Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tow a 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 06:20 PM
94415atocrosswanabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post how to tow a 944

Is there any sort of tow eye or hook on the n/a. Im just wondering where to hook up to to pull the car on a flat bed tow truck in case i break down one day.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Not sure about the US models, but the Euro N/A's came with a tow eye (in the tool set) that fits in the rear and front bumpers.

Both are on the passanger side, in the rear bumper the hole is covered with a plastic cap and in the front it's under the black bumperette.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:21 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I've never had a problem with towing these cars if the company uses a flat bed truck with the cradle-system for the front wheels.
Most of the newer trucks I've seen actually don't use any sort of tow eye linkup; the cradle actually pulls the car (via its front wheels) onto the flat-bed (that is lowered/angled.)
Just ask to make sure the truck is a flat-bed, and ask how it loads (explain that you don't use a tow-eye.) All of the towing guys I've dealt with thus far know exactly what you're talking about when you tell them you don't have a tow-eye setup.

Micah
Old 10-23-2002, 09:31 PM
BartW
Racer

take it from someone who drove tow trucks before and has hauled cars on multi-car transporters for years. There are what are called T-hooks on our cars, at least mine has them both front and rear. Anyone who is towing your car should use those as the tie down location. As far as requiring a flat bed- that is a myth, if you have a good tow operator, like I like to think of myself as one, you can tow it with a wrecker you just have to be more careful. I towed plenty of 911s, 928's, and 44s with wreckers and never damaged one. If you don't know the guy towing though you are probably safer on a flatbed, just make sure he uses the T-hook slots and not your control arms for hooking onto. Another thing that you can do is go to your nearest AAA towing facility and ask them for the book that AAA publishes every year with specific instructions of where to hook and how to tow all the passenger vehicles up to that year. The book will show the location of the hook up points and explain the type of chain and hook necessary for your vehicle. It probably would not be a bad idea for one of us to get a copy of the 944 page so it can be posted on here and everyone can print it and put it in your glovebox for just in case you are somewhere where you don't know the towing company or their reputation.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:16 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by BartW:
<strong>It probably would not be a bad idea for one of us to get a copy of the 944 page so it can be posted on here and everyone can print it and put it in your glovebox for just in case you are somewhere where you don't know the towing company or their reputation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

*BUMP*!
Old 10-24-2002, 07:31 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
It depends on the year and model of your 944. The earlier versions came with holddown brackets attached to the frame in front. These were removed after vehicle arrived at dealer as part of the dealer prep. Later models, 951 & S2, have the tow-eye which screws into the center post in the center cut-out. It's covered by a black plastic piece.

The T-Hook works on 928's because they have the brackets attached behind the front wheel wells.

I have a set of the bolt on brackets for 944s. I picked them up off of eBay.

But I always try to have my vehicles towed on a flatbed.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently had my 944 towed by a standard wrecker (Monday night). Like BartW, he said that it was not necessary to have these cars towed by a flat bed, if the operator knows what he is doing.

He inspected the car before he agreed to tow it – he wanted to make sure that he would not cause any damage using a standard tow truck. He told me his truck was a flat bed, but it was not available so he was using his bosses tricked standard tow truck.

I explained that I had just had my tires replaced and the car aligned and he told me that the towing should not affect either of these.

After he repeatedly asked me if the car was rear or front drive, he raised the rear of the car and towed it that way. He also locked the steering wheel in the straight position.

The car is still sick, so it will not be until this weekend that I get to see how the alignment feels to see if he was right.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:17 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about you guys, but the cheapest way I found to tow a 944 was with a rented tow dolly.

Cost me 30 USD/day for 130 miles + gas! (0,43$ per mile). Compared to the time I got in on a flat bed for 19 miles and 45 bucks (2,37$ per mile).

Don't forget, you want to tie down the REAR wheels on the dolly so you won't dammage anything. The longest part of it all was to actually find a dolly that would fit under my lowered car... took half a day!

Quick Reply: how to tow a 944