boosting at 1.5 BAR, it is boosting at about 11 psi.

it's interesting to me that real hood scoops are indeed beneficial ...despite any air resistance they might be the cause of. this is an example of the benefits outweighing the negatives (at certain speeds, at least).

basically this eram thing assumes to steal power (mechanical motion) directly from the engine and use it to create air pressure that the engine will ultimately use to create greater power. if it takes energy from the battery, it's less efficient because the engine has to charge the battery first.

for this thing to work, energy is going to be lost along the way to heat and friction , so i don't see it being beneficial overall.

why cant we use more of the exhaust pressure to create more power? there must be a way to avoid "clogging" the system.

let's invent something! we have the brains of hundreds of people on here! woo hoOO!

why do superchargers work??!!!?! they steal engine power, too...right??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_induction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

Last edited by bonus12; 12-06-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12

why cant we use more of the exhaust pressure to create more power?

there must be a way to avoid "clogging" the system.

what you're describing is called a "t u r b i n e."

you can't get half pregnant....

please press play....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-GjR...layer_embedded
Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
what you're describing is called a "t u r b i n e."
um...not necessarily odurindina.
i think you and i already realize some exhaust gases are used to power the turbosupercharger, otherwise known as the turbocharger. this delivers power via a turbine (rotational energy), but there are more possibilities. i was not describing anything in particular, but i think that maybe the remaining exhaust gases can be used as well to additionally power something entirely different...without restricting airflow through the system.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

You are forgetting that there is a fair amount of good paid people that are thinking about these possibilities every single day for more than 100 years. And they still did not come with usable solution.

I wonder why if according to this kind of threads all it takes is a server fan in a hose.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Whether someone works on something for 100 years or 200 years, why does that matter. Golfers have been trying to figure out how to hit a ball further for hundreds of years and it is only in the last 10 years that they figured out what titanium could do. Also realize that solutions usually come from other areas. Things like this are figured out by using by-products. Titanium was a by-product of the space industry adapted to golf. The eram seems to have provided gains in independant tests so it looks like the theory is there and possible. The missing link seems to be finding a stronger turbine that builds pressure more efficiently, and batteries that are stronger and lighter. At that point then cost comes into play. Can someone build a simple bolt on system that would be in line with what older sports car owners are willing to pay for the gains it can deliver? That might be the biggest hurdle in the entire senario.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by Voith

You are forgetting that there is a fair amount of good paid people that are thinking about these possibilities every single day for more than 100 years. And they still did not come with usable solution.

well, they did. they determined that no effort is worth doing unless there is a big payoff.

1. add 2, 4, 6 additional cylinders...

2. turbochargers.

3. intercoolers.

4. blowers (sometimes).

and in response to your posting....

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the eram does not work and here's why. the eram is a blower fan. it blows CFM (cubic feet per minute). it does not create PSI. it does not have a seal.

compare eram to a turbocharger or a centrifigal supercharger (which is just a belt driven turbo) or a lynsholm supercharger, all of which have internal compression. 1 cubic foot of air draw into one of these units comes out at less than 1 cubic foot of air under pressure.

compare eram to a eaton/roots supercharger, which does not have internal compression. both do not compress the incoming air. however, the eaton/roots does have a seal preventing the output air from rushing backwards out of the intake manifold.

take an eram, connect it to a closed box, put a vac/boost gauge on the box (sealed of course). turn on the eram. u won't get a readable boost reading.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
krystar
Drifting

to add.

there is an electric supercharger that works. it's called the thomas knight ESC. it's basically a centrifigal supercharger that isn't belt driven, it's electric motor driven from battery bank.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

i predicted that would be the ONLY possible system that could ever create a psi or two.

do i get a cookie ?

i'm no expert on roots blowers. but roots blowers do, indeed produce boost. that boost is contained in an extremely small area inside the intake manifold, make TONS of heat, (poor adiabadic efficiency), operate well over a much more limited rpm range (which requires you pick your poison carefully, and thus, makes them particularly attractive for drag racing)...

and the bigger the boost, the bigger the party... and explosion.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 PM
krystar
Drifting

roots blowers of course produce boost. but it's not internal compression. a roots blower moves air. it doesn't compress air. the compression happens as a result of the amount of air moved by the blower and is forced into intake manifold.

i got a roots on my other car. fun as hell and no lag. linear power output. sure it's not efficient...but boost is not about efficiency now is it? hehe
Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

well, they did. they determined that no effort is worth doing unless there is a big payoff.

1. add 2, 4, 6 additional cylinders...

2. turbochargers.

3. intercoolers.

4. blowers (sometimes).

and in response to your posting....

you are welcome.

I was implying on electric force induction. 100 years of thinkering by thousands of best engeneers and still nothing. Tough s*!t. Too bad tesla is dead. Maybe he would put 40 erams together to produce 1001 horsepower on Na 944 with 320k miles. And it would stop oil leaks too, for good measure.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I'm sure Tesla could have done it...
Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

+ 1.... were were like a chorus playing like a broken record.

saving him hundreds of dollars.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,229 Posts

i predicted that would be the ONLY possible system that could ever create a psi or two.

do i get a cookie ?
You get something along the lines of an Enzo........

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ercharger.html

Like most topics, this has been covered

Quick Reply: eram supercharger