Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S Forsale

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 11:34 AM
ramshankar
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 924S Forsale

Hi

I have a '88 black 924S with almost 102K miles on it. I purchased this car last year from Boston and have been using it in Western Mass over the past year and half.

I did the T-Belt, replaced a defective tension roller, found that the water pump was a recently replaced by the previous owner with a rebuilt one, changed the A/C clutch and replaced the factory stereo player with a new Blaupunkt cassette player. This was in July or August of 2001.

This year I had replaced Engine mounts, struts, radiator hoses, and so on.

All in all I have spent about $4000 so far.

The car has the following problems:
1. Hard Starting. I think this problem is infamous for all 944 engines. Initially when I just got the car the previous owners had mentioned this problem and that they have fixed something to get this fixed. But in less than a month, this started reappearing. Sometimes the engine would repeatedly crank and not start. I initially observed a hot start but nowadays it is just hard to start sometimes. I recently took it to the mechanic to fix this problem and he found the fuel filter to be dirty and replaced it. He found that the coil was broken and mentioned that there was no spark. I replaced the coil as well. This was about a couple a months ago. I also replaced the check valve in the fuel pump thinking that it will solve the problem.
It has now started to reappear. I found that the fuel injectors could be dirty and porsche's 944 manual mentions the chevron fuel additive. I have not tried this yet.

2. Noisy. 'Roar'y rather. As soon as I replaced the engine mounts, which were in a bad shape, the engine had become quieter. Now, I found that the wee end of the exhaust pipe has a breadth wise 3 inch hole due to rust, near the joint to the muffler. I believe this is causing the extra roar. But I noticed a 944 in the area I am in, which has a smaller pipe and makes a substantial roar, which the owner actually thinks is a tribute to the technology
3. Bearing rattle. Apparently there is a weak but perceptible rattle from the front end which is caused by the mounts. I dont believe it to be from the front end components like T-belt arrangement, rollers or the water pump as they have been recently replaced. The mechanic I took to for the starting trouble mentioned that it is due to hydraulics which will not cause any problem in the next few years.

5. Brake fluid flush. I had put this on hold as the mechanic who checked the starting problem recently says it is clean.

6. Battery. I have cranked the vehicle so many times that this new battery, about seven months old, has become weak.

7. Tires. The tires were replaced in mid-1999 and have done about 13000 miles since. The brakes were done in a likewise period. One of the front tires was recently replaced as it went flat.

I dont see any more reasons to belittle the car as it has served me very well otherwise. I wanted to hold it for a while when I set about doing these repairs, but increasingly I find that I neither have the time not the expertise of a mechanic to deal with the starting trouble myself.

I am looking to sell it owing to a number of reasons

1. These mechanics, one in Springfield, MA, called Robison porsche service, and the other in Northampton,MA, are good but they have not fixed the starting trouble so far. I am looking forward to real enthusiasts, people who know about these cars personally and have relevant expertise to deal with fixing it. Money is another reason as I have been paying a lot for these experts who have not done a reasonable job on the hard starting problem. Partly, I believe, because they work on 911s and other related expensive types of Porshes.

2. Since I will be leaving the country or going to grad school elsewhere in this country, I need to sell, as it is a $1000+ liablity when I shift around.

I am looking to sell it for under $2000 or someone to payoff the loan on the car which is around $1800 dollars in the next month. It will be convinient if you are located near Western Massachusetts as it would be convinient to check the car out in person.

Thanks
email: r_ram_shankar@hotmail.com
413-549-1770 message
413-545-3899 days
Old 10-17-2002, 12:27 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ram:
I'm interested. Do you have pictures?
Do you know if the clutch was replaced by the previous owner?

Bearing rattle: do you mean wheel bearings are going or the rod bearings? (Big difference in repair costs!)

-Zoltan.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:22 PM
ramshankar
Cruisin'

I have some pictures. I just loaded them on web. find them at
<a href="http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~rramanar/porsche.jpg" target="_blank">http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~rramanar/porsche.jpg</a>
<a href="http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~rramanar/porsche1.jpg" target="_blank">http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~rramanar/porsche1.jpg</a>
<a href="http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~rramanar/porsche2.jpg" target="_blank">http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~rramanar/porsche2.jpg</a>

The clutch was replaced in 1999. I found this from the maintenance records from the previous owner.

I dont exactly understand what you have asked about the bearing rattle. As far as my understanding of the plug I got from my new mechanic, the hydralics are weak. He says a regular oil change will ensure that they last longer, possibly by a few years.

I dont think otherwise as the front end has been dissected by these guys at Robison service over the last year.

Basically the problem goes like this. The mechanics from Park and weisz or something, from Framingham, MA, I dont remember the exact name of this well known garage, mentioned that the noise is from the front end and that my case was a screw over by Robison service. But when I told this to Robison service, they vehemently denied that they did a bad job with the front end. So I left both of these guys and got my friend's AUDI, BMW mechanic to look over the starting problem almost a couple of months ago.

Trouble is the ones at Framingham are probably not 944 experts. They are experts, I guess, with the 8 cylinder types. Or probably they are very sensitive to any kind of noise in the car.

I have all of the service records and most of the important ones from the previous owners.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:20 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I had only known about this a couple of weeks ago
Old 10-18-2002, 02:22 PM
ramshankar
Cruisin'

Just trying to keep this thread alive...

Old 10-21-2002, 03:06 PM
ramshankar
Cruisin'

Cool

ditto
Old 10-21-2002, 03:06 PM
ramshankar
Cruisin'

Cool

ditto
Old 10-21-2002, 05:41 PM
Ryan Z
Pro

you go to U-Mass amherst? i kno lots of people there. ur car looks interesting....maybe i'll see if my dad might want it...we live in southeastern MA
Old 10-24-2002, 12:42 PM
ramshankar
Cruisin'

Talking

THISS ISSH a "live" thread...

Quick Reply: 924S Forsale