Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eram supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welll... for arguments sake.... yes, it would produce some extra power... but negligible. 1.7 psi really isnt much, you are talking limited gains, maybe 12HP... but with a motor driven unit (electric) you would lose the extra gain by having a higher demand on the alternator to recharge the battery. This is why turbos are sooo efficient. They are producing power from waste (heat) from the exhaust and costing very very little in HP loss.

Another important thing to keep in mind is flow from the unit. It could produce a static 10 psi, but if it was only at 1cfm, it wouldnt do you any good. The idea is to balance CFM and pressure to get the best efficiency from the unit. More CFM vs less boost usually equals more power TTW, but only to a point. If you cant spool it, what's the purpose?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

+ 1,000,000.

that's what i've been saying. the alternator will be killing the gain.

for me there are 2 choices for the long miles i put on my car every year.

1. stay the course. change to LSx power. (waiting 'til the engine's dead).

2. turbocharging.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

For an NA, even if you made 1.7 psi without being battery powered, it's not going to increase performance without a tune. Kuhl was being more than civil. If you want to learn more about this, why not buy a book on performance (or even physics)?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Turbocharging beats and V8 conversion in my book... Ive been the V8 road with many a car, and am a total sucker for unique 4 cyl Turbo vehicle... hence a few of my last vehicles being 2.3L Lima Ford motors made for the Pinto.... Nothing like the grin off of a V8 guy when you take them for a ride in a turbo'd car... same response everytime.. "you sure that aint a v8 under there??" Nah man, Im sure..LOL

A few years ago I built a 92 Mustang with a dead tranny and engine into a 2.3T powered fun car... I bought the car as a pretty much roller and built the motor, turbo setup and change auto tranny to a 5 speed for under 2K... I miss that fun little car. Had a buddy at work with a 383ci Dodge Dakota that kept talking trash about my buddies and my GT's that were all motor fast cars... I offered him race against my " little 4 cylinder" and told him that if he couldnt beat it, and handedly, he didnt want to run the other two. So the race ensued (with witnesses) and I pulled him by 2 cars with a slipping clutch. He got out all excitied about the 383 and I said how about that 4 cylinder... he said no way, I then popped the hood and watch his jaw hit the pavement....this is the reason I love the 4 cylinder turbo'd cars (except 90% of the Japanese stuff)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK lets say for theory that you could double the 1.7 and get it to 3.4psi using a small centrifigul SC. So that would get the 944 to about the HP that I think the stock drivetrain can safely take. This power would only come on when at full throttle, so on a 50 mile drive you might only use it for passing power for a minute or two. Basically like a nitrous shot but cheaper than nitrous. I do not think it is here now, but I can see where advancement in electric motor tech. and battery technology could get there and do it efficiently. If the system plugged into your garage you would still get the same fuel miliage and your power would come at the cost of pennies a day running a battery charger. If this sounds possible I am just going back to an earlier point I made. I do not think all the guys working on this are scammers, unfortunatly most are and then when anyone even asks a question about it they are ridiculed. Thanks for your informed responses, at least the ones that did not tell me to read a book, or tell me that there head is going to explode.

Last edited by rgs944; 12-05-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 AM
MichaelK
Instructor

Would something capacitor driven be a better option? If you slowly charged up a few capacitors with "extra" juice you had from times when the engine was working hard or idling you wouldn't use much extra to get it running. I would think you would have to activate it and then let it charge up again. THis would be much more like the nitrous shot RGS944 is talking about.

If you want to see something interesting, attach a leaf blower to your intake and start up the car. A leaf blower can generate between 1-2 PSI of charged pressure.
This made me laugh picturing this . . . and then it made me want to go borrow a leaf blower.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelK
Would something capacitor driven be a better option? If you slowly charged up a few capacitors with "extra" juice you had from times when the engine was working hard or idling you wouldn't use much extra to get it running. I would think you would have to activate it and then let it charge up again. THis would be much more like the nitrous shot RGS944 is talking about.

This made me laugh picturing this . . . and then it made me want to go borrow a leaf blower.
Well there's some innovative thinking. That would certainly solve some of the issues, and you could have some sort of bypass for when the "super charger" is not in use. However that would still require a HUGE capacitor/s and a way to charge the monster. Kind of a pointless discussion though because like people have already said, the turbochargers of today are efficient enough. Seems to me that the real answers to these questions might be better answered by people who do this for a living like the engineers at Porsche. I mean we are talking about designing a new type of forced induction not putting a tiny blower motor in your intake boot. I think the whole idea is not practical and flawed from the beginning so why make an attempt.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:19 AM
kombatrok
Pro

So why not just run nitrous... its cheap and easy.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:24 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE=rgs944;8108121]Here is something that I am still not clear about. Let's say for just a stupid argument that you had a hampster under your hood that was strong enough and fast enough to produce boost.

LOL = rgs944 your theory is not so far fetch,look at this ,they already using them on Canadian Ice Breaker so why not on a 944.My brain is going numb from reading the numbers you guys are juggling with,so why not take a break & have a laugth.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kombatrok
So why not just run nitrous... its cheap and easy.

our cars are not made for that ****. burns too hot, and it's the antithesis of engineering.

the philosophy here is to build. not run nitrous oxide.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:54 AM
kombatrok
Pro

Nitrous has been used since the second world war... and there are plenty of engines that are built specifically to use it.

It is just as valid a power adder as turbo or supercharging.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Nice Ernie, A good laugh is good, I thought my al gore joke from earlier on this post was kind of funny. Hopefully I was'nt the only one laughing anyway. As far as the ice breaker, I want to know why it needs to be 12 stories high? It's taller than the damn hamster.

Last edited by rgs944; 12-05-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol...buy a 951...it sounds easier.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:00 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

someone's signature may be appearing a bit ironic at this point.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Here is a link to a very balanced critique on this subject. Notice that he is completly independent and fair. Qoute, "short answer is they don't work, long answer is they DO". Even this guy seperates the true con artist from the e-ram product and the Knight product. Whether these products do everything claimed or not is debatable, but I believe they are credible guys working on a real solution.

http://www.streettostrip.com/content/view/41/40

Quick Reply: eram supercharger